Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Charge Bicycle Repairs????

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a bicycle a few months back to cycle to work! Does anyone know the average "lifespan" for a set of tires! I cycle about 8 miles a day!

I have never dealt with a bike repair shop and as it stands the tires now constantly need to be pumped! 2/3 times a week which is a pain!

I also need to replace the back brake pads!

So thats replacing 2 tires (i think) and 1 set of brakes! How much on average should one expect to pay for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

you should get a set (front and rear) of brake pads for between 10-15 euro depending were you go,i would expect to pay closer to 25 per tyre again depending were you go.Then you have to factor in labour if you cant do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your tyres are probably fine, you probably have a slow puncture in both wheels. Fixing a puncture is probably the most fundamental of things you should know how to do on a bike - up there with swapping out a wheel or checking the oil on a car. You would be much better off doing this yourself as then you'll be able to do it yourself in future.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Wheels_and_Tires/Fixing_a_flat

If you put it into a shop, you're probably look at €10 per wheel (€5 for a new tube, €5 for the fix).

Are you sure your brake pads on the back need replacing? 8 miles a day for a few months shouldn't usually wear them out enough. The brakes may just need adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

I agree with Seamus - your tyres are probably fine and you really need to learn to fix a puncture (even if you do nothing else on your bike!). Sooner or later you will end up on the side of the road, in the pissings of rain, looking at a very flat tyre, usually the back wheel and always at the furthest point from home!

Advertisement