Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclists on M8 (again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I asked him one day was he going to do anything about it and he said that he was too busy. I got quite annoyed with him and asked him for his name and he hung up the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Tremelo wrote: »
    As a regular M8 user, I have reported (and continue to report) the cyclists that I see every single week on the M8 between Watergrasshill and Glanmire. It makes no difference whatsoever. It's a waste of money. The guards at Glanmire Garda station (0214821002) simply do not give a damn.

Next time phone Fermoy which is the Divisional control. Report the matter and ask them for a call back. All called to a divisional HQ are logged and require a "result" of the call.

I'm quite sure it's not ignored all the time but I suspect Glanmire is quite a busy station being where it is. If said cyclist is gone off the motorway there is little a Garda can do. But please do continue to call in about it, one of these days there will be a serious collision on a motorway with cyclists (and runners which seem to be all over the M7!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

barura wrote: »
    Hey, maybe I'm being a little too kind hearted here, but if conditions were so bad, why not give them a lift to where there going? Keeps them off the road and then you can lecture them in person, if you so wish. If they're training for something on the other hand.... Well, there's devotion and then there is blind stupidity. On the other hand, if they cannot afford a car, I'm sure a lift in those conditions would not go unwelcome.

The cyclists on this section are, virtually always, kitted up to the nines. Not poor people cycling to work, but repeatly criminal devoted cyclists.

I have Glamire station's number in my Parrot at this stage...

Realistically the Guards need to start doing random patrols and actually arresting these people, the info might then seep out through their clubs not to do it. However, I believe Glanmire has a lot of problems as goes resources and manpower, there's been some articles in the papers about problems with the building at least.

Tremelo wrote: »
    I raised this matter in the Emergency Services forum a while back and was told by one user that I couldn't possibly know that the Guards don't prosecute these cyclists. ................

In fairness the folk over there would be quick to come out with that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You'd think the same about someone reversing up the hard shoulder of a motorway because they've missed their exit, but I've seen it. Twice.

I've seen it as well.
    I've seen as well once someone driving into the motorway (on M4 near Dublin) through the exit. He was going against the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As a young and dumb teenager I once ended up hitch-hiking on a UK motorway (yes, I know, dumb).
    Within 20 minutes a police bike turned up, drove me off the motorway and I was given a stern lecture.
    If you stop on the hard shoulder in Germany, you could be asked just what the hell you're doing and will receive a fine if you've run out of petrol.
    As for cyclists on the Autobahn, I couldn't even imagine what would happen, since this occurrence is about as likely as Angela Merkel writing off all of Ireland's debt and giving us a few million as a gift on top.
    I have heard a few times about pedestrians on the Autobahn, when that does happen, every radio station will broadcast an emergency message immediately, i.e. whatever is on, news, music, etc... will get interrupted to play that message.
    All car radios are programmed to automatically play this message, even if it is on another station, the radio will tune into the emergency broadcast by itself.
    Here?
    No one seems to care, least of all the Gards, nothing gets done and nothing will ever get done.
    I have honestly never seen such a lackadaisical police force.
    Tax, Insurance, Graaaand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As a young and dumb teenager I once ended up hitch-hiking on a UK motorway (yes, I know, dumb).
    Within 20 minutes a police bike turned up, drove me off the motorway and I was given a stern lecture.
    If you stop on the hard shoulder in Germany, you could be asked just what the hell you're doing and will receive a fine if you've run out of petrol.
    As for cyclists on the Autobahn, I couldn't even imagine what would happen, since this occurrence is about as likely as Angela Merkel writing off all of Ireland's debt and giving us a few million as a gift on top.
    I have heard a few times about pedestrians on the Autobahn, when that does happen, every radio station will broadcast an emergency message immediately, i.e. whatever is on, news, music, etc... will get interrupted to play that message.
    All car radios are programmed to automatically play this message, even if it is on another station, the radio will tune into the emergency broadcast by itself.
    Here?
    No one seems to care, least of all the Gards, nothing gets done and nothing will ever get done.
    I have honestly never seen such a lackadaisical police force.
    Tax, Insurance, Graaaand!

The traffic facility isn't available in this country. That's why you don't have announcements.

I'd love to know how the police are lackadaisical when a) most people wouldn't make the call, b) the offender may well be gone by the time they get to them and c) they can't be expected to be everywhere. This familiar it's all the guards fault is tired and often completely overplayed. It also ignores the fact that as a nation we ignore rules that don't suit us.

EPM wrote: »
    The traffic facility isn't available in this country. That's why you don't have announcements.

It is. Nobody uses it any more. Some of the local stations did in the past. There's absolutely no BAI restriction on using it although I suspect you'd have a LOT of confused people if you did start.

MYOB wrote: »
    It is. Nobody uses it any more. Some of the local stations did in the past. There's absolutely no BAI restriction on using it although I suspect you'd have a LOT of confused people if you did start.

That's what I meant. Although I often remember it just changing the station and there being no announcement too:D

Its a very useful function in the UK where its used extensively. Saved me a few times.

That's what I meant. Although I often remember it just changing the station and there being no announcement too:D

Its a very useful function in the UK where its used extensively. Saved me a few times.

Last time I was in the UK with someone else driving they nearly had a heart attack on the A55 when the radio jumped from something near silent (aux input from an off mp3 player or something) to a Radio Merseyside announcement. Had never heard a TA announcement before!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd love to know how the police are lackadaisical when a) most people wouldn't make the call, b) the offender may well be gone by the time they get to them and c) they can't be expected to be everywhere. This familiar it's all the guards fault is tired and often completely overplayed. It also ignores the fact that as a nation we ignore rules that don't suit us.

Oh, I'm well used to that one.;)
    But if you watch UK traffic programs, you will often see cars being pulled over by the rozzers for no particular reason, or because they strayed over the lines, or because they don't like the look of it.
    Here I've seen cars that are held together with baling twine, cars going near sideways (crabbing) due to some major structural fault, cars spewing James Bond style smoke screens, cars that can be heard in the next county due to broken exhaust, I've seen exhausts hanging off and scraping on the road, trailing sparks, cars doing 30 km/h half on the hard shoulder, in short stuff I haven't seen even in Romania, Morocco, etc...
    One might be forgiven that the law enforcement attitude is somewhat forgiving here.
    That and the fact that several people on this thread have pointed out that several complaints have been made about repeat offenders cycling a stretch of motorway and nothing was ever done.
    I did once see a Gard take action though.
    It was on the new Ennis interchange where a farmer was cycling along the middle barrier in the wrong direction.
    He was having a stand up, screaming row with a copper who was trying to tell him he can't do that.:D
    Funniest thing ever.
    But seriously, it's very dangerous and has to be stopped, don't want to say won't someone think of the children, but this is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

You dont see it much on the M1 but I recently encountered a cyclist in the driving lane overtaking a broken down artic.
    As another poster said its the lycra clad "pseudo professional" cyclists you see doing crazy things on the roads/motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I did encounter a guy on a clapped out mountain bike cycling towards me in the overtaking once on the M1. Luckily he pulled into the central median so I was saved having to scrape bits off my bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stark wrote: »
    I did encounter a guy on a clapped out mountain bike cycling towards me in the overtaking once on the M1. Luckily he pulled into the central median so I was saved having to scrape bits off my bumper.

That could be quite inconvenient alright.

In all the 000's of miles I've done on the M1 I only saw it after Oasis in Slane and he was a pedestrian in need of getting home. He was so off his face he thought I'd brought him to Fairview when I dropped him off in Drogheda town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You dont see it much on the M1 but I recently encountered a cyclist in the driving lane overtaking a broken down artic.
    As another poster said its the lycra clad "pseudo professional" cyclists you see doing crazy things on the roads/motorways

A superfluity of tight Lycra may be causing blood circulation issues in the brain.

The wearing of "safety" helmets may also be an aggravating factor.

Thread cleaned up.

Try keep this on topic, i.e. the use of the illegal use of the motorway in poor conditions.

This is not an anti-cyclist thread, or have a go at the OP thread either.

Keep this in mind before posting.
    Does it matter? Keep it on topic from here on in or there will be infractions.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A superfluity of tight Lycra may be causing blood circulation issues in the brain.

The wearing of "safety" helmets may also be an aggravating factor.

Why can't people read?

Off topic and ignoring on-thread instructions. Warning given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cyclists are a fairly regular occurence on the M11 too. Including Northbound on the bridge over the M50 where there isn't even a hard shoulder. However, it's been more walkers the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

krissovo wrote: »
    I think cyclists in the whole area are a danger to themselves. The road between Watergrasshill and Fermoy often has cyclists 4 abreast in poor conditions with them unwilling to move into single file when a car comes up behind them.

there is zero legal obligation* to do this and it's less safe to do so as well.

It's safer to be 2 wide as it makes it harder to casually overtake and forces the motorist to actually think rather than just whizz past.

*though 2 wide max is the law also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Cyclists are a fairly regular occurence on the M11 too. Including Northbound on the bridge over the M50 where there isn't even a hard shoulder. However, it's been more walkers the last couple of weeks.

Was a weekly sighting on Sat and Sun when I was still at home. Fiancée's dad did it all the time too though I refused to whenever out together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

*though 2 wide max is the law also
    Three abreast is permitted if the rider on the outside is overtaking the two on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Three abreast is permitted if the rider on the outside is overtaking the two on the inside.
    Are you saying its ok to cycle two or three abreast on a motorway? (Look at the title of the thread you posted on for reference). Or is it just an off topic post?

Are you saying its ok to cycle two or three abreast on a motorway? (Look at the title of the thread you posted on for reference). Or is it just an off topic post?

People diverted to the topic of cyclists riding abreast on tge r639

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

cops (doing speed checks) on this stretch of motorway,

hope those fkrs are ashamed of themselves and their profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Are you saying its ok to cycle two or three abreast on a motorway? (Look at the title of the thread you posted on for reference). ?
    No, it's utterly crazy to cycle on a motorway, and illegal. I can't understand why those guys do it. Experienced groups I know would not even want to ride on an 'N' road, the smaller roads are more interesting and challenging. The small roads are less likely to contain obnoxious 'confident, competant' drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

heate wrote: »
    All a driver should actually be on the lookout for on a motorway is other qualified vehicles that is vehicles which are legally allowed enter a motorway

Where do I begin with that? ...

Read the OP again. And once more for such a silly post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Where do I begin with that? ...

Read the OP again. And once more for such a silly post

You should have seen the first page originally. My first post was down near the bottom.

What if you report the cyclists to traffic watch and insist they file the report with the local station? From personal experience it seems that the local station have to follow up on reports passed through traffic watch. I think they follow up on it if nothing is done. If you see the same cyclists day in and out at the same times then they should be easily caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

barura wrote: »
    Hey, maybe I'm being a little too kind hearted here, but if conditions were so bad, why not give them a lift to where there going?

. . .weellllll, for a start it's illegal to stop on a motorway.

Imagine the irony: motorists stops on motorway to help cyclist and gets caught. Driver gets points and a fine. Cyclists gets off Scot-free.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I don't think anyone in Ireland has ever been fined for stopping on a motorway. You see people stopping all the time so their kids can enjoy a pee with the wind from cars passing at 120km/hr+ because it's so far between motorway exits in Ireland and never anything done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its Fermoy Garda station you should ring in relation to the M8 as from Glanmire on as its Cork North Traffic Division that work on that road, There's almost always Gardaí near to the M8 and R639.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stark wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in Ireland has ever been fined for stopping on a motorway. You see people stopping all the time . . ..

. . .and that, forgive the pun, will be piss-poor defence in court, if you're the unlucky one to be The One who gets pulled first.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement