Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bombay Pantry Sauce Aroma

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Sorry for unearthing old topic but I am actually trying to get that unbelievable aroma from Bombay Pantry sauces. It's that bit smoky aroma which I found in few of their sauces (Curry, Saag, Jalfrezi), giving a bit of aftertaste. I couldn't find it in any other sauces (Patak, Lidl, Tesco). I checked few mysterious ingredients (fenugreek, coconut, cardamon) while trying to cook my own sauce but it's not working. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

zom wrote: »
    Sorry for unearthing old topic but I am actually trying to get that unbelievable aroma from Bombay Pantry sauces. It's that bit smoky aroma which I found in few of their sauces (Curry, Saag, Jalfrezi), giving a bit of aftertaste. I couldn't find it in any other sauces (Patak, Lidl, Tesco). I checked few mysterious ingredients (fenugreek, coconut, cardamon) while trying to cook my own sauce but it's not working. Any help?

Try toasting some almonds and crushing them into the sauce, I often find a hint of almondy-ness in Indian sauces, especially the milder ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its simply the smell of fresh herbs and spices and cant really be attributed to one in particular. the most prominent one though is dried fenugreek leaves imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Could it be curry leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

the most prominent one though is dried fenugreek leaves imho.

Is that something different than fenugreek seads? Must look for one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

yes the leaves are very different, pungent spicey, earthy and smokey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Their Indian name is 'methi' if you're looking - my curries went up several nothces when I started using them (though not in all recipes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Darkginger wrote: »
    Their Indian name is 'methi' if you're looking - my curries went up several nothces when I started using them (though not in all recipes).

Well - I use fenugreek seeds quite often, but not much as it gives a bitter taste to dish (if overdosed). Never actually used leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

The taste is as different as that between coriander seeds and leaves - give them a go - I get mine in my local health food store, but if you're in Dublin they should be pretty easy to find in any Asian place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I checked few mysterious ingredients (fenugreek, coconut, cardamon)
    did you get those ingredients from the bombay ingredients list? they sell retail foods to the likes of dunnes and I think they list all ingredients on them. They would be listed in order of greatest first.

You can see some recipes on their facebook page too
    http://www.facebook.com/bombaypantry?sk=notes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Try cumin or garam masala powder. It'll be in all their dishes anyhow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement