Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zinedane Zidane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

matt le tissier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Warper wrote: »
    So basically all British and Irish players can never be considered great. Same goes for all Asian and African players. Players like Best, Weah, Van Basten, C Ronaldo, Batistuta etc. can never be great players using your logic.

I said the reason the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Beckenbauer are always near the top on the all time lists is because they did it at the World Cup, I'm not trying to belittle Messi, himself and Ronaldo are the best players since Maradona. What I was saying was that the others above have their reputations based on performances in World Cups on top of everything else. Look at Raul, for example, if he had a good World Cup in career, he'd probably be mentioned in the same breath as above but unfortunately he didn't. Is that really that hard to understand.

Ronaldo's Club career Apps 518 Goals 352 (1993 - 2011) 18 years

That is his entire career.

Remember Messi has turned 24 and has over 200 club goals already so equally as impressive is wrong.

Your the one who brought up stats. Ronaldo's later career was destroyed by injuries, whose to know Messi wont go the same way, why dont you compare Ronaldo up till the age of 24!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

bullvine wrote: »
    Your the one who brought up stats. Ronaldo's later career was destroyed by injuries, whose to know Messi wont go the same way, why dont you compare Ronaldo up till the age of 24!

Youre the one who mentioned Ronaldo's stats so i brought them up. Just because they compare unfavourably with Messi there is no need to be really annoyed when you are plain wrong. Messi's stats is better than anyone and he is just gone 24. There is so much more improvement in him which is scary yet beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It wouldn't matter as Messi is a better player no matter how you look at it. Ronaldo was very good but Messi is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter as Messi is a better player no matter how you look at it. Ronaldo was very good but Messi is a genius.

Ronaldo was more than very good. Incredible footballer in his pomp

You're saying Ronaldo wasn't a genius? What are you smoking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I will never feel that a player has to win a world cup to be considered great.

If messi scores 50 a year for the next 3 years and happens to pull a hamstring before the 2014 world cup, will that mean he will never be remembered in the top level of great players of all time

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ronaldo was more than very good. Incredible footballer in his pomp

Completely agree - he was unstoppable and was also a genius. He had it all, pace, strength and lethal finishing. Will always be one of the greats.

Youre the one who mentioned Ronaldo's stats so i brought them up. Just because they compare unfavourably with Messi there is no need to be really annoyed when you are plain wrong. Messi's stats is better than anyone and he is just gone 24. There is so much more improvement in him which is scary yet beautiful.

What are you smoking? You brought up stats with your copy and paste job about Messi from wikipedia!

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    I will never feel that a player has to win a world cup to be considered great.

If messi scores 50 a year for the next 3 years and happens to pull a hamstring before the 2014 world cup, will that mean he will never be remembered in the top level of great players of all time

Thats not what I am trying to say, Messi is incredible and is well on his way to maybe being the greatest but his legacy will be tainted if he doesnt do it at the World Cup, is that so hard to understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ronaldo's Club career Apps 518 Goals 352 (1993 - 2011) 18 years

That is his entire career.

Remember Messi has turned 24 and has over 200 club goals already so equally as impressive is wrong.

Ronaldo's career was destroyed by his knees and yet what he achieved is remarkable. Messi has not had to surmount the obstacles that Ronaldo did. Messi is a lucky boy to be surrounded by so many great players. For me he hasn't been seriously challenged yet.

Messi was non-existent at the last World Cup, great players tend to step up to the plate at World Cups. Take Maradona, he's my number 3 actually. Now he carried Argentina to the '86' World Cup. Unfortunately his knees were destroyed in Italy at a time when such players weren't protected.

Messi has time on his side, but personally I can't ever see him matching Maradona.

Thats not what I am trying to say, Messi is incredible and is well on his way to maybe being the greatest but his legacy will be tainted if he doesnt do it at the World Cup, is that so hard to understand!

frankly to be honest it is. Is cruyffs legacy tainted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

This thread needs a poll :D

Zidane is the best player I've ever seen, looked like men against boys whenever he played and I don't remember him having a bad game. Plus he loafed that twat Materazzi.

Seen plenty of Maradona, but he was such a different player its hard to compare the two. Comparing players who play in different positions is complicated because they play the game differently. It would be easier to compare Zidane to Xavi or Maradona to Messi than comparing Zidane to Maradona. Having said that, if I could pick one to play for Liverpool, I'd take Zidane by a hair :P

Cruyff was brilliant in 74 as far I have heard.

You're saying Ronaldo wasn't a genius? What are you smoking?

Ronaldo was a great player and I'm not arguing against that, I'm just saying that Messi is better. That's all.

