Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclists on M8 (again)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But it's meant to work for the cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Stark wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in Ireland has ever been fined for stopping on a motorway. You see people stopping all the time so their kids can enjoy a pee with the wind from cars passing at 120km/hr+ because it's so far between motorway exits in Ireland and never anything done about it.

At least one has. At 120km/h you're covering 2km/minute, even with 20km gaps (very few this far apart), you're no more than 10 minutes from an exit and you'd just have passed one. People stop on motorways out of ignorance, arrogance and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Tractor pulling a load on the M8 again last Friday afternoon, heading north from Glanmire towards Watergrasshill.

Tractor was driving on the hard shoulder, and in the distance a car was stopped/ broken down. Tractor had plenty of time, but just pulled out in front of a car doing close to 120 km per hour.
    Very nearly caused an accident but the overtaking lane was empty and the driver of the car reacted quickly.
    I called the Glanmire cops to report it, the Garda that answered took the details, but didn't seem too interested (as usual). No idea if they actually came out.

To be honest, I feel like a dick reporting these cyclists and tractor drivers, but someone WILL die or be seriously injured on this piece of motorway due to the sheer numbers of people abusing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

alias no.9 wrote: »
    At least one has. At 120km/h you're covering 2km/minute, even with 20km gaps (very few this far apart), you're no more than 10 minutes from an exit and you'd just have passed one. People stop on motorways out of ignorance, arrogance and stupidity.

€200 fine? More please.

Tractor pulling a load on the M8 again last Friday afternoon, heading north from Glanmire towards Watergrasshill.

Tractor was driving on the hard shoulder, and in the distance a car was stopped/ broken down. Tractor had plenty of time, but just pulled out in front of a car doing close to 120 km per hour.
    Very nearly caused an accident but the overtaking lane was empty and the driver of the car reacted quickly.
    I called the Glanmire cops to report it, the Garda that answered took the details, but didn't seem too interested (as usual). No idea if they actually came out.

To be honest, I feel like a dick reporting these cyclists and tractor drivers, but someone WILL die or be seriously injured on this piece of motorway due to the sheer numbers of people abusing it.

I don't know how dedicated you are to these matters, or how much time you have to spare for pursuing what AGS are paid to do on our behalf. However, I would suggest that if you report something you follow it up and ask for a progress report. If you get no joy from the rank and file Gardai, go to their superiors. The thing is, if there is a serious collision, you'll feel bad that you didn't persist. At least if you get your efforts acknowledged, somebody in authority can ultimately be made accountable for any official lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

These muppets again just now.
    They will not learn until someone is killed.

Gardai in Glanmire not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen JOGGERS on this section recently; and someone on a horse in the median at Cahir.

I'm starting to despair...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Well, I saw it all today on the M8 in Cork today! Couldn't believe it! First time I've ever seen cyclists on a motorway anywhere!

Four cyclists, two abreast on the hard shoulder. Car driver in front of me was laying on the horn at them, they were laughing and shaking their heads at him. I drove on to see two more stopped, waiting for a break in traffic so they could nip by an exit!!!! I was going well under the 120kph limit, and judging by their body language and facial expressions they were oblivious to the risks they were taking (or just didn't give a fook).

Last year I saw an Alfa get a front left blow out in the driving lane, he ended up in the hard shoulder for about 400 metres at speed, out of control. I wouldn't spend five minutes on the hard shoulder in a Sherman tank!

(hands free not working, didn't call the Gardai)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

JC have to say thats absolutely mad.
    Might be worth contacting the Gardai to report it. If its a regular occurance then some one is going to get killed sooner or later,
    I'm a commited cyclist (but do like driving from tim to time!) and really have no time for this sort of behaviour..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If itS a regular cyclist, they may be wearing club gear. You could notify the club that members are on the motorway. Obviously they can't make their member not do it, but they at least might make the cyclist aware of the stupidity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Well, I saw it all today on the M8 in Cork today! Couldn't believe it! First time I've ever seen cyclists on a motorway anywhere!

Four cyclists, two abreast on the hard shoulder. Car driver in front of me was laying on the horn at them, they were laughing and shaking their heads at him. I drove on to see two more stopped, waiting for a break in traffic so they could nip by an exit!!!! I was going well under the 120kph limit, and judging by their body language and facial expressions they were oblivious to the risks they were taking (or just didn't give a fook).

Last year I saw an Alfa get a front left blow out in the driving lane, he ended up in the hard shoulder for about 400 metres at speed, out of control. I wouldn't spend five minutes on the hard shoulder in a Sherman tank!

I,ve reported this on several occassions, and it's still happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement