Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindle account - .com / .co.uk

• 01-11-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I have recently bought a Kindle as a Christmas present for the other half .

I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk and had it delivered to my sister in law in N.I.
    When I log into our Amazon account I see that the Kindle is registered in Amazon.com .

This means that all books have to be purchased from the .com site and not the .co.uk site . Is this correct ?

Is there any advantage to changing the Kindle account to a UK address (I can use my sister in law's address in N.I)

Is there a huge difference between the selection from both Amazon sites ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The default .com site that you have isn't quite the same as the .com site that an American Kindle owner would use. Two big things:
    1) It generally costs more (we have to pay for delivery costs..)
    2) The selection is smaller - A number of titles that are available to US customers will not be sold to European customers. The selection has definitely increased a lot from when I first got it but it could be better (I can get most of, but not all, the titles I want)

With the .co.uk site you'll have the full selection of titles available to British customers and probably better pricing in many cases - check out a few for yourself. I'd probably recommend the .co.uk version though to have access to a bigger library.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

ixoy wrote: »
    The default .com site that you have isn't quite the same as the .com site that an American Kindle owner would use. Two big things:
    1) It generally costs more (we have to pay for delivery costs..)
    2) The selection is smaller - A number of titles that are available to US customers will not be sold to European customers. The selection has definitely increased a lot from when I first got it but it could be better (I can get most of, but not all, the titles I want)

With the .co.uk site you'll have the full selection of titles available to British customers and probably better pricing in many cases - check out a few for yourself. I'd probably recommend the .co.uk version though to have access to a bigger library.

Was thinking about this. All you need is a friendly UK address. Nothing need be delivered there as you can deliver to any address in your address book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I just used a friends address in London - use the Kindle management page at Amazon.com, and change your location. Kept my usual credit card info too.

Next time you sync the Kindle it should inform you you have changed to .co.uk and you're away.

I've had zero problems - even ordering physical books delivered to Ireland has not caused any issues. I find the UK selection to be far better than the .com one, and while its generally cheaper, it can be a little bit like swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Thanks for the replies :)

I'll use my Sister in Law's address in N.I , and get it set up in the .co.uk site .

Thanks again .

Advertisement