Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a hoof supplement

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My 14yr old Cloverhill Gelding has recently been having bad feet. He was out for a few weeks in september and when he came in i got him shod and my farrier told me his frogs were rotten, and his bulbs on his front feet were all soft and septic. He recommended iodine twice a day when i was picking them out. I applied it and in a week he was back to normal.

was this caused by the soft ground in the field? or as he is getting to the mature age now will he need a bit more tlc. I have him rugged and out now for the winter, on good ground , but after checking him the other day his bulbs again were getting soft, his frogs are fine, I will still apply the iodine twice a week while he is in the field, just wondering does he need more?

Has anyone used Angel Tar, or know anything about it?
    Will he be ok turned out for the winter ?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 glendalough breeze

Hi, maybe you can try what I did: schuessler salts no 1 and 2.
    I bought a 6ys old gelding with rather bad hooves (cracks, shoes too small), and after 3 months his feet were perfect. Now he is walking without irons. I don´t know if you can get schuessler in Ireland but if you manage give your horse 7 pills three times a day and use a good hoofoil.smile.gifGood luck!

Advertisement