Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog - Lump on his chest bone

• 01-11-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Morning guys...

Just wondering if anoyone has any advice...

My cocker is nearly 7.... and last night i felt a small lump... maybe the size of the nail on your little finger... just on his breast bone... its soft enough and it moves under the skin. :o

now its not from a tick or a bite or anything and it doesnt appear sore for him... i always check him over and have never foudn anything on him before..

just wondering have you any thoughts?

Im bringing him to the vet on saturday morning as i cant get him to our vet during his opeing hours before sat, due to work committments etc... im just a little worried between now and then....

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

My dog (has a ripe old age of 13 1/3) started getting lumps like that a few years ago, the vet said they were just harmless cysts which we could get surgically removed if we wished, but she also said as long as the dog has no problems with them it's best leave them alone as they will only grow back.

Hope that in your it's also something harmless and that your dog remains fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much, things like that can be quite common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My other halfs cocker is coming on 16 this year and has one on her chest too, its fairly big but doesnt seem to bother her in the slightest. Up untill last year the dog was climbing mountains with me every week but now enjoys layzing around the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

My Cocker has a similar lump on his chest bone, its like a bit of grizzle that moves! We had it checked out by the vet a couple of years back and he said its harmless, just old age setting in. He has a couple of cysts aswell that you cant see with all his hair. If in doubt, get it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If its soft and moves easily it sounds like a harmless lipoma (fatty lump basically), they're fairly common but its best to get the vet to aspirate it anyway as thats the only way you can tell for sure. I wouldnt worry too much as you'll be at the vet saturday so just mention it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks a million to all who replied.... much appreciated ;)

Yeah i think its fairly harmless... its not hard, kinda soft and it moves under the skin.... it doesnt seem to hurt or annoy him either....but ill be bringing him to the vet on sat to make 100%... would never forgive myself if it was something more serious.

as for the poster that mentioned old age :eek:..... that brought a tear to my eye... hate the thought of him getting on....:o... but he's nearly 7 now so its a sad reality :rolleyes:

Ill ley you guys know how he gets on :pac:

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Aw, he's still only a young grasshopper :) My Cocker was 13 in June and he could pass for alot younger, he's still mad to go (within reason!). Today we had a 3 y/o Cocker from a local animal rescue spend the morning with us and Jake was great with him, especially on our walk. So good infact that we are going to have him again on Thursday for a couple of hours, helping him get ready to find his forever home. Enjoy every minute with them, it flies by :) Best of luck at the vet.

Advertisement