Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there sale for old copper?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

I see our builder has kept the hot water cylinder and copper piping from our renovation instead of throwing it in the skip. Can you sell this stuff to salvage yards and if so, approx how much is it worth?

Comments

The current price for copper is about $7500 a tonne, so yes it's quite valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks for that. Chances are when I get home this evening it will be gone! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

a cylinder is about 25 euro i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Depends on the size of the cylinder, i think around €35 for average size cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

That copper is yours and yours alone.....Ask for it back andd bring it to a scrap yard yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

mad m wrote: »
    That copper is yours and yours alone.....Ask for it back andd bring it to a scrap yard yourself...

Afraid i cant agree with this. The OP needs to check his agreement with his builder, but i would assume (since he had no idea of the value of copper) that he has asked the builder to remove and dispose of the existing installation. Therefore the copper belongs to the builder, just like any other "rubbish" from the project.

It is possible the builder has mad an allowance in his price for the sale value of the disposed copper - just like you would if it was topsoil or anything else that can be re-sold.

Unless your tender documents specifically state otherwise, the copper and any other material removed through instruction or agreement belongs to the builder and is his responsibility to dispose of same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

standard issue for builder to take copper.most usually throw the money from it towards christmas party or night out. people reckon they clean up with this but at the end of the day it usually only covers a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Calvin001 wrote: »
    Unless your tender documents specifically state otherwise, the copper and any other material removed through instruction or agreement belongs to the builder and is his responsibility to dispose of same...

Ah so with out explicit consent from the owner the builder still some how owns it? I call shanaigans.

That's like saying because the copper was left out the back any one is entitled to come along and take it because the owner didn't say they wanted to keep it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

kayos wrote: »
    Ah so with out explicit consent from the owner the builder still some how owns it? I call shanaigans.

That's like saying because the copper was left out the back any one is entitled to come along and take it because the owner didn't say they wanted to keep it :rolleyes:

No its not actually. I tender construction work regularly and factor any scrap into the price. Most times its very little - but sometimes it can amount to thousands on large projects.

A typical answer kayos - the builder is suddenly doggy when someone realises that there may be value in their rubish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

nager wrote: »
    No its not actually. I tender construction work regularly and factor any scrap into the price. Most times its very little - but sometimes it can amount to thousands on large projects.

A typical answer kayos - the builder is suddenly doggy when someone realises that there may be value in their rubish.

No I am not saying the builder is dodgy I'm saying that Calvin001 saying that unless you explicitly say other wise the Builder has a legal right to the items sounds dodgy. Would love to see where that is in the law books. To me if I have bought and paid for something and someone else just takes it and sells it without my explicit permission it can not be legal. I'm open to being corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No I am not saying the builder is dodgy I'm saying that Calvin001 saying that unless you explicitly say other wise the Builder has a legal right to the items sounds dodgy. Would love to see where that is in the law books. To me if I have bought and paid for something and someone else just takes it and sells it without my explicit permission it can not be legal. I'm open to being corrected.

Unless you asked them to clean up, or remove rubbish. In which case you've given your permission no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

OH FFS, have you nothing better to doing with your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lads, this is the Prices/costs forum for issues relating to........yes, you guessed it, prices and costs.

Lets not get bogged down in matters that have nothing to do with this forum. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the builder priced for demolition work to be carried out. it is his responsiblity to remove everything from site. there is pretty much resale value in everything these days. if there are doors being removed, should he leave them for the owner to re sell? if there is skirting and architraves, should he give it back to the owner? roof slates, recycled timber, etc. the list goes on. either the owner asks for things to be kept, or its the builders responsibility to remove everything off site. what he does with it after is soley his responsibility and it is considered his property.

to try bring some relevence back to the 'prices' forum, the builder could well have allowed no cost of removing the boiler; ie the money he gets from selling it will cover the labour to remove it. so if you ask him for it back, then he could ask for the cost in labour removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 StephanR

Hi, I have about six rolls of copper wire of varying thickness. They are unstripped at the moment. Could anyone advise on the approximate value of this... Is it worth my while stripping off the plastic with a Stanley knife or is the effort of doing this less of a pay-off than the value? :confused:

StephanR wrote: »
    Hi, I have about six rolls of copper wire of varying thickness. They are unstripped at the moment. Could anyone advise on the approximate value of this... Is it worth my while stripping off the plastic with a Stanley knife or is the effort of doing this less of a pay-off than the value? :confused:
    It's the weight that will determine whether it's worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 StephanR

Thanks. I mean, I know that obviously; I was trying to determine if it would be worth my while taking hours peeling away plastic from thin copper wire for the sake of a few bucks... I read in this thread that a copper tank might only be valued at 25 yoyo and they are fairly heavy... I would probably need A LOT of wire to match that weight... These are just standard size rolls of copper cable of varying thickness... I think I have answered my own question in the end really, but thanks for your input all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If they are electrical cable, try asking over here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018 ?

Should be worth more than scrap to an electrician ?

Advertisement