Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato & Jalapeño Relish

Options
  • 01-11-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

hi folks, first time posting here so thanks in advance for any thoughts.

At the end of the summmer I've ended up with 1.2Kg of tomatos (frozen & yet to be de-skinned) and 919g of Jalapeño peppers (red and green just picked so still have seeds etc).

Last year I found a pretty OK recipe for Jalapeño Relish that produced results passably close to the wonderful Ballymaloe product but alas did not keep a copy.

Would any of you good folks happen to have a recipe that might make use of some or all of my produce?

Many thanks.

Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Darina Allen has a great recipe for tomato & chilli jam in the Ballymaloe Cook Book if you know anyone who has a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

cool, I shall begin with a trip to my library this afternoon to see if they have a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

or in this instance google is your friend, about 3/4 the way down the page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

sponge_bob wrote: »

Google was not my friend for 2 days on this one. But enter the word 'Jam' and it starts to come together. Thanks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sponge_bob wrote: »

made darina allen's tomato and chilli jam yesterday, but it never set. it is still very liquidy sitting in the 2 jars in the fridge. i did use a few substitutes as i didn't have the proper ingredients to hand.

tomatoes weren't very ripe
    used powdered ginger as i didn't have fresh ginger
    light soy sauce instead of fish sauce
    light brown sugar instead of golden castor
    and white wine vinegar instead of red wine vinegar

but i don't think any of these substitutes would cause it not to set.
    when making homemade jam i would allways use the juice from a lemon or a lime to act as a setting agent. but she didn't have anything like that in it.
    do ye think it needs it or should it set by itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

You might want to just cook it down a little more in order for the sugar to set it? I know when I make any reduction I tend to test it on a cold plate before taking it off in case it needs a little more time. Although the underripeness of the tomatoes might effect it slightly?

Advertisement