Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIPS Development

Options
  • 01-11-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I need to debug/develop some code for busybox which will be running on MIPS architecture.

So far SPIM simulator has been used to test assembly code but ideally, I'd want GNU toolchain setup inside busybox to compile C/C++ programs but unsure where to begin.

Would it make sense to compile a MIPS kernel and just run it from QEMU? or much easier to use a development board from MIPS?

How would I compile MIPS 32-bit kernel from x86 system?

Mod, please move to UNIX forum if you think it more suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Ideally you would want to "cross compile" to your target architecture - i.e you develop on your x86, and compile for another architecture.

Compiling natively on a MIPS processor or board (assuming a constrained embedded processor) would be time consuming and difficult to set up.

Heres some stuff to read, also googling for "cross compile mips" etc will give more info

Hopefully all the info you need is here: x86 binaries to cross compile for MIPS
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/MIPS-HOWTO-9.html

You may find more info here:
    Linux port for MIPS
    http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Toolchains

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Busybox and MIPS, are you developing for one of the router Linux distros by any chance?

I worked on a project like this and ended up using a cross-compiler that the distro developers had on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

DaSilva wrote:
    Busybox and MIPS, are you developing for one of the router Linux distros by any chance?

Just learning about MIPS architecture.

I had shell access to router running BusyBox and wanted to try get toolchain installed but didn't work out.

In the end I bought MIPS Linux starter kit. which is fine until I get GNU toolchain on the router.

Advertisement