Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zinedane Zidane.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

event wrote: »
    can ye back that up there with proof?

Was Armstrong ever officially caught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So, can you support your allegation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

No.

can you back up your original statement?

mitosis wrote: »
    So, can you support your allegation?

Yeah I have lots of Blood bags in the attic. I might destroy them like they did in Spain.

Yeah I have lots of Blood bags in the attic. I might destroy them like they did in Spain.

Is that a "No", then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What are ppl banging on about creatine for? Perfectly legal.

Back to the love in then guys. There was no systematic doping at Juventus and Real SpainCelona are also clean.

It's just those devilish cyclists and 100 meter sprinters that are into that lark.

Zidane and the fine upstanding
    establishment of Juventus remain unsullied

Back to the love in then guys. There was no systematic doping at Juventus and Real SpainCelona are also clean.

It's just those devilish cyclists and 100 meter sprinters that are into that lark.

Look, if you show me evidence I'll gladly look at it. There is all sorts of proof available for athletes and cyclists, and some footballers have been caught for doping.
    But while it seems an out of proportion number were in Italy, guess what? Italy is the only place where proper testing has been done for the last 20 years, and several of those caught in Italy weren't there long enough to have doped there, Jap Stam comes to mind. While in England, for example, the testers often remarked the only players ever at the ground when they showed up were the suspended and injured.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

In fairness he said he thinks, so it's an opinion.

Fwiw I think there is a fair bit of it goin on though I would think the pl might be less susceptible due to the way they view the game. At any rate it isnt new as german in 1954??? And cryuffs ajax and holland were juicing. Valencia spain and barca have all had accusations levelled by people who should know. I'd say its naive to think otherwise. Hell there are rugby players using hgh for recovery and stephen roche was defo on somethin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had the great pleasure of seeing Brady and
    McGrath in their primes (and they were special) nothing compares to ZZ when I saw him in Landsdowne in '07. He was (moronically) booed
    that night which disgusted me as he owned the
    park Inc one R Keane which is no mean feat.

One of the greats if not the greatest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Look, if you show me evidence I'll gladly look at it. There is all sorts of proof available for athletes and cyclists, and some footballers have been caught for doping.
    But while it seems an out of proportion number were in Italy, guess what? Italy is the only place where proper testing has been done for the last 20 years, and several of those caught in Italy weren't there long enough to have doped there, Jap Stam comes to mind. While in England, for example, the testers often remarked the only players ever at the ground when they showed up were the suspended and injured.......

There is very stringent testing in Athletics and Cycling and still people are getting away with it. Football testing is a joke in comparison and financial rewards for cheating are far higher so it is inevitable that cheating is rife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Too true Italy had put in a comprehensive system of testing before many other nations. That is not to say it was anything to write home about. But english football had to be made to test. Even the LOI and the FAI had a better system of testing in place than the English game. Now thats saying something.

I remember testers hanging around Turners Cross in the late 90's early 00s?long before a system was put in place in England properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

no one is saying its a love in, dont be a child.
    but when people start to make claims about drug use and PED's, you should really be able to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Virtually every English player took Creatine.

http://www.lamuscle.com/magazine/article/footballers-creatine

In fact some LOI players who were training full time and went to England and came back to play friendlies or such like a few months later despite not training any more or the same would have huge muscle development.

I can think of two in particular.

Colin Jackson pontificating about drug use on Athletics coverage on the BBC was a huge creatine user.

Drugs are virtually ignored in American team sports. Americans own loads of English football teams. English and British cyclists up to no good never mentioned or hinted by the BBC. Ask cycling enthusiasts and they will tell you they are no different.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-a-craze-that-is-creatine-tension-1196367.html
    Creatine isnt a drug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I didnt say it was. That was the point I was trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd say a hell of a lot of clubs are using illegal drugs. And if it's not illegal, they probably know the loopholes. But the fact is, players like Zidane have amazing skill. If he took EPO, that would improve his stamina. He still has the same ball control, trickery and vision. Where the likes of cyclists and sprinters taking performance enhancing drugs, it directly relates to their times/speeds.
    Obviously drug taking in football is bad and it does improve performances, but it can't make a bad/average player a great/world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Before he went to Juventus at the age of 24 he was a good player but I doubt anyone thought he would go on to be the player he was. Man Utd, Newcastle and Blackburn all turned down opportunities to sign him. Zidane improved immeasurably when he joined Juventus the club who systemically doped their players. Then Real Madrid was another excellent place to be for Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

event wrote: »
    can ye back that up there with proof?
    "I saw well-known footballers [being treated by Fuentes], but I cannot say how many," - Jesus Manzano

Read this thread, opening post has plenty of quotes.

This quote is particularly shocking:

"If I would talk, the Spanish football team would be stripped of the 2010 World Cup" - Eufemiano Fuentes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Before he went to Juventus at the age of 24 he was a good player but I doubt anyone thought he would go on to be the player he was. Man Utd, Newcastle and Blackburn all turned down opportunities to sign him. Zidane improved immeasurably when he joined Juventus the club who systemically doped their players. Then Real Madrid was another excellent place to be for Zidane.

Man Utd were hot favs to buy Zidane before Euro96, but he had a poor tournament, and Poborsky had a great one. They lost interest in Zidane and bought the current 'in thing'. The rest is history.

For me this just shows that they bought the wrong man, based on the fact that he had a few bad games. That shows they didn't scout him properly, cos if they did they would have known how good he was. If you buy a guy based on a few good performances, like Poborsky, then you only have yourself to blame whenever he disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He didn't actually improve when he joined Juventus. His first season was a bit up and down as he was playing as a defensive midfielder. When he was moved further up was when his talent came to the fore. I've no idea if Zidane took drugs, but his talent had a lot more to do with what he's known for then drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Corholio wrote: »
    He didn't actually improve when he joined Juventus. His first season was a bit up and down as he was playing as a defensive midfielder. When he was moved further up was when his talent came to the fore. I've no idea if Zidane took drugs, but his talent had a lot more to do with what he's known for then drugs.

Completely agreed, on both points.

Advertisement