Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a style and class

• 01-11-2011 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Im looking for recommendations for a standing striking style that has classes near enough to Dublin City Centre.

I did a bit of boxing a few years back but would have lost the basic skills by now.

Im 25, tall and thin and fairly athletic.

I would be looking for a class that would be good for a beginner but with a few experienced members.

I dont mind taking a few knocks along the way so Im not looking for a beginners group where most new ones give up in the first month.

If there is a bit of craic in the class as well that would be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Bridgestone Muay Thai are just beside the city center. You can pay per class if you just want to try it out and there is plenty of spare gear there if your just starting out.
    The trainers are very good and the fighters compete internationally. Can't ask for more really

http://www.bridgestonemuaythai.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Thanks. Ill stop in sometime this month and have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Check out www.bujinkan.ie - there are a few clubs in/near city centre. I recommend the Harolds Cross Dojo.

- Bujinkan contains standup striking as well as grappling/weapons in an integrated whole.
    - Classes are mixed: beginners/seniors althiugh most clubs have a 6/8 week beginners intro period first irrespective of previous martial arts experience
    - The craic can be mighty as long as you train seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Thanks. I wouldnt be too interested in training with various weapons beyond learning how to defend a knife attack for instance.

Muay Thai looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

My teacher has a Kali Class on Tuesdays in the St John Bosco in Drimnagh right beside the Luas stop. 8pm-10pm. Focus is knife, stick and panantukan (filipino boxing). Beginners and experienced. Everyone welcome. We train hard and have fun at the same time.

www.nafiannafinn.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement