Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E79 after Jtag - Can boot into Xell

• 01-11-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I jtagged a Jasper at the weekend there and the thing is getting an e79 error on startup after i tried to flash an image generated by bestpig(using full nand dump from xell http).

As i say in the title, it still boots into xell ok.

I did the boxdr wiring method, so i'd be surprised if i messed it up, seemed ok anyways.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Howdy folks,

I jtagged a Jasper at the weekend there and the thing is getting an e79 error on startup after i tried to flash an image generated by bestpig(using full nand dump from xell http).

As i say in the title, it still boots into xell ok.

I did the boxdr wiring method, so i'd be surprised if i messed it up, seemed ok anyways.

Any suggestions?

Try a manual build with fbbuild, & flash with xell? No errors reported by BP or anything no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

my than likely you have bad blocks,
    It happened to me when jtagging a falcon a while back.
    Open the nand up in degraded to find out where the bad blocks are if you have any and your going to have to manually remap them with nand pro.

Either that or you have a hardware problem,
    Flash it back to stock before you do anything else to rule out faulty hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You can try what jimbobjoeyman says and search for bad blocks. There's nothing wrong with your wiring or else the Xell booting wouldn't work but there may well be something wrong with the GPU - Xell runs on the CPU only, but freeBOOT enables the GPU.

I've had two consoles that worked fine with stock firmware, worked fine for Xell but neither of which would boot into XBReboot or freeBOOT. One of them had a GPU transplant done on it by some other guy and I'm told it worked fine after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Now that you guys mention it I did have some bad blocks while doing a manual dump, I wasnt too worried as i got all matching dumps. :o

I still have my cmd window open so here is the output.
    NandPro v2.0b by Tiros

Looking for usb interface device
    FlashConfig:00AA3020
    512MB Nand Detected
    Starting Block:0x000000
    Ending   Block:0x000FFF
    Configured for Large Block Nand
    Reading
    Error: 250 reading block D10
    Error: 250 reading block D18
    Error: 210 reading block D19
    Error: 210 reading block D1A
    Error: 210 reading block D1B
    Error: 210 reading block D1C
    Error: 210 reading block D1D
    Error: 210 reading block D1E
    Error: 210 reading block D1F
    0FFF

The console booted ok before i jtagged it, or it least got a MS splash screen on bootup (the VGA cable in my garage is dodge city so I wasnt very patient :P )

Is there any guides for remapping the bad blocks or is this also contained in the mega thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

• Advertisement

Now that you guys mention it I did have some bad blocks while doing a manual dump, I wasnt too worried as i got all matching dumps. :o

I still have my cmd window open so here is the output.
    NandPro v2.0b by Tiros

Looking for usb interface device
    FlashConfig:00AA3020
    512MB Nand Detected
    Starting Block:0x000000
    Ending   Block:0x000FFF
    Configured for Large Block Nand
    Reading
    Error: 250 reading block D10
    Error: 250 reading block D18
    Error: 210 reading block D19
    Error: 210 reading block D1A
    Error: 210 reading block D1B
    Error: 210 reading block D1C
    Error: 210 reading block D1D
    Error: 210 reading block D1E
    Error: 210 reading block D1F
    0FFF

The console booted ok before i jtagged it, or it least got a MS splash screen on bootup (the VGA cable in my garage is dodge city so I wasnt very patient :P )

Is there any guides for remapping the bad blocks or is this also contained in the mega thread?

It's in the Mega-thread. To be honest those blocks are outside the 0x000->0x1FF range that freeBOOT overwrites, they look to be in actual MemUnit territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ok so im back to trying to sort this today.

A couple of questions, so my nand dump seems to have bad blocks and it does seem to be in valid locations to cause problems:

attachment.php?attachmentid=181847&stc=1&d=1321718713

Also can i flash back to stock using xell (for speed more than anything)?

Flashing back to stock with Xell is possible, yes.

Bad blocks should not be moved to 1FF or 1FE ..bad blocks on 16MB are moved to 3FF and 3FE. 1FF and 1FE is not the bad-block reserved area of the nand

Advertisement