Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum rental property standards - microwave?!

Options
  • 01-11-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Just reading another thread and someone pointed out that the new standards for food preparation facilities in rental properties includes a microwave - really?!

I work for a landlord and our apartments come furnished but without small appliances - kettle, toaster, microwave, coffee machine, food processor, electric juicer or any other food preparation convenience which is fairly cheap and portable.

We don't provide these because they tend to be the things that break most often, get taken when a tenant leaves or new tenants will ask for new ones when they move in anyway.

Microwaves are really gross as well, especially if they're not cleaned often, they smell really really bad.

What do other people think? Am I right in thinking these are not an essential food preparation facility or do I just have a thing against microwaves? I don't have one in my own place btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I have never had a microwave provided in a rental, and am amazed to hear them being considered as standard.

Would agree with OP about cleanliness too - I would prefer to provide my own microwave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
    Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry

8. (1) Notwithstanding Article 4, this Article shall not apply where the house is let by a housing authority under Section 56 of the Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 .

(2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:

(a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,

(b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,

(c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,

(d) Microwave oven,

(e) Sink, with a piped supply of cold water taken direct from the service pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to the building containing the house and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and an adequate draining area,

(f) Suitable and adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage purposes,

(g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and

(h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

(3) All facilities under sub-article (2) shall be maintained in good working order and good repair.

(4) Responsibility for maintenance of facilities under sub-article (2) shall rest with the landlord.

A microwave must be provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

really did not know this. Does this mean a tenant looking for a loop hole out of lease could use this to break lease if a microwave not provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackboots

Further clarification: properties already on the rental market before 2009 (I think) have until 2013 to be compliant with this standard.

So in 2013 yeah a tenant probably could move out because you didn't provide them with a microwave. TBH though if a tenant is going to move out they are going to move out and I don't know of any lease that will hold them.

Also:

Why does a single person living in a "studio" apartment need a 4 ring hob?!! Go to Europe, lots of nice little 1 bed apartments and studios with those neat little 2 ring ones that fit in a tiny kitchenette and leave room for something else, like um I dunno....a microwave :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

cheers for the feedback blackboots but does that mean rental properties on the market after 2009 (properties rented for first time this year for example) must have a microwave oven now? My Cousin has a tenant threatening to break lease after on 3 months and i know there isnt a microwave in apt ...apt was only rented for first time this year?

Yep that's exactly what it means. New rentals (which includes old buildings being rented for the first time) from 2009 must meet these standards, existing rentals have until 2013 to comply.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html#l43eb3

Whether or not your tenant can just jump ship I'm not sure, check out the section in the above link about what a tenant is to do if their home doesn't comply with these standards.

Really though if your tenant wants to move out, you're just going to get a load of hassle until they get their way. You should agree a date with them, ask them to make the place available for viewings, make every effort you can to have a new tenant lined up for as soon after they leave as possible. There might be a gap of a week or two and you might consider making a deduction from their deposit. If they make viewings difficult for you then definitely take it out of their deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the only problem was the lack of a microwave, it would be difficult for a tenant to repudiate the lease without giving the landlord notice and the oppurtunity to provide one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A microwave is 50 perhaps less in lidl etc. but I would probably say in the contract that it can be provided on request, but that tenants in general preferred to supply their own for hygienic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Victor wrote: »
    If the only problem was the lack of a microwave, it would be difficult for a tenant to repudiate the lease without giving the landlord notice and the importunity to provide one.

As Victor says, the tenant must give the landlord "a reasonable time" to rectify the fault/problem before he could even contemplate breaking the lease for the landlord's failure in his obligations. If the tenant has not done this in writing, he would have difficulty in winning a claim with the PRTB for landlord's breach of obligations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement