Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Commute

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Yes, the guy who is working in London is "living abroad" ( in fact he may have to declare tax here). But paying a fare to RyanAir which is cheaper than most English trains tickets to get home, is as sane as leaving london for any other reason on any given weekend.

I didn't see the program. However, his story is clearly not the same as the 4 hour commuters, he commutes on Monday and Friday only.

• Yahew wrote: »
    Yes, the guy who is working in London is "living abroad" ( in fact he may have to declare tax here). But paying a fare to RyanAir which is cheaper than most English trains tickets to get home, is as sane as leaving london for any other reason on any given weekend.

I didn't see the program. However, his story is clearly not the same as the 4 hour commuters, he commutes on Monday and Friday only.

Personally, I think it's incredibly unsettling and I could never do it. I had to fly back to London every 2 weeks (for medical care) when I was living on the continent and it was awful. Missed loads of local parties and social events. It seems silly to insist on 'living' in Ireland while working Mon-Fri in London, but each to their own. Just don't expect any sympathy, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am not happy seeing my little girl for an hour a day. It breaks my heart leaving her in the mornings and knowing I'm missing out all day. Ideally, Id spend all day with her. But, it's just not an option.

At the moment - Im working insane hours a day so as I can build a future for all of us. I'm gaining invaluable experience, experience that isn't available to me in my own town. I'm hoping to open my own business working in my own town, in the near future. I simply cannot afford to be a stay at home mother and I would crawl over broken glass for my child, rather than have her grow up on social welfare.

It's not easy and it's heartbreaking feeling like you're missing out, but I have to
    do it. I'm a listtle ipset that people think this makes me a bad
    mother, but I'm doing what I feel is best for her.

I Want her surrounded by her family - people who love her, and not just tossed into a crèche with someone who has 10 other kids to watch.
    I want her to grow up with her cousins, have a safe place to play, and when she gets older, a safer place to be at night time.

It's just not an option to move to Dublin. It's still going to mean I'll be gone at least 11 hours a day. Again, I hope it's short term.

It doesnt make you a bad mother at all, you shouldnt have to justify yourself in your choices. I think your mad doing it but it doesnt matter what I think and you are obviously doing it out of love not for fancy cars/ holidays etc. If you stayed home and didnt have a job you would be judged also, you are never right if you are a mum! Somebody else knows best. At the same time though lots of people do leave their kids in creches, doesnt make them bad mums either. A lot of kids are happy there.

One aspect of commuting I never could understand is the spending the Sunday night at home and driving up on Monday morning even though it takes an hour and a half longer. I'm not talking about spending it with the missus or the kids, I'm talking about spending it at home with the folks and a sibling or two. How anyone could prefer that than to travel up Sunday evening/night and be well rested Monday morning rather than spend the day yawning is beyond me. Now, if it was the playboy mansion I'd say go for it alright!

More often than not I drive back on the monday monring. I like to get the extra night at home, it makes the trip that bit more worth while getting 3 nights out of it. Its also nice to sit around with the family especially as I would usually be out on the saturday night. Also if I'm wrecked tired from sat night I dont like driving.

It takes me almost the exact same amount of time to drive galway to cork on the monday morning as the sunday evening too. I also dont have to leave that early usually around 7am has me down at an acceptable time to appear in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

I am not happy seeing my little girl for an hour a day. It breaks my heart leaving her in the mornings and knowing I'm missing out all day. Ideally, Id spend all day with her. But, it's just not an option.

I Want her surrounded by her family - people who love her, and not just tossed into a crèche with someone who has 10 other kids to watch.
    I want her to grow up with her cousins, have a safe place to play, and when she gets older, a safer place to be at night time.

It's just not an option to move to Dublin. It's still going to mean I'll be gone at least 11 hours a day. Again, I hope it's short term.

You are her family. Move closer to your job ffs. Rent your own house if you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,580 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Frowzy wrote: »
    Oh! excusez moi! perhaps you could explain what a bog-warrior is then?
    I was assuming he was classifying non-Dublin residents........

That comment came about because of the exasperating Donegal woman. Build a house literally in the middle of nowhere, then complain about how far away it is from everything. You really couldn't make it up. Bonus points for the very niche career choice.
    Of course not everyone would choose to live in a city, just as not everyone would choose to live in a rural area, but the point is to accept the consequences of the choices you make and not expect to have your cake and eat it too.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Abi, your posts generally are well thought out, and sensible, and I have thanked more than a few of them, so It sadden me that his rift has occurred in this thread. A thread I am strongly considering unsubscribing from because it has gone beyond daft.

Abi wrote:
    well it came from ignorant posts like this, if you must know.

syklops wrote:
    Why cant you move to Dublin?

I fail to see what is so ignorant about asking a poster who commutes 4 hours a day to and from Dublin why it would not be feasible for her and her partner to move closer to her place of work.

Maybe our brains work differently but for me, comfort is me and my partner living in the nicest place possible equidistant from our place of work, our favourite supermarket and out favourite restaurant or pub. When my Son or Daughter arrives, that will also include the best school in the area.

Having your place of work on the other side of the country is alien to me. Any job I ever got, even one in Central Europe I moved to within 30 mins commute of it. Partly because I have little natural talent and so need extra hours to study and learn. I also make friends slower than most people, so need a little extra time acquiring them and so moving as close as possible to my place of work seems obvious to me for both saving time and increasing comfort levels.

I was once in a position where I was living in one part of Dublin, and my place of work was nearly 2 hours of public transport away. I happily went from very low rent to quite high rent for a smaller place, because an extra hour there and back over the course of a month was way more valuable to me than the money for rent.

I know people will say, "but its different when you have kids", I don't see why it should. I would not move into an area where my Fiancée was not safe or was uncomfortable, and by extension would not let my child live in such a place.

Their safety is number one, and if sunday dinner is beans on toast in a safe place then, bloody brilliant!, so long as we are together and can form some kind of happiness, to me that is all that matters.

You are her family. Move closer to your job ffs. Rent your own house if you have to.

By family she means extended family. Theres nothing wrong with that. She wants her child to grow up around cousins. I really don't get Dubliner anger here. It's peoples choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

syklops wrote: »
    It sadden me that his rift has occurred in this thread.
    Rift or a debate though syklops? There isn't supposed to be a winner or solution here, because everyone is different, and they will ultimately do what they think is best anyway. Thanks for what you said about my posts, but I will say that not everyone will agree on everything. It would make for a pretty boring world if it did.

I fail to see what is so ignorant about asking a poster who commutes 4 hours a day to and from Dublin why it would not be feasible for her and her partner to move closer to her place of work.
    Right, well my gripe with this is how easily it is said, by people that don't seem to understand that it's not that simple. It's fine and well for a single person to up sticks and hit Dublin, but if you're talking about uprooting an entire family - well "just move" is easier said than done. I refer back to the point that people are finding it difficult to sell their homes, and I'd imagine more so in rural areas. Then you're talking about uprooting children from their schools, which can be a big upset for them, and perhaps their school work. You may be also taking them away from their relatives that may live near by.

I have no idea why some can't see that it's not just as cut and dry as "just move" for some.

Maybe our brains work differently but for me, comfort is me and my partner living in the nicest place possible equidistant from our place of work, our favourite supermarket and out favourite restaurant or pub. When my Son or Daughter arrives, that will also include the best school in the area.
    Do I take it that you have a child on the way, given the above sentence? Every parent wants their child in the best school, and for them to be content and make friends there. I have to ask though, would you have any hesitation uprooting your son or daughter from their school and friends?

Having your place of work on the other side of the country is alien to me. Any job I ever got, even one in Central Europe I moved to within 30 mins commute of it.
    Had you been renting all along, and were there any children involved in the moves at the time?

I know people will say, "but its different when you have kids", I don't see why it should. I would not move into an area where my Fiancée was not safe or was uncomfortable, and by extension would not let my child live in such a place.
    It is I'm afraid. No parent would just move without some hesitation, and how it may effect their children. It's difficult for any child to have to leave their friends and have to make new ones - and trying to keep on top of school work at the same time. I know it is done, but it would be something I would avoid at all costs.

