Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick cat

• 01-11-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

My cat has just vomited up some of her food, she made the strangest miaowing noise and chucked up, I had found a little bit of vomit in the same place earlier today but I was out of the kitchen and didn't know if it was her or one of the dogs.

There was no blood in it thankfully, just looked like digested food, she seems fine and is miaowing madly for more food now but I haven't given her any. I'm thinking starvation for the rest of the night now and give her a little food tomorrow and see how she goes, she hasn't got the squits or anything thank goodness, just a normal poop in the litter tray this morning, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

If she was mine I wouldnt feed her today. Poor little mite. Suppose just keep her warm and TLC and feed her in the morning. Maybe a little LF milk watered down later on tonight.

Hope shes better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

This happens to my cat and it is usually fur balls that causes it. Keep the cat groomed to remove loose fur. You can get a a thing called Defurr-Em that they take to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks guys, I always imagined fur balls were actual balls of fur that they sicked up? This was just food, no fur in it! She's not sick in herself, just mad to get some food but I'm keeping her on nil by mouth for the night now!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kattra

Would also go with the fur balls. My cat sometimes just vomited the hair with some liquid , but sometimes he did a second little heap with food in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Your cat might also be developing a delicate stomach and some foods might upset it.
    Also, your cat might have gobbled down its food too quickly and this can cause it to get sick.
    One of ours has a bit of a delicate stomach and it took us a while to find a food that minimises her puking. We also groom her as much as possible and the combination of these two has really reduced her puking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

No harm to starve her for 24 hrs and then maybe feed a few small meals of chicken and boiled rice all mushhed up, feed thid for first day and slowly introduce her usual food back into it until shes back on her usual food.
    Defurum paste is brilliant for hairballs.

http://http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-supplements-pet-constipation-treatments-c-5_144/defurr-um-plus-70g-paste-natural-cat-laxative-p-240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My cat throws up if she eats too much dry food at once. Literally within a minute of eating it will all come back up looking the same as it went going in. When she was free fed dry food she would do it nearly every day, stopped free feeding and started feeding small meals throughout the day and it has stopped. She will throw up within a few minutes of eating a feed of grass or hay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭budgemook

I've a cat that gets sick from time to time. Not a bother on her really though. I found those stick things, like cat salami or whatever, made her sick every single time so I stopped getting that. Now it's rare enough and is always from dry food so I get her the odd bit of wet food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

She seems to be ok today, I gave her nothing else last night and today small bits of (dry) food and then took the bowl away and then a bit more a couple of hours later, must confess I leave her a bowl of food down for most of the day :o but I'm going to feed her smaller amounts throughout the day from now on. Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

We have a boy who, like Zapperzys cat, would get sick for no apparent reason but it turns out that he has a little reflux problem and it just happens on occasion with no ill effects. We free feed our lot and we thought that might be a contributing factor but changing their feeding patterns didnt alter anything so we went back to free feeding again.

Contrary to common belief, hairballs are not actually little round balls of hair but are usually long vaguely sausage-shaped lumps of hair, food, grass and anything else that happens to be in the digestive system at the time and it can be scary to see a cat hack one up for the first time as they often look like they're backing away from them as they get rid of them.
    The one thing I would be concerned about is the fact that your cat made a strange miaowing noise before she threw up. It might have been an involuntary thing but I'd keep an eye on her - just in case it happens again - and if there's anymore noises, I'd take her to the vets as you'll need to make sure that she's not in any pain and it's just something simple like hairballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

Congratulations on your first hairball. You don't need to adjust her diet, this is perfectly normal behavior for cats.

Hairballs can usually be identified by a damp squishing underfoot as you make a 3am trip to the bathroom.

[I have a long hair cat called 'Furrball', trust me, I'm an expert.]

Advertisement