Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia Tuturing

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Not sure if this is in the right place, but ill give it a try.
    I am doing some research and was looking around to see what tutoring / options / programs are available for children with Dyslexia. I would be grateful to hear from any parents who have went through something like this with their child and how they found it.

Thanks in advance for your time
    Regards
    JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

My daughter did a literacy based computer course called TTRS (Touch-type, Read and Spell) which gave her wonderful self esteem and a skill for life - www.ttrs.co.uk is the website you should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

Toe By Toe
    A Highly Structured Multi-Sensory Reading Manual for Teachers and Parents.
    This book aims to meet the needs of people with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia).
    Toe by Toe has been tested on children of all ages and adults from all walks of life.

That's the spiel about the book. My gf and I have been using it for over a year with her daughter, who is 10 now, but her reading and self confidence levels about reading have increased greatly! It's heart warming that the teacher who initially identified it as a possible issue, also noticed the marked improvement in her reading. It is important to build it into a daily routine. It's a program that you can follow at home and help your child yourself. We also included a nightly rountine of her reading for 15 minutes in bed every night before going to sleep. Initially there were a lot of words she needed help with but it's rare now for her to ask at all, that is one of the significant areas we noticed an improvement. Best of luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Dyslexia Assoc of Ireland run workshops all over the country for children with dyslexia. Wordshark, a cd-rom is commonly used in schools.I use Nessy Fingers and bbc-dancemat as typing tutors for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

You will find the dyslexia assoc at www.dyslexia.ie.

They used to have a register of tutors who had done their teaching course. They are very supportive to children of all ages with dyslexia. What age is the child in question?

Toe by Toe is a very structured programme and requires a large degree of committment but the rewards are reputed to be great. Check out the Toe by Toe website. They are giving a 2 hour workshop for parents and teachers in Tallaght on next Monday.

I personally think that maintaining the child's self esteem throughout their school years is most important. Half the battle is keeping them happy and believing in themselves. The Gift of Dyslexia is an interesting read.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What age child?We find children don't take to Toe-By-Toe until about 3rd, it's intensive, but excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

I went to a tutor, I guess you'd call it, since I was 8 to the Leaving Cert in Tralee... At first the centre was just open on a Saturday I think but then expanded over the years.. It was an after school thing. Went for a hour each week. They have a summer camp and run a computer training week inconjunction with the IT aswell. If you have anymore questions about it!

Advertisement