If you had to choose between them in a fantasy 11 which would you pick? I reckon most would choose Messi, as would I. And that's no bad reflection on Ronaldo who was a great player in his own right. It's a shame his career became so blighted by injury.

Cruyff was brilliant in 74 as far I have heard.

but he didnt win it.

Why I dont understand your argument is that you must be born in a certain country to be the greatest of all time. Pele said best was the greatest he ever seen, but i dont think he ever even played in a world cup.

Thats why I think the argument is stupid

Look back over my posts, what I said was he needs to perform at the World Cup, he doesnt have to win it, just show up, hes still got at least 2 more in him at this stage, so it could happen.

Ronaldo was a great player and I'm not arguing against that, I'm just saying that Messi is better. That's all.

If you had to choose between them in a fantasy 11 which would you pick? I reckon most would choose Messi, as would I. And that's no bad reflection on Ronaldo who was a great player in his own right. It's a shame his career became so blighted by injury.

Indeed it was. It really does depend on the team to be honest. For example Ronaldo was the perfect player for the Real Madrid team he played in.

• Advertisement

but why does he need to perform at a world cup thats my question to you?

Why will a players legacy be boiled down to 7 matches every 4 years

Because that is what history as shown us but its not just the world cup, its everything else on top of it.

Oh and talking of Pele and some things hes said, check out

Google - Pele: Lionel Messi is an incomplete player

whats everything else on top of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Before Messi, for years there was heated debate about who was better, Pele or Maradona. That debate would never have being settled. Why? Because it is personal interpretation that will make anyone decide who they think was better and for what reason. It's not a mathematical equation with a definite answer. The same debate will go on about Messi, and the next genius after that. I was too young to see Pele (and Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Puskas, etc) live regularly on television. I was barely old enough to remeber the magical Maradona of the 80's(although my father was at the 86 World Cup and said words couldn't describe seeing him play in person). I am just thankful that another supremel talented player like Messi has come around in an age where all matches are viewable and quality footage a key-stroke away.
    And to anyone who can't, or too young, to remember the "original" Ronaldo, the boy was more than very good, he was a genius.

Before Messi, for years there was heated debate about who was better, Pele or Maradona. That debate would never have being settled. Why? Because it is personal interpretation that will make anyone decide who they think was better and for what reason. It's not a mathematical equation with a definite answer. The same debate will go on about Messi, and the next genius after that. I was too young to see Pele (and Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Puskas, etc) live regularly on television. I was barely old enough to remeber the magical Maradona of the 80's(although my father was at the 86 World Cup and said words couldn't describe seeing him play in person). I am just thankful that another supremel talented player like Messi has come around in an age where all matches are viewable and quality footage a key-stroke away.
    And to anyone who can't, or too young, to remember the "original" Ronaldo, the boy was more than very good, he was a genius.

stop sitting on the fence you

Because that is what history as shown us but its not just the world cup, its everything else on top of it.

sorry my fault for quoting pele. Isn't he the same man who said an african side won win a world cup by 2000.

I assume he only said that cos he's argentine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Look back over my posts, what I said was he needs to perform at the World Cup, he doesnt have to win it, just show up, hes still got at least 2 more in him at this stage, so it could happen.

At the rate he's going, he really doesn't need to. Over 50 games per season, over 50 goals per season, a 3rd consecutive WPOTY award most likely on its way... Of course lifting the world cup would be the ideal most iconic way to cap it but doing it game after game, season after season trumps a run of 7 or so games every 4 years in the summer. The levels of consistency are nowhere near comparable. You seem to be picking and choosing the criteria to suit your argument. Why not choose longevity? Mentality? Professionalism? Doing more at a younger age etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"I would love to play with Lionel Messi. But Messi is an incomplete player because he can't use his head. Also I played football for 20 years, Messi has only played for several years."

I do believe Messi scored a header in a Champions League final once

Google - Messi header

I'm not picking and choosing, if he continues his astonishing club career he probably will be the greatest but wouldnt it be nice for him to do it in 2014 to top everything off and then there can be no debate at all.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I do believe Messi scored a header in a Champions League final once

Google - Messi header

I think Pele also said Denilson was the best player in the world

I think Pele also said Denilson was the best player in the world

oh that pele. Theres a man who really shouldn't open his mouth. erection problems ..... anyone

• Advertisement

Has anybody been reading the Football Pantheon Website by Miguel Delaney, I found it fascinating.

sorry my fault for quoting pele. Isn't he the same man who said an african side won win a world cup by 2000

Yes, the same Pele who reckoned El Hadj Diouf was one of the top players in the world, so I'd take anything he says with a pinch of salt. And in all fairness when you have feet as gifted as Messi has who needs heading ability? Maradona never headed the ball in his life and it didn't stop him from being one of the greatest players of all time.

