Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Commute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

syklops wrote: »
    Try and engage in the conversation, or take your knee jerk disgust elsewhere.

Agree with you, you mean -no thanks.
    I would much rather live in Dublin and get to spend the evening with my loved ones, then spending it on a Bus or train, or in a car on my own listening to Mary Kennedy or Miles Dungan.

That's nice. Now maybe you should learn that not everybody wants to live their life the way you do and that it's really none of your business to question other people's personal decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's insane being honest. I travel from up and down to college everyday, it all depends whether I drive or get the train, but I am looking at inbetween an hour - an hour and half at the very least.. By the end of the week I am wreaked and use one day to catch up on sleep. Nothing like public transport to crush ones soul imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

To be fair commuting from Navan or Ashbourne is handy enough, especially if you're working in the Blanchardstown area. If anyone commuting from the Westmeath or Cavan borders believed it was a 45 minute commute to Dublin City centre without bothering to check it themselves the deserve what they got to be honest.

Meath to Blanch ... you said it. How many people work there.

Now try city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wont quote storminateacup because I dont want her to feel I am preaching to her, but for me, if it was my child in the picture, I would set my wife up in a nice affordable flat near my job and then when work was done I could spend as much time with them as I could and put the commute money in the bank. That way child is looked after, and I get to see them without spending 20 hours a week in the company of Bus Eireann. I dont think that kind of commute is sustainable, and it eventually does damage to the family unit and the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jess16 wrote: »
    Agree with you, you mean -no thanks.

This is a discussion forum. We discuss. Disagree with me by all means, but please engage in the conversation.
    Jess16 wrote: »
    That's nice. Now maybe you should learn that not everybody wants to live their life the way you do and that it's really none of your business to question other people's personal decisions

Again, its a discussion forum, if you dont want your decisions on your methods of commute questioned, dont post them on a public forum, in a thread discussing the topic of commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

This is a discussion forum. We discuss. Disagree with me by all means, but please engage in the conversation

Please understand that negating your questions is engaging in the conversation.
    Again, its a discussion forum, if you dont want your decisions on your methods of commute questioned, dont post them on a public forum, in a thread discussing the topic of commuting.

I'm fully aware it's a discussion forum thank you. It's not the discussion I don't like, it's your condescending attitude.

You work to live, not live to work and if people feel their lives are elsewhere, that's where they should stay, regardless of any job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband has a commute of about 3 hours round trip, driving hard. He could afford to take a 20% wage drop to work closer to home and with being able to downsize the car, less on fuel, less on wear and tear he'd break even. Add to that the fact he feels like he's driving his life away, he'd be happy to loose an extrs 10 - 15% of his wage to be home earlier. He recently applied for a job 5 mins from our house, for a lot less money. I really hope he gets it. The commute is not worth it. Not being home, a 12 hour day, the extra time when the weather is in any way bad, the worry on frosty/snowy nights, the stress of sitting in a car.

My situation is different, I work nights, so my commute, a similar distance, was a 2 hour round trip. However I recently had to sell my car. My new commute, using public transport takes me 2 hours to get to work and 3 hours to get home, meaning my new day is 15 hours, every evening 9pm - 12pm, at the very minumum. I am seriously considering leaving, and having a very hard time with making the decision. My chances of getting another job are not great, we'd be living on one wage, which might be dropping soon too. It's a difficult decision to make. With a mortgage, we can't move closer to our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I think more people in Ireland need to be realistic about work and family life. People are obsessed with raising their kids in the country, but want the kind of well-paying professional jobs that by and large are going to be in a city. But there are only so many hours in the day, and you can't have it all. Yet suggest you raise your kids in Dublin or - GOD FORBID - in a flat instead of a house, and people look at you like you have three heads.

If you want a well-paying professional position and you want to spend time with your family, then be prepared to have a smaller house (for probably more money) but a shorter commute. But it's annoying that people complain about 2-hour commutes because they think they are entitled to both city wages and a country lifestyle. Just pick one and quit whinging.

Wouldn't it be great if it was that black and white. What about the people lost their jobs and have no choice but to commute to work because they couldn't find work closer to home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭opti76

orourkeda wrote: »
    Was it worth it?

No

Whispered wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if it was that black and white. What about the people lost their jobs and have no choice but to commute to work because they couldn't find work closer to home?

That may be an issue now but it wasn't in 2007, and people were still whinging about it back then.

Unemployment wasn't an isssue in 2007? You want people to "quit whinging" 4 years ago? What?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think more people in Ireland need to be realistic about work and family life. People are obsessed with raising their kids in the country, but want the kind of well-paying professional jobs that by and large are going to be in a city. But there are only so many hours in the day, and you can't have it all. Yet suggest you raise your kids in Dublin or - GOD FORBID - in a flat instead of a house, and people look at you like you have three heads.

If you want a well-paying professional position and you want to spend time with your family, then be prepared to have a smaller house (for probably more money) but a shorter commute. But it's annoying that people complain about 2-hour commutes because they think they are entitled to both city wages and a country lifestyle. Just pick one and quit whinging.

I completely agree with your points Southsiderosie. Very long distance commutes destroy quality of life, are bad for the environment, put massive strain on relationships and put people into an early grave.

Ireland as a society has to grow up. The big opportunities are in the big cities. This is a fact of life that people in almost every other country accept - but apparently not Ireland where there is an illogical anti-urban hatred. It's a sign of a selfish and immature society in my opinion.

People making irrationally long commutes talk about having no choice. Often they do have a choice - it's called making trade offs and realising that you can't have your cake and eat it.

I think one factor preventing people from moving closer to thier place of work is the nasty aftermath of the collapse of the property bubble whereby people have a massive albatross of negative equity houses in far flung locations where there are few to no jobs and are forced into long distance commuting to feed the jumbo mortgage. It's tragic.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think one factor preventing people from moving closer to thier place of work is the nasty aftermath of the collapse of the property bubble whereby people have a massive albatross of negative equity houses in far flung locations where there are few to no jobs and are forced into long distance commuting to feed the jumbo mortgage. It's tragic.

That's it exactly, some people are travelling from silly areas to get to work in Dublin. I remember when we were looking to buy, we both had work in the citywest area, we had an estate agent suggest we buy in SLIGO. Fecking sligo. It's easy to see how some people got caught.

Not everyone ended up getting caught like that though. In our case we bought a house within a 30 min drive from our jobs, certainly not a far flung location. Within 3 years we both lost them due to closures and have to travel further. There is no choice, no trade off, we travel or we don't work.

And you're 100% right, it has a massive effect on every part of peoples lives. It's a situation so many have been forced into and it is, as you say, tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

This daft programme had something of an identity crisis: the people featured living abroad are essentially emigrants, not commuters.
    Anyone foolish enough to fly back to Ireland each week to play for a hurling team needs their head examined.
    The midwife from Cork- well its just too bad theres no maternity hospital in her back yard to work in. People have migrated towards work since time immemorial, sadly its not the other way round.

Man up: our forefathers have been emigrating for generations and were lucky to get back from the UK once a year- those in the US and further afield were lucky to come back at all. Thats not to say our diaspora should only come back once a year, but a bit of perspective is needed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'd imagine the lad playing hurling was getting free flights back home each week thanks to the county board. Even was I was playing club football, at u21's with a poor team in a 4 team division, a taxi was arranged to bring me back home for a game one weekend when I wasn't going to be around due to graduation.

If a club pays, a county most definitely pays, especially for their captain.

Matt in Sligo was not a commuter, he worked in London and came home once a month or so. That's just taking advantage of working in a nearby country. Though he really should have just flown in and out of Knock, it's only about 45mins to Ballymote.

The midwife was gaining invaluable experience. As said by her husband, it'll work out better for her if she gets a 6 day on, 6 day off schedule as it'll be cheaper due to less flights and she'll be home longer. The chance of her getting a job right next to home will be slim I would imagine, especially considering she's going to be much older than other newly qualifieds / those with the same level of experience, and age discrimination is still alive and kicking.

The guy getting the train from Limerick to Dublin everyday was just crazy. He barely gets to see his wife and kid when he gets home anyway. He should just man up and stay in Dublin.

The H&S officer from Donegal was delusional to think she was going to get a full time, well paid job close to her home. She lives in the back of beyond. I lost interest in her when she said she graduated in 2006 and whe she was graduating she expected to be married and have 3-4 kids already at this stage...it's only 5 years on and she wanted to have 4 kids and a career built? was she thinking she could pop a set of quads out?

Whispered wrote: »
    Unemployment wasn't an isssue in 2007? You want people to "quit whinging" 4 years ago? What?

Unemployment in 2007, just as the bottom was beginning to fall out of the economy, was 4.6%, which, in economic terms, is essentially zero.

What amazes me is that in the run-up to the crash, there was very little focus on infill development in Dublin, and instead a great deal of focus on building semi-detached and/or larger homes out in the middle of nowhere. This wasn't solely the fault of developers; there is a aversion among large swathes of the Irish population to living in flats with families. Yet somehow, people all over the rest of Europe manage to do this without scarring their children for life. At a minimum, if there was going to be sprawl, there should have been simultaneous development of (rapid) public transport infrastructure. All folks got was the Luas, which is great if you don't have to connect lines or cross the Liffey coming from the southeast part of Dublin. :rolleyes:

Unless you can telecommute, most highly skilled people are going to have to live in or near an urban area to get to work. Yet most Irish families with young children resist urbanization. If people want to preserve their sanity, however, and be able to spend time with their family during the week, this mindset is going to have to change, given that Ireland is (was...sigh) a modern service economy, rather than an agrarian backwater. Unfortunately, this process is going to be further slowed by the fact that thousands of people are now underwater on their homes in the boonies, so not only do they have a long slog, they will continue to have one for the foreseeable future, as they are stuck with their underwater house. Plus given the unemployment rate today, people will take what they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Ugh. Will someone for the love of god please have jess16, her attitude problem and blatant chip on her shoulder removed from the room? She's making a perfectly decent and mature conversation a tad unbearable.

We have a 5 month old child and to be honest, it's horrible having to commute so far knowing if something happens godforbid, we are both so far away.

I'm sorry but that's a really silly name for a child.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

whirlpool wrote: »
    Ugh. Will someone for the love of god please have jess16, her attitude problem and blatant chip on her shoulder removed from the room? She's making a perfectly decent and mature conversation a tad unbearable.

Hello Mr. Pot

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »

Hello Mr. Pot

I can only assume you're joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Because god forbid people aim for the best of both worlds. Why should people have to settle? Choose between raising their children in the country and a well paid professional job?

I grew up in the country. I want the same - the best - for my child. And if that means I go back to work when she's almost 2 months old, and commute for four hours a day to give it to her, then that's what I'll do. Renting property is dead money. I would rather put that 1k a month towards our house.

Ideally, things would be different, but hey. They're not. It won't be like this forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

She objects to people telling non-Dubs to move to Dublin = attitude problem & chip on shoulder? Climb down off your little box there and stop making a show of yourself.

I watched this last night, and I felt sorry for the commuters. Just watching the routine they have, the commute must feel like they're living in purgatory.

The Cork woman with her career in London, and the guy who basically came home for 24 hours, and in that it had to include some sleep. I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't choose this life for themselves if it was avoidable.

Before I say what I'm going to next, I want to make clear that I'm from Dublin, and living in Dublin - but the attitude some Dubs have, well it's pure Dub snobbery at it's best. How the hell would you like to be told to pack up your stuff and go live somewhere you've no family or friends? I might add, this is being said to people that have families and houses they probably couldn't sell even if they wanted to.

Then you've the 'sell your big house and quit your winging' crew. I'm fairly certain that they may not have bought a house where they did if they had any idea what was ahead of them.

So we've Dub ignorance / snobbery and general begrudgery, this should make for a fun thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Abi wrote: »
    She objects to people telling non-Dubs to move to Dublin = attitude problem & chip on shoulder? Climb down off your little box there and stop making a show of yourself.

I watched this last night, and I felt sorry for the commuters. Just watching the routine they have, the commute must feel like they're living in purgatory.

The Cork woman with her career in London, and the guy who basically came home for 24 hours, and in that it had to include some sleep. I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't choose this life for themselves if it was avoidable.

Before I say what I'm going to next, I want to make clear that I'm from Dublin, and living in Dublin - but the attitude some Dubs have, well it's pure Dub snobbery at it's best. How the hell would you like to be told to pack up your stuff and go live somewhere you've no family or friends? I might add, this is being said to people that have families and houses they probably couldn't sell even if they wanted to.

Then you've the 'sell your big house and quit your winging' crew. I'm fairly certain that they may not have bought a house where they did if they had any idea what was ahead of them.

So we've Dub ignorance / snobbery and general begrudgery, this should make for a fun thread.

I don't think the posters were making the point that non-Dubs should move to Dublin.

They were rationalising that surely it is better for families to all be in the same place at one time - i.e. where the work is.

Someone mentions working to live rather the living to work. Someone commuting 4 hours a day on the train from Limerick sounds like they are living to work rather then working to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

People can live wherever they want to and commute for however long they want, but they shouldn't then complain about how long it takes for them to get back to their house they're slaving away for but never get to enjoy.

There is also country snobbery where people outright refuse to consider living anywhere urban - it's a very Irish thing to not consider it a proper house unless it's on your own bit of land, whereas on the continent it's perfectly normal for people to live their whole lives in an apartment.

And guess what, their quality of life is probably much better on average. It's a bit rich for people to think it's bad parenting to raise a child in the city, when they actually don't have any hours left in the day to raise their child.

They were rationalising that surely it is better for families to all be in the same place at one time - i.e. where the work is.
    It's saying the exact same thing, but saying it nicely.
    Someone mentions working to live rather the living to work. Someone commuting 4 hours a day on the train from Limerick sounds like they are living to work rather then working to live.

I know I couldn't do it without going do-lally. But I'd probably choose it over unemployment. For those that want to work, it's soul-destroying not having a job. A job is more than money just to pay the bills, it gives a feeling of self-worth. Jacking it in isn't an option for people carrying hefty mortgages and families, so they carry on because they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I commute 1200 kilometers a week going to college simpley because places to rent in dublin are complete **** holes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I think that the main reason why people put themselves through this in a lot of cases is debt and negative equity. The sooner people can declare themselves bankrupt the better. This bollox about keeping people in their homes is rubbish to prop up the banks. We will keep you in debt for the next 50 years more like. Is it worth it to own a house (or a pokey apartment?) Take the loss and start living again.

But if we take the loss then we need to take the austerity?? 20 hours commute and living on 50 quid a month not bad enough for people?

A house in Ireland is worth about 50 to 80k now in real terms with the job and wage prospects. If NAMA, rent allowance, mortgage allowance etc was not propping up the market then that's the kind of levels it would hit. for a short time anyway.

Then with a 300 a month mortgage people would be buying again soon and have some money to spend. Social welfare spend on rent allowance cut. It would be worth peoples while to work.

But we all know that the knowledge economy is going to save us :rolleyes:. All that investment in portacabins will pay off soon.

The main problems in Ireland remain untouched. Ireland's main problem is the failure of its systems and institutions. We have an incompetent government systems, public sector, local government, energy providers, regulators, fat cat unions etc and that still remains. 30% of Ireland are paying for 100% and that has always been the way. The 30% enjoys the same standard of living as the other 70%. It is a banana republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I spent 12 months after we moved to ireland commuting to london and back every week. I flew out of Shannon at 6.35am on monday and arrived back at 11pm on thursday. In London I stayed living in our house there, taking lodgers in the spare room to cover costs.

It was awful, missed my wife and daughter like crazy but at the time it was what we had to do. We moved to ireland because the firm I worked for said they were setting up an Irish office and wanted to me to do the groundwork and then manage it. My wife is irish and had wanted to move back for years, and we had also been looking to move out of london for some time, to give our daughter better way of life. The plan "got delayed", meaning for a while I had to commute back and forth, at least they let me work from home on fridays.

Soon the crash happened and the plan was shelved, though they did give me the option to keep commuting and working from home on fridays. The money was great, London wages followed by weekends in Clare, but missing my family made it not worth while so I quit(in part because my wife was pregnant with our second child).

I quit the job and spent 4 months looking for a job at a similar level(draining all our savings in the process), and finally found the job I am in now about three years ago. Of course the money is nowhere near as good as London wages

There used to be about 20 of us on that monday morning flight that commuted every week, I often wonder if any of them managed to make the move back here full time.

I'd never do it again though, and have turned down some jobs that pay substantially more than my current one, as it's just not worth being away from your family for the sake of work.

I commute 1200 kilometers a week going to college simpley because places to rent in dublin are complete **** holes...

Some, not all. Same as everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good old AH. Savaged if you won't take a job or pay your mortgage; savaged if you take any job in desperation to do so.

Cianos wrote: »
    Some, not all. Same as everywhere.

thats a matter of taste

People can live wherever they want to and commute for however long they want, but they shouldn't then complain about how long it takes for them to get back to their house they're slaving away for but never get to enjoy.
    That's not entirely true, now, is it?
    There is also country snobbery where people outright refuse to consider living anywhere urban
    I sit firmly on the fence on this one, neither one should be telling either where they should have to live.
    - it's a very Irish thing to not consider it a proper house unless it's on your own bit of land, whereas on the continent it's perfectly normal for people to live their whole lives in an apartment.
    That's a bit extreme tbh. Most people with families hope for a bit of a garden for their children to be able to play in. I don't really think that's asking too much.
    It's a bit rich for people to think it's bad parenting to raise a child in the city, when they actually don't have any hours left in the day to raise their child.

I don't think they see it as bad parenting to raise a child in the city, I would imagine it's because it's less dangerous with traffic etc.

I think you've a set idea of what kind of people want to raise their children outside of the city, and they're wanna-be snobs in your eyes. The flip side of that coin is that the parents are working those hours and doing the commute for their children, to provide them a better quality of life. It's hardly bad parenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I used to have a 3 hour daily commute to work/college when I lived at home and it sucked the joy out of everything for me. I used to actually dread going home because it was like an extra 2 hours added onto my working day. Yes, I had a nice garden and rent was very low but it was awful.

I gladly moved out closer to the city and pay twice what I was paying for a much smaller place than I had. But for the ability to actually enjoy my home after a days work, its worth every penny. Granted Im not locked into a mortgage or anything but it does come down to choice a lot of the time ie smaller/more expensive and less travelling, or larger cheaper and more travelling. Theres pros and cons to each.

That said I would choose a long commute over unemployment-I was recently asked to do a months stint in my job that would require living away from home or a 4.5hour daily commute and I took it because it was required of me. Ya gotta do what you gotta do and just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I live just 10 mins from where I work. Still to much travelling, so I work from home most days.

My time is far too valuable for me to be wasting it travelling long distances to/from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I would choose unemployment. Its underrated on this thread. The hours are great and it comes with free rent and healthcare. ;)

That's not entirely true, now, is it?

I meant that people make the choice that they want to make, over the alternative options available to them.
    That's a bit extreme tbh. Most people with families hope for a bit of a garden for their children to be able to play in. I don't really think that's asking too much.

That depends. Maybe people over prioritise things like a garden and under prioritise things like city parks, a much wider range of extra curricular activities, the zoo, the cinema, the beach, a more diversified group of friends, the highly stimulating environment(s) a healthy city can provide and so on.

I think most people just don't even consider anything but a typical house, because the typical house with your front and back garden is the norm and that's that. It's why the commuter belt is covered in mundane housing estates in the middle of nowhere with the car needed to get anywhere or to do anything. And then people wonder why they're bored in their suburban bubble.
    I don't think they see it as bad parenting to raise a child in the city, I would imagine it's because it's less dangerous with traffic etc.

Drugs, crime, traffic, strangers...these are the things people in a reactionary way think of. And I do maintain that many people would consider a parent raising their child in an environment that is associated with all these things as somewhat worse parents, all other factors being equal.
    I think you've a set idea of what kind of people want to raise their children outside of the city, and they're wanna-be snobs in your eyes. The flip side of that coin is that the parents are working those hours and doing the commute for their children, to provide them a better quality of life. It's hardly bad parenting.

I'm saying that spending one exhausted hour in the evening with your child is more like child maintenance than parenting.

Azureus wrote: »
    I used to have a 3 hour daily commute to work/college when I lived at home and it sucked the joy out of everything for me. I used to actually dread going home because it was like an extra 2 hours added onto my working day. Yes, I had a nice garden and rent was very low but it was awful.

I gladly moved out closer to the city and pay twice what I was paying for a much smaller place than I had. But for the ability to actually enjoy my home after a days work, its worth every penny. Granted Im not locked into a mortgage or anything but it does come down to choice a lot of the time ie smaller/more expensive and less travelling, or larger cheaper and more travelling. Theres pros and cons to each.

That said I would choose a long commute over unemployment-I was recently asked to do a months stint in my job that would require living away from home or a 4.5hour daily commute and I took it because it was required of me. Ya gotta do what you gotta do and just get on with it.

your right fully relate to that...

I meant that people make the choice that they want to make, over the alternative options available to them.
    Like what?

That depends. Maybe people over prioritise things like a garden and under prioritise things like city parks, a much wider range of extra curricular activities, the zoo, the cinema, the beach, a more diversified group of friends, the highly stimulating environment(s) a healthy city can provide and so on.
    City parks - fine to visit with the parents. I'm talking about them being let out to play on a daily basis.

Zoo & cinema - these may not be an option to those really struggling.

The beach - Nice idea in theory, Irish weather has other ideas however.
    I think most people just don't even consider anything but a typical house, because the typical house with your front and back garden is the norm and that's that. It's why the commuter belt is covered in mundane housing estates in the middle of nowhere with the car needed to get anywhere or to do anything. And then people wonder why they're bored in their suburban bubble.

Two points here - one, the 'gardens' given with the houses during the boom time, well you can't even call them that, and in some cases non-existent. Two, the houses sold during this time were often as impressive as their back gardens. You couldn't swing a cat in them, so calling them houses is a bit of a stretch.

I'm saying that spending one exhausted hour in the evening with your child is more like child maintenance than parenting.
    I think you're more or less saying it's border-line negligent, and I don't think that's fair. Parents spending time with their children in the evening time and the weekend is a reality for most.

Would you be of the view that one of the parents stay at home? or is the commute the parents have to endure?

It's a catch 22 situation. Jobs nearby are scarce, and not paying enough to pay the bills, hence the lengthy commutes to better paid jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of people don't live close to their jobs anyway. It takes me about an hour minutes to get to work now: 10 minute walk plus a 45-50 minute Luas ride. I could drive a pretty long distance out of the city in that time so it's relative.

The longest commute I ever had was about 2 hours each way by public transport from one end of Dublin to the other and it was awful. Thankfully I was able to alleviate this greatly by buying a car and then eventually, getting another job.

If I had that job now without the choice of the jobs market back then, I probably would have to suck it down because I have a family to support and don't have the luxury of limitless platitudes about my quality of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It's saying the exact same thing, but saying it nicely.

I know I couldn't do it without going do-lally. But I'd probably choose it over unemployment. For those that want to work, it's soul-destroying not having a job. A job is more than money just to pay the bills, it gives a feeling of self-worth. Jacking it in isn't an option for people carrying hefty mortgages and families, so they carry on because they have to.

The flip side of this is that people with jobs must think they have more worth than the unemployed,ie they think they are better than the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

City parks - fine to visit with the parents. I'm talking about them being let out to play on a daily basis.

Growing up I had a large enough garden but spent 99% of my time as a child playing on the local 'green' or park. I never spent any time in the garden and I don't know of anyone my age who did. We could have been out there all day during the summer and regularly were. The garden was just a patch of grass, big deal. I think the whole idea that children need a bit of garden is a bit untrue, I know I could have happily (and for all intents and purposes did) happily grown up without one.

Like what?

Whatever their options may be!

Many parks and play areas are suitable for being let out to play on a daily basis. There are also many roads around urban areas that have the same amount of traffic as your average housing estate.
    Zoo & cinema - these may not be an option to those really struggling.

My point is there are loads of interesting places in close proximity to one another in the city that a family can pop out to easily.
    The beach - Nice idea in theory, Irish weather has other ideas however.

The same weather that will keep a child sitting indoors bored rather than play out in the garden.

You can dismiss all my points with ifs and buts if it pleases you but the point remains that people see their gardens as giving their children a place to play as part of justification of buying a house that demands an insane commute, when there are loads of things for children to do in urban environments.
    Two points here - one, the 'gardens' given with the houses during the boom time, well you can't even call them that, and in some cases non-existent. Two, the houses sold during this time were often as impressive as their back gardens. You couldn't swing a cat in them, so calling them houses is a bit of a stretch.

Who sounds snobby now?

Again you're ignoring my point - that people are easily sold on anything that suits the norm - front/back garden? grand. Quiet area? Grand. 2 hour drive to work? Ah sure, we couldn't afford the same closer to the city.
    I think you're more or less saying it's border-line negligent, and I don't think that's fair. Parents spending time with their children in the evening time and the weekend is a reality for most.

Would you be of the view that one of the parents stay at home? or is the commute the parents have to endure?

It's a catch 22 situation. Jobs nearby are scarce, and not paying enough to pay the bills, hence the lengthy commutes to better paid jobs.

I didn't say or suggest negligence nor am I judging them on their ability as parents. I have a lot of respect for those that slug away and break their neck to do what they believe to be the best, or to make the most out of their situation. But the fact of the matter is that they barely see their children - there's not much parenting, good or bad, you can do sat in traffic 4 hours a day. There's a massive difference between spending 4 or 5 hours with your kids in the evening than spending 1 hour bolloxed after your long drive. I think too many people undertake this lifestyle without real consideration of what they and their children are missing out on and what benefits there are from the alternatives. Oh...but it has a front and back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

The idea that you have to live 2 hours from work so your children can play outside is ridiculous. Yes, there are parts of Dublin unsuitable for raising a family (Hanover Quay, IFSC, etc) but there are plenty that are. You don't have to drive to St. Stephens Green to bring a child to the park to play. Vast tracts of Dublin have green areas precisely for that reason. Here are three of the most recent areas that I've lived:

Larch Hill, Coolock - 10 acres of green areas in an apartment complex.
    Willow Park, Finglas - big green areas right outside peoples houses
    Dundrum - a public park and football pitch right beside four apartment complexes.

I feel sorry for people who lost their jobs and can't move because they can't sell their homes but I have no sympathy who work in a city but refuse to move there. At best, it's giving your child space but no time with them and at worst, it's not predictable. What happens if the roads flood like they did last week, if the train line shuts down (like the northern line did) or if something happens your child and you need to get home to them in a hurry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Renting property is dead money. I would rather put that 1k a month towards our house.

That's part of the big con that so many gullible people just accept. When you hear something often enough, why question it, eh?

Renting is not dead money. You're paying for a service. You're paying for excellent flexibility. You're paying for freedom from maintenance and repair costs. Renting is a *good* thing, if you rent sensibly.

But hey, why not rent your house from the bank for a few decades instead, pay them a nice cut of interest too, and pump thousands into lawns, appliances, furnishings, services, and general upkeep while you're at it.

Dead money :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I travel close to 2 hours from where I live to my workplace, I take a combination of 2 buses (1 I can cut out and just walk) and 1 luas to work and same back home again. I depend on public transport as I don't drive (and can't afford to)

I can't be so choosy either about where I live or where I work and in this day and age, I am lucky to have a permanent job. I leave home at 6.25am and don't get home till around 6.40pm :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

My commute takes 1 min 37secs on average.:)
    Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My commute is about 5 or ten minutes in the car and about 30 to 40 walking. (I can't walk that far just now due to injury) However I often wished I had a slightly longer commute.

Two reasons for this. I am too close to work and I am one of the first names on the list to be called in when needed. Also if I am a couple of minutes late, I am far too close to be able to make up time on the trip, and hence I may be late in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

This daft programme had something of an identity crisis: the people featured living abroad are essentially emigrants, not commuters.
    Anyone foolish enough to fly back to Ireland each week to play for a hurling team needs their head examined.
    The midwife from Cork- well its just too bad theres no maternity hospital in her back yard to work in. People have migrated towards work since time immemorial, sadly its not the other way round.

Man up: our forefathers have been emigrating for generations and were lucky to get back from the UK once a year- those in the US and further afield were lucky to come back at all. Thats not to say our diaspora should only come back once a year, but a bit of perspective is needed here.

There is one of the biggest maternity hospitals in the country in Cork its just that the HSE has a Hiring freezw on at the moment so no one qualified as a Midwife can get a job in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Rubecula wrote: »
    My commute is about 5 or ten minutes in the car and about 30 to 40 walking. (I can't walk that far just now due to injury) However I often wished I had a slightly longer commute.

Two reasons for this. I am too close to work and I am one of the first names on the list to be called in when needed. Also if I am a couple of minutes late, I am far too close to be able to make up time on the trip, and hence I may be late in.

That bolded bit makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting that people on longer commutes could do them quicker but choose not to generally?

• Advertisement
Advertisement