Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Boards deal on brushes

• 01-11-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the dark here on this. I know Mac brushes seem to be the benchmark against which all others are compaired so can someone tell me if the current deal on Boards is worth taking? Buying these for a 15 year old who seems to spend her life infront of a mirror applying various creams and powders.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'd love to know peoples opinions on/experiences with these brushes too. I googled them but didn't find anything relevant.

I'd like them for myself if they are decent. :) I have a MAC set but I don't like taking them outside the house just incase I'd lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

where is this deal?
    can you post the link please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 loganberry

To be honest, in my opinion, I don't think that is a good deal. They just look like lots of those Chinese brushes you can get with any name on them which you can get for approx €40 for the set. I have genuine MAC brushes that I bought in BT's and each one cost between €22 and €45. I bought some cheap eyeshadows from Hong Kong and got a travel size brush set free and while they looked lovely, they were no where near the quality of MAC. I gave them to my DD to play with as there wasn't one that I could use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

To be fair, she's only 15. I wouldn't be spending a fortune on make-up brushes for a 15 year old. I don't have any MAC brushes- have a few benefit ones and they're great. My foundation brush is just a No.7 one and I find it really good. Chances are she's not using extremely expensive make up either, and I'm assuming she can't be wearing too much make up in school every day so I think buying these rather than very expensive ones would be better.

Old Goat I'd say they'd be a good deal for her at her age because this way she can experiment with them and see what types of brushes she likes and gets use out of the most, so that she can then invest in more expensive ones in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think it looks like the cheapy Chinese sets on ebay. I would try to find an alternative option. I only use Mac options but I'm sure others can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I have not heard of these brushes but to me they look better than the generic chinese/ebay sets. The ebay set descriptions often say the set includes for example a shader brush, a blending brush, a contour brush etc etc... BUT when you look at the actually brushes in the set they all look very similar... ie. the same hair used in each brush and often the same shape, just different size. In saying that, this set is much more expensive than the ebay sets.

These look better to me because by just looking at them, you can see each brush was designed for a different purpose and different materials went into each. They look to me to be more along the lines of Sigma brushes (which I have not used). Sigma brushes are mostly copies of Mac brushes (which I do use). I would check the price of these against Sigma and maybe opt for a Sigma set if it's cheaper as those are more well known. Sigma are supposed to be very good but not as good as Mac. But as Caraville said she's only 15 so doesn't need ridiculously priced Mac brushes! She may not even have heard of Mac. If on the other hand she'd be more impressed by the Mac brand name, then I would wait until Christmas and get her one of the brush sets that's coming out then. They are not hand made like the individual brushes and so quality is apparently not quite as good but they are still good and much better value than buying them seperately.

Here's the Mac christmas collection (Mac Ice Parade) which is supposed to launch this month internationally: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-ice-parade-collection-for-holiday-2011 I would recommend the "It makes perfect brush kit (essential)" set (the one with the white brushes) because it contains 3 extremely popular brushes that I would also say are an essential 3 of all mac brushes (217, 239, 168). Don't know how much it costs but I'd guess around €50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

loganberry wrote: »
    To be honest, in my opinion, I don't think that is a good deal. They just look like lots of those Chinese brushes you can get with any name on them which you can get for approx €40 for the set. I have genuine MAC brushes that I bought in BT's and each one cost between €22 and €45. I bought some cheap eyeshadows from Hong Kong and got a travel size brush set free and while they looked lovely, they were no where near the quality of MAC. I gave them to my DD to play with as there wasn't one that I could use.

Please refrain from using acronyms like DD, not everyone understands them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 fordey101

Try brushes from The Body Shop, way cheaper than MAC. Iv nearly all of them about 2 years now and they are still in perfect nick. From what i can remember they were all about €15 - €25

• Advertisement

I got the brushes and they arrived today.

First impressions are good, the brushes are nice and soft and seem quite sturdy. I am going to use them tomorrow to apply my make up so will post again on how they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Yournamehere!

I dont know about these brushes but I recommend you all check out Royal & Langnickel brushes.
    They are super cheap, are jsut as good as MAC brushes and are great quality.

I tried out most if the brushes to see what they were like. Overall I think they are quite good. The smaller eye brushes are great - sturdy, soft, no shedding, nice long handles and did everything they were supposed to.

The bigger brushes I had less success with. I used the largest brush to apply my powder foundation. It's lovely and soft but I lost a couple of bristles. Same thing with another large brush I used for blusher. Maybe a few bristles were loosened in packaging/transit, I will keep using them and report back if there is any more loss.

Anyway, this is what I did with them, a smokey-ish eye using UD Naked palette.

6337820372_e9b6720ba5.jpg
    6337068263_a920369d91.jpg
    6337067861_04c06321e4.jpg

Advertisement