Yes, the same Pele who reckoned El Hadj Diouf was one of the top players in the world, so I'd take anything he says with a pinch of salt. And in all fairness when you have feet as gifted as Messi has who needs heading ability? Maradona never headed the ball in his life and it didn't stop him from being one of the greatest players of all time.

i think you're forgetting a super header against england in the world cup

Poor old Zidane barely got a mention in his own thread.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Poor old Zidane barely got a mention in his own thread.

and what does that tell you......

i think you're forgetting a super header against england in the world cup

Haha. Forgot that one alright. One of the truly great headers in World Cup history :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Pavel Nedved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

That Zidane goal against leverkeusen (I think) in the European Cup final was unreal.

Also, if you wanna pull stats from Wikipedia as above, try pulling Brazilian Ronaldo's, they are equally as impressive as Messi.

I did in a prev post but they are not as impressive as Messi's. No one can better Messi's stats.

and what does that tell you......

It tells me that if some people didn't ludicrously suggest he was the best player ever, or even the best they've ever seen it would've been about him rather than people like Pele, Messi and Maradona.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    That Zidane goal against leverkeusen (I think) in the European Cup final was unreal.

would you mind staying on topic. We're talking about messi.

some people, christ above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Maradona was the best I've seen.

Not just because of the World Cup - but because in an Era where Serie A was by far the best league in the World he took a relatively 'small' club to two Serie A titles and a UEFA cup in an Era where he was up against Saachi's Milan, Trap's Juve then Trap's Inter - and in a league where the best players in the world were playing at the time.

He made the best defenders in the World at the time look like clowns in some games - check out the Napoli:Milan game from 1988 where they (Napoli) took the Milan defence apart and beat them 4:1.

Second would be Brazilian Ronaldo up until he got badly injured at Inter.

I'd put Messi third.

As a Juve fan I'd rate Alex Del Piero and Pavel Nedved ahead of Zidane for Juve - although not ahead of Zidane overall as he was immense for France and Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

would you mind staying on topic. We're talking about messi.

some people, christ above

No were not. This is a thread about Diego Maradona.

Maradona was the best I've seen.

Not just because of the World Cup - but because in an Era where Serie A was by far the best league in the World he took a relatively 'small' club to two Serie A titles and a UEFA cup in an Era where he was up against Saachi's Milan, Trap's Juve then Trap's Inter - and in a league where the best players in the world were playing at the time.

He made the best defenders in the World at the time look like clowns in some games - check out the Napoli:Milan game from 1988 where they (Napoli) took the Milan defence apart and beat them 4:1.

Second would be Brazilian Ronaldo up until he got badly injured at Inter.

I'd put Messi third.

Alot of his greatest performances came after those injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dempsey wrote: »
    Alot of his greatest performances came after those injuries.

Granted yes. I don't think he was ever as consistently as brilliant though.

But his performance against Man Utd in the ECL was as good as I've seen from an individual player.

In case it's not been mentioned Zidane has won everything there is to win. Both international tournaments, the Champions League and League titles in two of the 'big' leagues. I don't think many players can match that claim (maybe Henry)? Some other players will have bigger medal hauls but to me Zidane's is one of the most impressive. Further so because he was the leader and center of those teams.

Granted yes. I don't think he was ever as consistently as brilliant though.

But his performance against Man Utd in the ECL was as good as I've seen from an individual player.

He carried a very average Brazilian team, they were struggling for form for at least a year, to a World Cup in 2002. He was just back from a 2nd career threatening knee injury and buried the memory of the 1998 World Cup final in emphatic fashion.

That performance against Man U was another excellent showcase of his ability.

Dotrel wrote: »
    In case it's not been mentioned Zidane has won everything there is to win. Both international tournaments, the Champions League and League titles in two of the 'big' leagues. I don't think many players can match that claim (maybe Henry)? Some other players will have bigger medal hauls but to me Zidane's is one of the most impressive. Further so because he was the leader and center of those teams.

Xavis medal haul is much more impressive.

Zidane's club haul isn't all that impressive, especially when you consider he was part of the Gallactico era which is viewed by many as a bit of a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Not liking this talk of medal haul. Not really a good indication of a players quality.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Xavis medal haul is much more impressiv

It would be if he left his well oiled machine at Barca and La Liga behind and went to the Prem or Italy and won it all again there too. If he did that then I'd agree with you.

Advertisement