Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Commute

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I know people who do this. They have land with a promise to build their one off mansion. They won't rent cause it's "dead money" (in their opinion), they reckon they are saving by commuting from Dublin to a long long long way, arriving to their folks house to their kids at nine at night, leaving in the small hours of the morning, they barely see their kids. It would be very very hard for them to give up the notion of the free land and an opportunity to "design" their own house.

They live in their cars.

When they build their mansion they won't be able to walk anywhere as the area isn't serviced, the road is too dangerous for kids to walk or cycle.

They will continue to live in their cars.

Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. The cities are not that bad, for the money these guys save and spend on fuel they could live in an amazing, child friendly part of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Stark wrote: »
    Take you to court, have you thrown in jail.

No can't be done.
    To an extent I always wonder what the point of this is, I don't see how putting someone in jail helps the bank recoup their money.

Don't worry it can't be done.
    Snakeblood wrote: »

Can't be done.
    markpb wrote: »
    Take you to court, get a judgement order against you, take the house and sell it and, if they don't cover the remaining mortgage, have you declared bankrupt.

^This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Reloc8 wrote: »
    No can't be done.

You sure about that? I mean if you're declared bankrupt and unable to pay, you're not going to face a prison service. But if the court decided that it was within your means to pay, but you stuck up your finger to them (as the poster was suggesting) wouldn't you be in contempt of court as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

This documentary was a missed opportunity by RTE - there was an interesting programme to be made here about people having to travel for their jobs but tbh I thought the people featured weren't representative in any way of most commuters.

The hurling guy in London was quite infuriating - he looked to have a decent job in a fairly decent school but travels home every weekend. To play hurling. For Westmeath. Makes no sense whatsoever in my book and he was in no position to be whining about it on national television. If he loves hurling so much then why not play for one of the growing number of clubs in London?

The Cork mid-wife case a bit odd as well. Did it mention in the programme what qualification she had? I doubt if she was dual-qualified (ie. a nurse and a mid-wife) or else she would have had more employment options. I would guess she spent a fortune on doing a fast-track mid-wife course and probably due to a gigantic mortgage and large family is under financial pressure. Hard to know what would be the best option for her but unless she's on huge money in London, what she's doing makes no sense.

The builder guy in London - get the plane home. Simple. Why spend 15 hours travelling by boat etc. to spend 1 day at home?

The Limerick commuting train gang - 6 hrs a day on the train is ridiculous. This might be feasible for a short period with a view to sorting something out (ie. working from home a couple of days, getting a job closer to home). I know a few people from Limerick working in Dublin and they do the sensible thing of travelling up early on Monday and back down on Friday evening. Not easy either but better quality of life than stuck on a train for 30 hrs a week.

I know all of the people featured in the programme are facing difficult decisions and situations. But the information that the viewer was given and the way the people were represented made their actions seem illogical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Stark wrote: »
    You sure about that? I mean if you're declared bankrupt and unable to pay, you're not going to face a prison service. But if the court decided that it was within your means to pay, but you stuck up your finger to them (as the poster was suggesting) wouldn't you be in contempt of court as a result?

Alright so I was being very general. Basically as long as you are a Freeman of the Land and refuse to accept admiralty jurisdiction you'll be fine.

Ah no only messing.

This applies :http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0021/sec0002.html#sec2

Imprisonment can happen after an installments order is made (which is obliged to be consistent with means of the debtor) only in case of wilfull refusal or culpable neglect, where the debtor has not goods which could be taken in satisfaction of the monies owed.

But no, you can't just be locked up because you owe the Bank money and its nothing to do with contempt of court.

Hope that clarifies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

The guy travelling to Dublin from Limerick and back every day made no sense. Book a B&B and chat to your wife and kids on Skype. You'd probably see more of them that way then arriving home when they're heading off to bed.

The lad travelling back to play hurling every weekend - it's not like you're even from a big hurling county. Maybe I'm blinkered though because I would never give the GAA that much of my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Having spent a few years with reasonably long commutes I consider myself fairly lucky to only have a 5 second commute from my house to my office in the garden. My wife works about a 60 second drive from the house.

unklerosco wrote: »
    My wife works about a 60 second drive from the house.

Do you mean a five minute walk or does she use the car for such a short journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Walks, cycles, drives.. Depends on weather she's to bring gear to work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The guy travelling to Dublin from Limerick and back every day made no sense. Book a B&B and chat to your wife and kids on Skype. You'd probably see more of them that way then arriving home when they're heading off to bed.

The lad travelling back to play hurling every weekend - it's not like you're even from a big hurling county. Maybe I'm blinkered though because I would never give the GAA that much of my time.

I would see the point of the guy going back to play hurling every weekend. It's not really something he can get where he is, and he really likes it, and he doesn't seem to have dependents. The success level of the county doesn't really come into it for me.

Edit: Not that I feel sorry for him, but I think he's doing a thing he thinks is worth doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

As someone that lives "abroad" I am considering moving my famiy "home" and entering into a similar arrangement to what that lady in Cork is doing.

Whilst I feel sorry for all (except the GAA player) the programme was called the Commute. It aint a commute if you spend the majority of the nights of the week away from where you consider "home"

The only commuter on that programme was the man from Limerick.

The guy from Sligo was an emigrant in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had to do a Dublin - Cork round trip this weekend. leaving friday around 4.30 pm was a disaster. Coming back saturday evening was ok.
    But anyone doing that trip every day by car just for work is not sane in the head.

Have to say that years ago was considering renting cheap here and fly back every weekend to where i come from. Just didnt work out with the time tables but 4 plane tickets a month would easily have been paid out of the savings i would have made in rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Got a months holidays coming up soon, might just stay in Ireland at the end and not go back to the ****hole that is the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

flash1080 wrote: »
    Got a months holidays coming up soon, might just stay in Ireland at the end and not go back to the ****hole that is the UK.

You'll find that ireland is a far smaller but more successful at being a ****hole..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Between my wife and myself we spend up to €5000 a year on travelling to Dublin.. with the train service being so mind blowingly slow, 2 hours to get from Gorey to Dublin (WHAT!!) and the bus service still difficult we have decided to look to rent an appartment in 12-18 months as this can't continue.. Fuel is going up again soon...

Ireland and it's commuters are simply not good bed fellows, the cost of the fuel and the ****ty infrastructure make it slow and costly... very irritating that I fall into this ****ty group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

My son has a classmate whose father has a big job in The City and commutes to Dublin just after lunchtime on Fridays and returns early on Monday mornings. He's been doing this for as long as I know him (about 11 years). I've never heard him complain about the commute and over the years he always seems to be at the Christmas plays, Sports Days, etc. I just don't know how he does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Show was pure and utter shíte, all it was missing was some violins.

If you can't handle your commute then come up with a solution.

A 1 hour commute is pretty common here in the Netherlands and Germany, car ownership is expensive. Allot of lads I work with commute every week from the UK to Germany, I myself travel 128 km each way to Work, If I get the train is 3 and 1/2 hrs each way.

Before seeing that, we didn't think that we were Tv Show material :D

If it bothered me that much i'd move or get a job closer to home, but I love my job and tbh theres not much difference than working in a city and spending 30 - 45 minutes on Public Transport, to spending 1hr and 15 mins in the Car to get to work door to door.

Working in one country and living in another brings up a whole load of problems though, the commute would be the least of my worries, especially with UK and Ireland, your wages would be all over the place with the exchange rate.

Advertisement