Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie Q's bike and gear

• 01-11-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Looking into getting a cyclocross bike as I've heard it's the right way to go for what I'm after (Jack of all trades bike, decent on flat 30 mile cycles and can also be taken off road for a bit).

As I'm a newbie I don't want to be spending a fortune so I'm happy to get a bike knowing that an upgrade is inevitable if I stick with it.

My budget is 600pounda Sterling. I've found this http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/36457/Giant_TCX_3_Bike_2011 and had a test ride on it ans found it fine. Now by yesterday ride I mean a five minute go around a supermarket car park. Any opinions on the bike? Am I going down the right route?

Also ill need the peripherals, lights helmets, locks, pump etc. Any recommendations, from the same site if possible would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I fully appreciate the appeal of "one bike to rule them all", but cyclocross bikes are arguably bad at everything except for cyclocross racing.

Do you really need to go off-road? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Lumen wrote: »
    I fully appreciate the appeal of "one bike to rule them all", but cyclocross bikes are arguably bad at everything except for cyclocross racing.

Do you really need to go off-road? Really?

I don't need to... but I'd like to. Also don't fancy having to avoid pot holes and ****ty cycle paths on a road bike so thought it would be the right choice... am I just wasting cash? Could you recommend an alternative in the same price bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

shoutman wrote: »
    Also don't fancy having to avoid pot holes and ****ty cycle paths on a road bike

I would be avoiding all those things if I am on either my cross bike or my road bike.

Raam wrote: »
    shoutman wrote: »
    Also don't fancy having to avoid pot holes and ****ty cycle paths on a road bike

I would be avoiding all those things if I am on either my cross bike or my road bike.

Good point, well made.

I see one of my main cycle routes being a cycle track on a disused railway line between Bristol and bath, so its a case of not wanting a road bike that wont give me the leeway to ride slightly rougher routes.

I should have put this in the op.

All replies are much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is the surface of the track like? I personally don't like the feel of a cross bike on the road. A road bike suits me better, but that's just my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

What about a decent road frame with 25 or 28c tyres. Seems like what you are really looking for. Unless you are really really going off road there are really good tyres wheels that will cope with 'tracks'

bcmf wrote: »
    What about a decent road frame with 25 or 28c tyres. Seems like what you are really looking for. Unless you are really really going off road there are really good tyres wheels that will cope with 'tracks'

Tbh I know next to nothing about bikes. Surface of the track is like a walkway path so not great...

Any links to bikes and equipment would be great

Anymore advice?

Advertisement