Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Kilkenny Shop"-why none in Kilkenny?!

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering why there's no Kilkenny Shop in Kilkenny. I know there's ones in Dublin, Cork and Galway and a few other places. Used to be one on High St I think. You'd imagine there would be seen as KK is it's namesake. To the best of my knowledge the Kilkenny Design Centre is a seperate enterprise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

A second Dunnes not good enough for you?

Seriously, good question. Were the KDC and the Kilkenny shop one business once, maybe they parted ways on the understanding that they wouldn't compete for the same turf.

Kilkenny Beer isn't made in Kilkenny either, odd that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There was in the Market Cross.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

The Kilkenny shop used to be in Market Cross where Monsoon is at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Well done Angels, another case closed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wasn't there one in Ballyhale (Kilkenny Living)?

No idea why anyone happened on there, even at the time it seemed crazy to do so as you could see it wouldn't last....and that was during the boom.

It was a brand and tbh its no different to the Waterford Crystal brand which basically has nothing to do with Waterford anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kilkenny Living was a furniture shop

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

It was originally Blarney Woolen Mills, which was owned by a Cork family who had a falling out and split into two companies, Blarney Woolen Mills and The Kilkenny Shop. We had Blarney Woolen Mills here in KK for a long time until it closed down,.

The Kilkenny Shop seems to have done better, I don't see any Blarney Woolen Mills anywhere anymore, maybe it's still in Cork, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Bootsy. wrote: »
    I don't see any Blarney Woolen Mills anywhere anymore, maybe it's still in Cork, I dunno.

bootsy, there is a huge Blarney Woolen Mills in Blarney, Co. Cork;)

Edit...also ones in bunratty, Galway, Killarney and Tipperary....

Advertisement