In conclusion to all of this; I will say that relocating is easier said than done for a lot of people. I just find the 'just move' attitude short-sighted. It's fine and well if you're on your own, but if you've a mortgage on a house you can't sell and children in schools - well a lot more thinking has to go into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I have:

a mortgage

House in rural area

Son in school

Long commute

I CANT WAIT until my son leaves school so I can use the money that my wife and I waste on fuel and travel to rent an apartment in LOVELY Dublin and start to enjoy life again... 2 years and we're in the land of the living again.. keep the p[lace in the ****hole of the sticks and rent in Dublin... oh the joys of that day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Abi wrote: »
    In conclusion to all of this; I will say that relocating is easier said than done for a lot of people. I just find the 'just move' attitude short-sighted. It's fine and well if you're on your own, but if you've a mortgage on a house you can't sell and children in schools - well a lot more thinking has to go into it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that moving is easy but there has to be a balance between avoiding a major change in a childs life and having them only see one (or both) of their parents for an hour a day. Wanting them to grow up in a safe environment where there is room to play and relatives are nearby is extremely commendable but at what cost?

Obviously, if someone owns a house that they cannot sell or rent, there's not much they can do to avoid a long commute. Personally, if I found myself in that situation, I think I'd seriously consider leaving the country (and house).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

At the moment - Im working insane hours a day so as I can build a future for all of us. I'm gaining invaluable experience, experience that isn't available to me in my own town. I'm hoping to open my own business working in my own town, in the near future. I simply cannot afford to be a stay at home mother and I would crawl over broken glass for my child, rather than have her grow up on social welfare.

It's not easy and it's heartbreaking feeling like you're missing out, but I have to
    do it. I'm a listtle ipset that people think this makes me a bad
    mother, but I'm doing what I feel is best for her.

I'm going to ask an importantquestion that everyone else failed to ask you so far.

Are you a MILF??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that moving is easy but there has to be a balance between avoiding a major change in a childs life and having them only see one (or both) of their parents for an hour a day. Wanting them to grow up in a safe environment where there is room to play and relatives are nearby is extremely commendable but at what cost?

Obviously, if someone owns a house that they cannot sell or rent, there's not much they can do to avoid a long commute. Personally, if I found myself in that situation, I think I'd seriously consider leaving the country (and house).

Or you could stay in the country and hand your house keys to the bank and say good luck, don't fancy paying back the rest of the mortgage. Then find a nice house somewhere to rent.

Or you could stay in the country and hand your house keys to the bank and say good luck, don't fancy paying back the rest of the mortgage. Then find a nice house somewhere to rent.

That's not possible in Ireland - you're legally responsible for the mortgage, even if you hand the keys back. If you owe €200,000 and the bank only sell it for €100,000 you still have a mortgage of €100,000 and a home to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I think more people in Ireland need to be realistic about work and family life. People are obsessed with raising their kids in the country, but want the kind of well-paying professional jobs that by and large are going to be in a city. But there are only so many hours in the day, and you can't have it all. Yet suggest you raise your kids in Dublin or - GOD FORBID - in a flat instead of a house, and people look at you like you have three heads.

I agree mostly with this but must point out that flats and apartments in this country are not of a great standard compared to other countries where family flat and apartment living are more common.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

markpb wrote: »
    That's not possible in Ireland - you're legally responsible for the mortgage, even if you hand the keys back. If you owe €200,000 and the bank only sell it for €100,000 you still have a mortgage of €100,000 and a home to rent.

What will they do if you just decide not to pay it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Take you to court, have you thrown in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Stark wrote: »
    Take you to court, have you thrown in jail.

To an extent I always wonder what the point of this is, I don't see how putting someone in jail helps the bank recoup their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

To an extent I always wonder what the point of this is, I don't see how putting someone in jail helps the bank recoup their money.

It doesn't.

It's to ensure most people do pay their mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

pour encourager les autres

• Advertisement

Take you to court, get a judgement order against you, take the house and sell it and, if they don't cover the remaining mortgage, have you declared bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

I aree with previous posts the only commuter is the man travelling from Limerick to Dublin. The fella from Sligo had my sympathy until I heard he inherited land and spent money on a sports car left to rot on that land! The GAA player well he has switched careers now has a teaching job in London and probably is building up brownie points for the job in Ireland, sports is good on the cv as someone else has noted here already and he has a farm of land in the background too poor lad. The midwife I don't know what to think, its surely to build up 'experience' before the HSE lifts the ban on recruitment, she's famous now before the interviews or something. It surely is a shorter term goal, understandable as she qualified as a mature student and disappointed about job prospects after her effort, it's a gamble for her. But then what about all the other newly qualified nurses, lots of people have disappointments and it's no good moaning about it. Not really about commuters, started off feeling sorry for them but not all are in really desperate situations like some of the posts here about real commuters.

jupiter00 wrote: »
    she qualified as a mature student and disappointed about job prospects after her effort, it's a gamble for her. But then what about all the other newly qualified nurses, lots of people have disappointments and it's no good moaning about it.

Newly qualified students are more likely to be young and footloose so it's easier for them to move to where the jobs are than someone with seven children.

I can't believe they remade that movie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just watching it now on RTE player, why are they playing the sad Social Network music as they talk about young grads being forced to up sticks and leave?

I moved to England 2 months ago- best thing that ever happened to me. I feel grateful every day that I got the chance to leave the economic mess that is Ireland. It's good to experience somewhere new anyway (obviously if you have no commitments). I love my job and surroundings- don't plan on visiting home much as all my friends have left, and already I think I'll probably settle down here. Why do people move somewhere new and make no effort to settle in? Why go home every weekend? I refer to travel both inside and outside Ireland.

On the topic of people with families and mortgages who do these ridiculous commutes, no sympathy at all really. Abi, you said you would avoid uprooting your family at all costs, children who are in school etc. I would avoid only spending an hour a day with my family at all costs.

Also, the people I know who had to move around a lot as kids are notably more independent and self-sufficient than those who didn't. Not saying it's an argument for it, but something to note. You sound like you wouldn't even consider moving your family once, for a chance at an exponentially better quality of life.

Shelga wrote: »
    On the topic of people with families and mortgages who do these ridiculous commutes, no sympathy at all really. Abi, you said you would avoid uprooting your family at all costs, children who are in school etc. I would avoid only spending an hour a day with my family at all costs.

Also, the people I know who had to move around a lot as kids are notably more independent and self-sufficient than those who didn't. Not saying it's an argument for it, but something to note. You sound like you wouldn't even consider moving your family once, for a chance at an exponentially better quality of life.

Why would the quality of life be exponentially better? People are making too much of these commutes compared to commutes within Dublin. If someone has a much better life down the country at weekends, then why move to Dublin?

Yahew wrote: »
    Why would the quality of life be exponentially better? People are making too much of these commutes compared to commutes within Dublin. If someone has a much better life down the country at weekends, then why move to Dublin?

I never mentioned Dublin? :confused: I'm saying spending 4 hours of your day on a train is completely incomprehensible to me, no matter where you're going.

• Shelga wrote: »
    Just watching it now on RTE player, why are they playing the sad Social Network music as they talk about young grads being forced to up sticks and leave?

I moved to England 2 months ago- best thing that ever happened to me. I feel grateful every day that I got the chance to leave the economic mess that is Ireland. It's good to experience somewhere new anyway (obviously if you have no commitments). I love my job and surroundings- don't plan on visiting home much as all my friends have left, and already I think I'll probably settle down here. Why do people move somewhere new and make no effort to settle in? Why go home every weekend? I refer to travel both inside and outside Ireland.

I think a lot of people just have an overblown sense of entitlement. They want to live near their families and friends, work in the field they choose, live close to work... it's simply difficult to have all of those things and that has nothing to do with any recession or with Ireland. Unless you grew up in a big city, then chances are you will have to move away for work or work doing whatever is available locally (including being on the dole if you live in the arse end of nowhere where there are no jobs). I'm not seeing why this is deserving of sympathy. I'm not talking out of my arse either, I've moved around loads for work, including to places I didn't know a soul and didn't speak the language. Making such a fuss over moving to London seems a bit sad to me. Going home every weekend to see your mates from home and not integrating into your new place seems a bit sad to me. But I'm obviously never going to understand that mentality.

Abi wrote: »

Right, well my gripe with this is how easily it is said, by people that don't seem to understand that it's not that simple. It's fine and well for a single person to up sticks and hit Dublin, but if you're talking about uprooting an entire family - well "just move" is easier said than done. I refer back to the point that people are finding it difficult to sell their homes, and I'd imagine more so in rural areas. Then you're talking about uprooting children from their schools, which can be a big upset for them, and perhaps their school work. You may be also taking them away from their relatives that may live near by.

OK, fair point about selling the house, but I don't think moving is the enormous deal you make it out to be. I moved countries as a child, plenty of people do. Yes, it's unsettling, yes it's upsetting. You get over it. I think it was positive for me in lots of ways.
    It is I'm afraid. No parent would just move without some hesitation, and how it may effect their children. It's difficult for any child to have to leave their friends and have to make new ones - and trying to keep on top of school work at the same time. I know it is done, but it would be something I would avoid at all costs.

You're right, it's not an easy decision, but commuting insane distances is hardly ideal either.

Of course. That doesn't mean it's not often the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

People on here taking about the arse end of nowhere or the middle of nowhere obviously haven't a clue. If you were talking about the middle of nowhere it would be like Canada where you could be living 100 miles from your nearest town. No matter where you are in Ireland there is a town nearby.

I moved to London a few years ago, I knew I wouldn't like it but I did it. I came home less than once a month so I did try to integrate. I didnt mind it and had some good time there but it just wasn't the same as living in Ireland and I couldn't see my family or friends from home regularly which is a thing important to me. I don't want to spend months between seeing both. I actually find it sad that people are happy to spend long periods of time without visiting home.

I live in Ireland again now, not as near to home as I would like but its not too bad either and hopefully I will get back where I want to be at some point. I have a group of friends here that I get on great with them, have good nights out and even have gone away on holidays with them.

But I like being able to go home to see my family and go out with my friends which Ive known for years regularly, I probably go home on average every second weekend over the year. I could go home 4 weekends in a row or wait down 3 in a row etc but I have the option and I am much happier than when I was in London, I would hate the thought of having to move out of Ireland for any extended amount of time again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What a wierd backward little country we live in. People building bungalows in the arse end of nowhere and commuting for five hours a day thinking they are improving their quality of life.

lol

I moved to London a few years ago, I knew I wouldn't like it but I did it.

Do you think this glass-half-empty outlook to the move was a help or a hindrance to you integrating into a new place?
    I actually find it sad that people are happy to spend long periods of time without visiting home.

Why do you find it sad that people are more amenable and adaptable to change than you evidently are?

Yahew wrote: »
    Why would the quality of life be exponentially better? People are making too much of these commutes compared to commutes within Dublin.

My commute is a 15 min cycle each way and my rent is half what the monthly costs of driving up and down would be. Don't mind what you say, it beats the crap out of a 4 hour round trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Lack of posts in this thread directly attributable to users still being on the way home to Cavan. I got home at 4.15

Do you think this glass-half-empty outlook to the move was a help or a hindrance to you integrating into a new place?

No, Saying I knew I wouldnt like it didnt make me make any less effort. I like the way of life here, being at home in the county at weekends doing some work on the farm, going out with my friends from home etc and I knew these things could only be substituted in London but not even equaled never mind bettered.
    Why do you find it sad that people are more amenable and adaptable to change than you evidently are?

Why do people think its some sort of badge of honor that they moved to a different county and no longer have any interest in hanging out with their old friends.

Why should I try to be adaptable when Id much prefer to live in Ireland, no matter how much I could force myself to like somewhere else It would never be as good simple as that.

As I said Im happy enough living somewhere in Ireland as you always have the option to head for home on a friday evening or arrange a p*ss up with with friends from home at the last minute etc.

• I moved to London a few years ago, I knew I wouldn't like it but I did it. I came home less than once a month so I did try to integrate. I didnt mind it and had some good time there but it just wasn't the same as living in Ireland and I couldn't see my family or friends from home regularly which is a thing important to me. I don't want to spend months between seeing both.

Going home less than once a month is integrating? I'd feel so unsettled if I did that. Saying you knew you wouldn't like it before you went comes across as a bit narrow minded, tbh. Do you think you really gave it a chance?
    I actually find it sad that people are happy to spend long periods of time without visiting home.

