Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Funding

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi

I have a degree, postgrad dip and masters but all which I did in the evening part time and paid for myself. I would really like to do a degree in languages but couldn't afford to pay for it now (I've three children and ideally would love to do languages and then do the H.Dip in Maynooth)

As I haven't done any course through the free education/grants etc, do you think I would be eligible for funding for a degree in 2012? Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be really grateful. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hi

I have a degree, postgrad dip and masters but all which I did in the evening part time and paid for myself. I would really like to do a degree in languages but couldn't afford to pay for it now (I've three children and ideally would love to do languages and then do the H.Dip in Maynooth)

As I haven't done any course through the free education/grants etc, do you think I would be eligible for funding for a degree in 2012? Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be really grateful. Many thanks

Unfortunatelty the free fees scheme only applies if you are starting out your first undergraduate degree, regardless if you have already have one and paid for it yourself. Same with the grants, you can only apply for them if you are continuously going up in your education (level 6 to level 7, level 7 to level 8, level 8 to level 9 etc)

What you could do though is start doing a PhD where you should be able apply for grants for this. Then again im unexperienced as to the workload needed for a PhD (heavy work I assume!) so I dunno if doing a PhD suits, especially if you have children :o. Then again it may be ok workload wise as they tend to go on for longer periods

Alternatively you may be able to go back and study a degree part time and avail of 20% tax back from your degree every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Many thanks for that response Michael. It was very helpful and insightful as the whoel grant area is a minefield to me. I think I may end up putting it on the back burner for a while or do something through Open University instead. Thanks a mill.

Advertisement