Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underplanting apple trees

Options
  • 01-11-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm about to plant a couple of bareroot apple trees (Elstar and Breaburn) on an allotment and was wondering if there was anything I could underplant them with, or in the space between them. I'm not sure what stock they are on, labels say they are suitable for potting up on patios so maybe M9 or 26. They are about 5 foot in height now. I wouldn't put anything right around the trunks but the allotment is small and I'd like to use the space between and around them. I'm planning on planting them about 6 or 7 feet apart. The site is very sunny with no shade. Ideally it would be some sort of fruit bushes or something edible but open to suggestions. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

not a fan of underplanting apple trees- since they already have enough of a hard time of it without having competition from other plants for nutrients etc....the only thing i plant under apple trees is comfry which i use as a weed suppressant and when in full foliage cut and use as a top dressing around the base...any extra i use as to make up a liquid fertiliser so its not really a waste of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Clover too works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Have you thought of planting them in a row and making espaliers out of them?
    If you prune them and train them along wires, you can them have beds in front and back. I wouldn't atempt if they are not dwarf stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks for the replies. I looked into training them in various ways, like stepovers, but seems the yields would be smaller. Might just make some small raised bed boxes and put in strawberries or rhubarb.

Advertisement