Why? Some people don't base their identity on 'home' being where they grew up and their ability to enjoy themselves on palling around with the same people they went to school with. Moving to a new place offers loads of opportunities to meet new people and build a life there. It doesn't mean you have to forget your old friends, but what's wrong with new ones? For me, 'home' is where I'm currently living, be it Seoul, Brussels or London. Horses for courses I guess.

CiaranC wrote: »
    What a wierd backward little country we live in. People building bungalows in the arse end of nowhere and commuting for five hours a day thinking they are improving their quality of life.

lol

They are improving their quality of life if they feel they are. It is a bit of a compromise, for sure, but if people prefer to have larger houses down the country, close to a reasonable sized town - for instance Kilkenny, then it makes far greater sense than living in Dublin. As I pointed out in this thread previously, commutes within Dublin can be as arduous as commutes to Dublin from within a hundred miles if you are taking the train to an office in the centre, or driving to the outskirts. I also pointed out that Dubliners don't move house for work but take longer commutes, and are prepared to live further from the centre for a higher standard of living - i.e. Howth/ Dalkey etc.

But your reply shows what is really going on here - the Dubliner's unwarranted sense of the importance an appeal of their city.
    Going home every weekend to see your mates from home and not integrating into your new place seems a bit sad to me. But I'm obviously never going to understand that mentality.

Thats up to them. I have lived in 5 cities and 3 countries. now having settled down I am not going to move to London, though I work there. Making friends is not why I work somewhere. I have friends here. I go out and drink with work colleagues there, but weekends are better here. The situation I have is ideal - the exception being a morning commute once a week.

Things change when you settle down.

Why? Some people don't base their identity on 'home' being where they grew up and their ability to enjoy themselves on palling around with the same people they went to school with. Moving to a new place offers loads of opportunities to meet new people and build a life there. It doesn't mean you have to forget your old friends, but what's wrong with new ones? For me, 'home' is where I'm currently living, be it Seoul, Brussels or London. Horses for courses I guess.

And for some people they want to play hurling at the weekends. This is horses for courses, but only one side is getting heated about it.

Don't think either side is getting 'heated' tbh. We've all said that everyone has different views on the matter. Although why some people are constantly referring to 'Dubliners' with suspicion and contempt is beyond me.

Don't think either side is getting 'heated' tbh. We've all said that everyone has different views on the matter. Although why some people are constantly referring to 'Dubliners' with suspicion and contempt is beyond me.

This kind of ( well -thanked) comment.

People building bungalows in the arse end of nowhere and commuting for five hours a day thinking they are improving their quality of life.

generally indicates a Dubliner.

• Advertisement

I'm from Cork and I think people who choose to commute for 5 hours a day out of sheer stubbornness are insane. It's not just Dubliners. You can swap Dublin with Limerick/Galway/Cork/anywhere else with jobs and you have the same argument.

Like I could stay rent free in my parents' place and drive up and down to my job in Dublin every day and then cry on national TV about it in the hope that the nanny state will make everything better but I value my sanity more than that.

And for some people they want to play hurling at the weekends. This is horses for courses, but only one side is getting heated about it.

You've missed the point. Of course people can fly home every weekend if they want to. What I have no time for is the whining about it, the tone of the documentary, as if I'm supposed to feel sorry for such people. As if life has dealt them a bad hand and they're doing what they have to do. In most of the cases, they've chosen to be in that situation. Most of the people featured were childless. If you live in rural Donegal, of course you're not going to have your pick of bloody jobs. That has been obvious for at least the last five years. If you choose to fly home every weekend from London, of course it's expensive and tiring. The logical option is to move for the job, but they chose not to. If some people believe driving 4 hours a day or flying to London every few days is better than relocating, fine, but they can stop whinging about it. Some of my coworkers constantly say how lucky I am because I have a 'short' commute, but they're not prepared to pay a fortune to live in a shoebox like I do. I'd love more space and a garden, but no way am I getting up at 5am. Nobody gets to have their cake and eat it.

The only person I really felt sorry for was the nurse and only because she was so clearly unhappy and trying to help the family, but I don't understand how she makes any money. Flying to London and back every week, staying in a flat/hotel 3 or 4 nights a week....how much do nurses get paid?

This kind of ( well -thanked) comment.

People building bungalows in the arse end of nowhere and commuting for five hours a day thinking they are improving their quality of life.

generally indicates a Dubliner.

Projection much? That's my opinion and I'm not a Dubliner. I think most people in the world would agree that sitting in a car for five hours a day is hellish and insane. Any benefit to living in a nice bungalow in the country would be outweighed by arriving home shattered at 9pm and going straight to bed. I don't understand how that can possibly be a decent quality of life.

Ok, well I didn't watch the documentary ( I thought you were in London by the way?). However, a weekend commute makes sense to me. I met a taxi driver in London who lived in Kerry a few months back. His car is kept at his brothers house, he flies in Monday, stays with the brother, drives the car around making the bucks, and flies to Ireland at weekends. The cost is a return ticket, and London cab drivers can do quite well. You would consider that sad if he were Irish, but he isn't and nor is his wife. They just think that they get a better standard of living in Ireland - i.e. bigger house, country living ( which is for the rich in the UK) etc. He also has friends he meets in the pub.

Whatever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

If he stays with his brother he probably has little or no rent to pay. I wonder how it would stack up if he had to rent a room for himself?

Projection much? That's my opinion and I'm not a Dubliner. I think most people in the world would agree that sitting in a car for five hours a day is hellish and insane. Any benefit to living in a nice bungalow in the country would be outweighed by arriving home shattered at 9pm and going straight to bed. I don't understand how that can possibly be a decent quality of life.

But why do people care so much? If someone wants to spend 5 hours on a train every day ( which is the extreme argument, anyway) for a bigger house, a house closer to extended family or friends why the hostility?

When I last worked in Dublin, i worked in Kilbarrack. The only Southsider we worked with continued to live on Southside, and took an hour to get to work, on a good day, and 90 minutes on a bad one. I took ten minutes because I rented close by and don't have that snobbery. I presume his reasons for not moving were related to wanting to be around his own type. He did live at home, right enough. Someone from the country is doing the same thing, but garnering more aggression.

• Advertisement

Ok, well I didn't watch the documentary ( I thought you were in London by the way?).

Never heard of RTE Player?
    However, a weekend commute makes sense to me. I met a taxi driver in London who lived in Kerry a few months back. His car is kept at his brothers house, he flies in Monday, stays with the brother, drives the car around making the bucks, and flies to Ireland at weekends. The cost is a return ticket, and London cab drivers can do quite well. You would consider that sad if he were Irish, but he isn't and nor is his wife. They just think that they get a better standard of living in Ireland - i.e. bigger house, country living ( which is for the rich in the UK) etc. He also has friends he meets in the pub.

Whatever works.

But is he on TV whining about how unfair it is that he 'has' to commute and pointing out how awful it is?

Never heard of RTE Player?

I never use it. I am more integrated than thou.

But why do people care so much? If someone wants to spend 5 hours on a train every day ( which is the extreme argument, anyway) for a bigger house, a house closer to extended family or friends why the hostility?

When I last worked in Dublin, i worked in Kilbarrack. The only Southsider we worked with continued to live on Southside, and took an hour to get to work, on a good day, and 90 minutes on a bad one. I took ten minutes because I rented close by and don't have that snobbery. I presume his reasons for not moving were related to wanting to be around his own type. He did live at home, right enough. Someone from the country is doing the same thing, but garnering more aggression.

Who is hostile? They can do what they want, so long as they don't whine about it. I'm saying I don't understand how it could possibly be considered a good lifestyle. Feel free to explain. Your colleague was probably living rent-free and was happy to make the sacrifice. An hour isn't too bad, especially on public transport. 3 hours in a car, concentrating the whole time? Different kettle of fish.

I never use it. I am more integrated than thou.

That was actually the first time I've watched it and probably the last. RTE broadcast some awful sh1te.

Who is hostile? They can do what they want, so long as they don't whine about it. I'm saying I don't understand how it could possibly be considered a good lifestyle. Feel free to explain. Your colleague was probably living rent-free and was happy to make the sacrifice. An hour isn't too bad, especially on public transport. 3 hours in a car, concentrating the whole time? Different kettle of fish.

Well, I wouldn't do it. But that's 90 minutes a commute, which is common enough within cities. ( however I would only use public transport for that kind of commute).

• Advertisement
Advertisement