Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance - spaying?

• 01-11-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Would anybody know if pet insurance covers getting a dog spayed?

My husbands sister emigrated about 3 months ago and we took her 4 year old dog to live with us.
    She had never been sick or needed to go to the vets, but recently she hasn't been acting herself (a bit depressed and acting a bit strange)and also has tried to break out of the garden. Brought her to the vet and he thinks she's coming into heat and to keep an eye on her and also to make sure not to let male dogs at her.

He said it would be best to spay her, which is fine, my sister in law has no objections (as she's now in the US) but I was just wondering, do any of the pet insurance companies cover spaying as part of their policy? This dog was insured up to about a year ago when sister in law lost her job and it was just one expense she couldn't afford. We would be happy to insure the dog again but would be willing to wait wait a month or two on the spaying if it was covered. I know I should have asked all these questions at the vet but I was just relieved she wasn't sick so I didn't think to ask.

Any info welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nope, dog insurance policies don't cover any routine procedures like vaccinations, microchipping or spay/neuter.

There might be very unusual circumstances in which a spay would be covered, e.g. one required in an emergency, but an elective spay, which is what you're describing? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, I don't think spaying is covered, however some insurance policies are cheaper for a spayed dog, so you might recoup the cost of the operation in savings over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Do you know any OAPs who will say it is their Dog . I think you can get it much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 redser2

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Nope, dog insurance policies don't cover any routine procedures like vaccinations, microchipping or spay/neuter.

There might be very unusual circumstances in which a spay would be covered, e.g. one required in an emergency, but an elective spay, which is what you're describing? No.

No, it's not an emergency - just a routine spay, which the vet said would cost €160.
    I suppose we'll just have to figure out which is more urgent - the spay or the insurance! She's got a microchip, I have a little folder with all the info my SiL gave me. She had been vaccinated before but again due to cash flow she wasn't done this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

WIZE wrote: »
    Do you know any OAPs who will say it is their Dog . I think you can get it much cheaper

Cue frenzied posts about people effectively stealing from the Dog's Trust/Blue Cross by doing this.

A spay isn't *that* expensive in the grand scheme of things. OP, ask your vet about paying in installments if you don't have the cash upfront.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Cue frenzied posts about people effectively stealing from the Dog's Trust/Blue Cross by doing this.

A spay isn't *that* expensive in the grand scheme of things. OP, ask your vet about paying in installments if you don't have the cash upfront.

lol :D

I did it and it worked out . I think I paid 30 euros

I don't think I'd pass as an OAP yet!

In the grand scheme of things I agree, it's not hugely expensive when the consequences are an unwanted litter of pups!

I just thought with the overpopulation of dogs in the country and in the pounds that something like spaying would be covered and positively encouraged. Guess I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

redser2 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd pass as an OAP yet!

In the grand scheme of things I agree, it's not hugely expensive when the consequences are an unwanted litter of pups!

I just thought with the overpopulation of dogs in the country and in the pounds that something like spaying would be covered and positively encouraged. Guess I was wrong.

You mean do insurance companies have conscience?
    What a novel idea! ;)

You mean do insurance companies have conscience?
    What a novel idea! ;)

I'm an idealist! Shoot me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

In fairness I think your in-laws should contribute.

unfortunately my insurance cover did not cover my dog getting spayed.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    In fairness I think your in-laws should contribute.

unfortunately my insurance cover did not cover my dog getting spayed.

I wish! She's still unemployed in the states but her husband works for a large multinational. He was never that into the dog, it was always my SiLs. I would say she has no chance of getting a penny from him to contribute to the dog.:eek:. He's probably delighted he's rid of it.

Relatives eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pet Insurance doesnt cover routine procedures like Spaying.

The other thing to note is, if she is coming into season, you have to wait at least until shes half way through one season and the next, so it will be at least 3 months after her heat before you can get her spayed.

andreac wrote: »
    Pet Insurance doesnt cover routine procedures like Spaying.

The other thing to note is, if she is coming into season, you have to wait at least until shes half way through one season and the next, so it will be at least 3 months after her heat before you can get her spayed.

Thanks for that. At least now if I get her insured the sting of the bill will have worn off by the time the spay is due.:o

Any recommendations on insurance companies? There only seems to be about 4 companies I can find that do pet insurance. I've done quotes on all, Allianz are coming out most expensive, then a couple of others petinsure.ie/petinsurance.ie that seem to have ok cover and then 123.ie that are cheapest by about €30 but have a much lower ceiling on vets bills. €2,500 v €4,000 on the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I insured my dogs with tesco. You need to ring for a quote but worked out much cheaper than allianz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im with Petinsure and ive had no problems. Im in the middle of a big claim for my dog whos had a cruciate ligament operation so my policy will be well used up with this claim as the operation costs over 2000 euro.

Advertisement