Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do we have "pub size" bottles etc in pubs?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

so in the uk i notice they have the machines for soft drinks (a splash or whatever they call it). they also seem to sell cans of orange, coke, etc on pubs. i didnt see any sign of any pub size bottle of coke etc.

why is it that we have these over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Random wrote: »
    so in the uk i notice they have the machines for soft drinks (a splash or whatever they call it). they also seem to sell cans of orange, coke, etc on pubs. i didnt see any sign of any pub size bottle of coke etc.

Coz Irish people will pay over the odds for a small bottle.
    What pisses me off more is that some pubs buy in Pepsi cheaper but sell it at Coke prices. That stuff is disgusting. You ask for a Coke and they give you Pepsi. Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The Licensed Vintners Association (LVA).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cans in a pub?

Was it a dive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mikemac wrote: »
    Cans in a pub?

Was it a dive?
    You'd be better off with a can than a small bottle. Cans have got to be cheaper for the pub to purchase too? And less rubbish to get rid of at the end of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a Consumer Issue, but I'm kind of stumped where else to put it. I'll leave it here for now, unless someone has other suggestions.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cans in a pub?

Was it a dive?
    maybe this is the issue that we have? what the hell makes a pub a dive just because it sells cans? personally i prefer them because theres more in them, cost less and fill the glass!
    dudara wrote: »
    Not really a Consumer Issue, but I'm kind of stumped where else to put it. I'll leave it here for now, unless someone has other suggestions.

dudara
    i couldnt find a better place myself really.
    smash wrote: »
    You'd be better off with a can than a small bottle. Cans have got to be cheaper for the pub to purchase too? And less rubbish to get rid of at the end of the night!
    its better than buying 3 bottles of "pub size" to fill a pint glass !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dudara

BAM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

dudara

Rip Off Ireland seems appropriate to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't see it as a Food & Drink issue, as it's not related to the underlying Food & Drink.

Rip Off Ireland is a good suggestion.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The Cock Tavern in Swords gives you your soft drinks in cans. I don't know of a single other place that does that. The auld splash coke etc seems to have largely died out or is that coming back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

To screw the Irish consumer by charging more and offering less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Pub size crisps are bigger though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say the reason is that it's hard to buy cheap "pub bottles" whereas cheap cans are everywhere. Makes it's easier for pubs to make sure people are only consuming what's been purchased on their premises.

But if they didn't charge such silly prices for mixers then people wouldn't be tempted to smuggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I'm partial to a bag of nuts after my third pint:D,they have recently jumped from 1 euro to 1.40 in my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well its all down to differant brands and there profit margins, some reps do deals
    say you would get 25 cases of pepsi for the price of 20 ect, same with the lower brand tonic waters, though these brands are far cheaper you will still be charged the same is very under handed all right so next time your out make sure you are getting the real brands and not the crap ones that goes for the top shelf also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I honestly think that soft drink prices are a total and utter rip off in pubs.

They charge upwards of 5 euro for a pint of coke , or if you get a large rock shandy you better be ready with your second mortgage .

Now , my brother used to run a pub in England , they used ( as is common in England ) the soda gun where the concentrate is added to soda water. He reckoned they made more profit on soft drinks than anything else. However what they didn't do is charge for a ' splash ' .

If you look at a price of lets say a gin and tonic , you pay almost 2.5 yoyos for a tonic and 4 yoyos for the gin ..... does not make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

RangeR wrote: »
    Coz Irish people will pay over the odds for a small bottle.
    What pisses me off more is that some pubs buy in Pepsi cheaper but sell it at Coke prices. That stuff is disgusting. You ask for a Coke and they give you Pepsi. Rubbish.

there have been cases in the past where people have sued and won (will try find a link later today) ..... they asked for coke but got pepsi....it was not what they ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

PCPhoto wrote: »
    there have been cases in the past where people have sued and won (will try find a link later today) ..... they asked for coke but got pepsi....it was not what they ordered.

Any chance of those links??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cans in a pub?

Was it a dive?
    My father invited me to a BBQ in his house a few years back, you can imagine how I recoiled in horror when he offered me a can of beer, does he think I'm an animal or something. Needless to say I have spoken to the filthy riff-raff peasant since.

-theres been threads on cans of beer/coke in pubs before, and many people did have oddball irrational comments/ideas about them, which they could not give a decent explanation for. All most could say was it just "seemed wrong" yet they would have no problem seeing one at a dinner party or something.
    . i didnt see any sign of any pub size bottle of coke etc.

They do have small bottles in the UK and they do have splash in loads of bars here too, I have never noticed much difference the odd time I have been in the UK drinking.

Just be sure to ASK the barmen for splash or what is the cheapest coke. Some pubs even have 2L bottles they can pour from. Its like taximen, if I say "to the airport please" they head straight for the M50 from my house, and get and extra €20. Most barmen will be told to go straight for the 200ml bottle if asked, probably more profit. This is another peculiarity about bars, as well as people having "aluminum phobia" the second they go into a bar, they are also scared senseless to ask how much drinks will be BEFORE ordering. The legal pricelists can be hidden away and only have to list a few drinks.

here is a uk site for pubs with small bottles
    http://www.smallbeerwholesale.co.uk/Soft%20Drinks.pdf

and cokes uk pub site
    http://www.cokepubandbar.co.uk/lic_business_range_range.html
    Building on requests from the trade, we have introduced 330ml Glass Bottles for:

'Fanta' Orange
    'Fanta' Lemon
    'Sprite'
    The pack sizes of the 'Schweppes' range has been revised, replacing the 113ml, 180ml, and 250ml mixer servings with 125ml and 200ml glass bottles

You can see cash & carry prices on musgraves here
    http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/special_offers/

in most cases the 24x330ml cans are cheaper than the 24x200ml bottles

Your crazy to be buying spirits in pubs in the first place, I started a thread about it a while back here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411189

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say the reason is that it's hard to buy cheap "pub bottles" whereas cheap cans are everywhere. Makes it's easier for pubs to make sure people are only consuming what's been purchased on their premises.

But if they didn't charge such silly prices for mixers then people wouldn't be tempted to smuggle.

Nah surely they could fill splash into a paper cup or glass and you could get a pint of soft drink for way less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

saa wrote: »
    Nah surely they could fill splash into a paper cup or glass and you could get a pint of soft drink for way less.
    If they still want to get the same profit from the sale it will not drop a whole lot less, as the cost in the first place is not too much.

More prices shown here
    http://www.drinksdirect.ie/Cash%20&%20Carry%20Plof%20-%20Sep%2026th%20-%20Oct%2030th%202011.pdf

seems about 50cent per bottle including vat.

To really show how bad it is, it costs €12.60 for a pint of schewppes lemonade in my local pub, the cost to the pub is about €2.25, so even if they got an alternative product free they would have to charge over €10 per pint if they want to get the same profit out of me!

Advertisement