Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First cycle - ouch

• 01-11-2011 2:28pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm just in the door from my first cycle on my new bike. The thing is, I now have a creak in my neck and my ass is killing me. The saddle is about as comfortable as a brick.

Any advice? I presume buying a new saddle is the way to go and not be stingy with the cost as it is for comfort after all. I just don't know how/why I got a creak in my neck.

Here's a link to the cycle, not sure if this will give any more info or not - Map

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

I just got a bike recently , and yeah that sharp pain in your bum after a cycle will go away in a few days if even its just new muscles being used , as for the creak in your neck maybe your bike is sized wrong ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    I just got a bike recently , and yeah that sharp pain in your bum after a cycle will go away in a few days if even its just new muscles being used , as for the creak in your neck maybe your bike is sized wrong ?

Thanks for that, hope it goes away soon :)

I'm 6'0 and the frame is 56cm, I think the saddle is a bit too low. My legs don't fully extended when I peddle... Would that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Thanks for that, hope it goes away soon :)

I'm 6'0 and the frame is 56cm, I think the saddle is a bit too low. My legs don't fully extended when I peddle... Would that be it?

couldnt tell you to be honest , my friend is still trying to explain bike geometry to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

What shorts are you using? You will get used to a very firm saddle in just a few rides if you have the right shorts, i.e. a pair with a properly moulded gel/foam chamois pad that looks something like this:

ATD_Mens_RWB_BikeShort_Chamois.jpg

I'd give the neck issue a while longer before looking to the 'fit' of the bike. This may just be due to using muscles that your are not used to using. Make sure you keep your elbows bent slightly when you ride.

Your legs should never fully extend to straight. There is a really good article on bike-fitting here http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm that someone around here posted recently. Hope this helps and keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

New saddles can be stiff and uncomfortable, they have to be broken in like a new pair of boots. Neck stiffness is not uncommon after a long ride on the bike, especially if you're riding a road bike and you haven't used one before.

But you also should not write these off as "just getting used to it". Bike fit is everything.

Rofo wrote: »
    What shorts are you using? You will get used to a very firm saddle in just a few rides if you have the right shorts, i.e. a pair with a properly moulded gel/foam chamois pad that looks something like this:

ATD_Mens_RWB_BikeShort_Chamois.jpg

I'd give the neck issue a while longer before looking to the 'fit' of the bike. This may just be due to using muscles that your are not used to using. Make sure you keep your elbows bent slightly when you ride.

I don't have any cycling gear, just the bike :o

I was cycling in my gym gear, Under Armour shorts and t-shirt. Every single person I passed on the way was kitted out properly. Should probably get myself down to a bike store to pick up some gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Do you wear glasses perchance? I used to get a creak in my neck because you've to look up at a more awkward angle on a road bike with glasses on.

Shorts for your bottom. They're not just ugly; They have a purpose: Ass protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

@Cereal,

You bought that Giant Defy on the adverts Thread? If you haven't adjusted the saddle, seatpost etc. then your trying to match the previous owner's setup. Looks like his saddle was in line with the tops of the bars which would lead to a very upright position. You could be scrunching up your shoulders trying to fit the bike giving you that pain. Looks like a fairly cheap and basic saddle as well.

You should go and get a proper fit as the others have said.

Khannie wrote: »
    Do you wear glasses perchance? I used to get a creak in my neck because you've to look up at a more awkward angle on a road bike with glasses on.

Shorts for your bottom. They're not just ugly; They have a purpose: Ass protection.

Yea I do have glasses, that thought crossed my mind. I'll have to invest in a pair of shorts so!
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    @Cereal,

You bought that Giant Defy on the adverts Thread? If you haven't adjusted the saddle, seatpost etc. then your trying to match the previous owner's setup. Looks like his saddle was in line with the tops of the bars which would lead to a very upright position. You could be scrunching up your shoulders trying to fit the bike giving you that pain. Looks like a fairly cheap and basic saddle as well.

You should go and get a proper fit as the others have said.

Yea I bought that bike. Where should I go for a proper fit? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm totally new to cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

One of the lads in Stagg Cycles might help you out. They're an old skool kinda shop where personal service is important. Tell them your story and they should sort you out. At this time of year they're a little quiet and early in the week the shop wouldn't be too busy so they might spare some time. If you pick up some bits for your bike, like the shorts, then there should be no charge for the fitting.

Perfect! That's great! Thanks for all the replies lads!

Loving the helpful folk of Boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

The Charge Spoon is a decent saddle and a bonus it's relatively cheap at around €30 delivered:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product.aspx?n=chargespoonsaddle&id=11446

I also get a stiff neck sometimes. What I find is if I'm in the same position for too long it happens, so what I find helps is just moving my head around a bit from time to time to loosen it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

First things first, get yourself a good pair if bibshorts,

I'd suggest either santini gel ones or biemme gel pad ones, the gel pad makes a massive difference

You mentioned buying a new saddle, I'd suggest you don't just yet because unfortunately your arse needs to toughen up to the rigors of cycling

Saddles are funny though, I went through 3 saddles, ranging from €50 to €200 yet the saddle I use now costs about 20 euro and i got it from my mates boardman bike

So to summarise, toughen your arse up and buy gel padded bibshorts

Advertisement