Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

One thing I've seen a few times in this game is that guys are catching kicks while their leg is in transit across the touchline and their team is still getting the line out. It was my understanding that your foot had to be fixed in place "in touch" for your team to win the lineout, otherwise it was to deemed you brought in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Big kick there from Farrell, 17-13 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    One thing I've seen a few times in this game is that guys are catching kicks while their leg is in transit across the touchline and their team is still getting the line out. It was my understanding that your foot had to be fixed in place "in touch" for your team to win the lineout, otherwise it was to deemed you brought in touch.

That actually depends on whether your standing leg is in play. But in the case of Alex Goode it was, so therefore it should've been a Biarritz throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

You're right I think. Just AR's call them as they see them

Idiotic from Smit.

Penalty for Biarritz: 17-16 with 11 to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

If Ulster go out because of bloody predictable Peter Stringer I'll go mad!

Absolutely. Need sarries to cling on here, or Biarritz to win and deny Saracens a losing BP

Alex Goode is a classy player.

Some boot from Baby there.

Farrell penalty. 20-16, minute to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Phew!

Great news for Ulster.

I don't think anyone will fear Saracens in the qfs either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Great news for Ulster.

I don't think anyone will fear Saracens in the qfs either.

Doesn't make much difference tbh they'll still prob have to win in Clermont sadly. It helps I suppose that Biarritz are gone.

Sarries will be dangerous yet, no-one will beat them easily. There will be worse teams than them in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Score?

20-16 to Sarries

Saracens will have a home QF against Cardiff/Edinburgh imo (more probably Cardiff). They should win that.

Toulouse will probably have a home QF against Clermont.

Munster will probably have a home QF against Edinburgh/Cardiff (more probably Edinburgh)

Leinster will then be left with the final qualifier, Ulster/Harlequins depending on whether Ulster get within 5 points against Clermont or failing that get the losing bonus against Clermont or failing that whether Connacht can beat Quins. Quins getting a try bonus point against Connacht would mean a definite Leinster/Quins QF.

All assuming Munster beat Northampton. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(If Ulster somehow manage to beat Clermont and Munster beat Northampton, it'll be the three Irish sides as the top 3 seeds!)

Wouldn't assume this at all. Munster will do very well to beat N'hampton I feel.

This is how I feel it'll go.

1 Leinster v Quins 8
    2 Saracens v Edinburgh 7
    3 Toulouse v Clermont 6
    4 Cardiff v Munster 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

I think it'll be:

Leinster - Ulster
    Sarries - Embra
    Toulouse - Munster
    Clermont - Cardiff

The Ulster vs Clermont game is going to be a cracker I feel. Ulster will have to be at their very best for that. Even if they play like they did against Leicester I can't see Clermont breaking apart like Leicester did. And with this weekends results it's essentially do or die for Ulster, which will give the match a test-edge to it. That's next saturday at 4 or 6 isn't it?

Also, when does the draw for the semi's take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Also, when does the draw for the semi's take place?
    Next weekend I believe, most important 5 minutes of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Next weekend I believe, most important 5 minutes of the season.

Absolutely. I can't believe it's just pot luck, it's so hugely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

.ak wrote: »
    That's next saturday at 4 or 6 isn't it?

Saturday @ 3.40 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Ulster could still win their group, even if they lose the last game.

They might still need a bit of help from Connacht if they finish second.

If Connacht can prevent Harlequins earning a bonus point then Harlequins, even if they win in Galway, will end up with 20 points. This will leave them second in their group, assuming that Toulouse will win away to Gloucester, which is a pretty big assumption actually.

But let's say Toulouse beat Gloucester and that Harlequins win in Galway. How many times have Connacht's opponents earned a try bonus in this competition?

Only once. And that was last weekend in Toulouse. I think Connacht might be doughty enough, playing at home, to restrict Harlequins to less than four tries.

In which case, Ulster have an excellent chance of qualification.

If they score an equal number of tries to Clermont next week AND lose by less than four points, Ulster will win their group.

If they lose by four to seven points, regardless of try difference with respect to Clermont, they will end up on 20 points. If Harlequins beat Connacht without getting a bonus point in Connact, then Ulster will outrank Harlequins in terms of the best two second place teams by virtue of having scored more tries than them (currently 16 as opposed to 11)

So Ulster still have everything to play for. Feck it, they could even win in Clermont but a more likely defeat may not be the end of the world. And wouldn't it be great if Connacht actually won a game in Galway?

Here's dreaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The conn game is Friday night so ulster will likely know if a Bp will suffice. If they done get it then its an agonizing wait till Sunday to see if embra or Cardiff slip up.

durkadurka wrote: »
    The conn game is Friday night so ulster will likely know if a Bp will suffice. If they done get it then its an agonizing wait till Sunday to see if embra or Cardiff slip up.

TBH I see Connacht going for a win, so if they don't manage it they'll be close to Quins. Can't see Quins getting five points.

My money would be on Edinburgh, LI would put up more resistance than Racing will for Cardiff at this stage.

TBH I see Connacht going for a win, so if they don't manage it they'll be close to Quins. Can't see Quins getting five points.

My money would be on Edinburgh, LI would put up more resistance than Racing will for Cardiff at this stage.

As opposed to what, a loss or draw?

Ha, I'm only messing I see where you're coming from its the last game of their HC campaign and they are going all out for a win and to do it for the supporters aswell. They will be in Quins faces all game and they will ensure that they get nothing easy throughout. However Quins will be confident of getting a BP- Toulouse made their tries look very easy at the weekend. I sadly see Quins sneaking the BP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The Sky round-up programme is terrible. One try from the Clermont game. Why would I tune in to see highlights of the games that Sky have already shown in full this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Did my eyes just deceive me or did I just see that Sky are only showing Claremont Ulster game on the red button next saturday and are showing the meaningless Leicester Aironi game as their main game? A joke.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Did my eyes just deceive me or did I just see that Sky are only showing Claremont Ulster game on the red button next saturday and are showing the meaningless Leicester Aironi game as their main game? A joke.

It says the Leciester Aironi game is on their TV listings for next week as well but after the panel themselves said the Clermont Ulster game is the game of the weekend I'd imagine they'll have to change this.

Similar to the way Munster London Irish would have been the main game at its time slot last season but was changed to be on the red button after Munster were knocked out.

I think and hope anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

So, looking at next week and how things are currently stacking up, I predict:

QF1: (1) Leinster vs (8) Harlequins
    QF2: (2) Saracens vs (7) Cardiff
    QF3: (3) Edinburgh vs (6) Clermont
    QF4: (4) Toulouse vs (5) Munster

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Edinburgh 22
    Toulouse 22
    Munster 21
    Clermont 20
    Cardiff 21
    Harlequins 20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

GerM wrote: »

(1) Leinster vs (8) Harlequins
    (2) Saracens vs (7) Cardiff
    (3) Edinburgh vs (6) Clermont
    (4) Toulouse vs (5) Munster

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Edinburgh 22
    Toulouse 22
    Munster 21
    Clermont 20
    Cardiff 21
    Harlequins 20

Would be some game for neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It says the Leciester Aironi game is on their TV listings for next week as well but after the panel themselves said the Clermont Ulster game is the game of the weekend I'd imagine they'll have to change this.

Similar to the way Munster London Irish would have been the main game at its time slot last season but was changed to be on the red button after Munster were knocked out.

I think and hope anyway!

I maybe wrong here and my memory does deceive me at times but I'm almost certain Munster vs London Irish was the main game on Sky last season. I 'seem to remember' seeing it live and was surprised to do so but you may be right.

• Advertisement

I maybe wrong here and my memory does deceive me at times but I'm almost certain Munster vs London Irish was the main game on Sky last season. I 'seem to remember' seeing it live and was surprised to do so but you may be right.

I thought it was on the red button but can't be sure now! I don't remember any half time analysis which for games on the red button they don't do.

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Edinburgh 22
    Toulouse 22
    Munster 21
    Clermont 20
    Cardiff 21
    Harlequins 20

I'd go along with most of that. Leaving aside the Ulster prayers for Quins/Edinburgh/Cardiff to f**k up, I will be hoping for Munster to beat Saints and hopefully drive Toulouse down into fifth position and send them on the road (although it would be against Edinburgh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tox56 wrote: »
    Would be some game for neutrals.

Toulouse - Munster would be pretty mouth watering too.

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Edinburgh 22
    Toulouse 22
    Munster 21
    Clermont 20
    Cardiff 21
    Harlequins 20

I think Ulster will get the bonus point (at least :eek: ) and so that would put out Quins out due to the try difference.

I don't think Munster will get the bonus away to Northampton. As they say "this time it's personal!!"

I do think Toulouse will get the try bonus at Gloucester.

So that makes
    Leinster 25
    Toulouse 23
    Saracens 23
    Edinburgh 22
    Clermont 20
    Munster 20
    Cardiff 21
    Ulster 20

Leinster v Ulster - Leinster
    Toulouse v Cardiff - Toulouse
    Saracens v Munster - :confused::confused:
    Edinburgh v Clermont - Edinburgh :eek:

(Clermont really don't travel well. They've only won 4 out of their last 12 away games over the past four years. They beat Aironi this season, Saracens in the last game of the pool when Saracens were out of both HEC and Amlin last season, Viadana the season before that, and Montauban the season before that!)

In fairness I think I'd fancy clermont in Edinburgh!

durkadurka wrote: »
    In fairness I think I'd fancy clermont in Edinburgh!

You should have a look at their away record in the HEC over the last few years, it's really appalling!

Anyway I think Edinburgh are going to Bradleyise them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Tend to agree with CFH, Clermont are indestructible at home but are very vulnerable on the road. Saracens (who were already out), Aironi and Viadana are the only sides they've beaten on the road in the last few years. They tend to make a game of it more than other French sides but they still bring a different intensity to the away games. Edinburgh are totally concentrating on the HEC and could make things very difficult.

They seem to want this so I'd fancy them to break the pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Basically Munster have to win....

Can't risk going away to Toulouse. Everyone seems to be writing Munster off for that game... but I have faith we can pull something out of the bag. Maybe :p

• Advertisement

Edinburgh's defence is very weak, I would fancy Clermont to run in a few tries against them home or away. Edinburgh are easily the weakest of the potential qualifiers. Fair play to Bradley though, they were a mess last season.

Edinburgh's defence is very weak, I would fancy Clermont to run in a few tries against them home or away. Edinburgh are easily the weakest of the potential qualifiers. Fair play to Bradley though, they were a mess last season.

Yeah, a home quarter final would be a monumental achievement for Edinburgh. A glamour game against the likes of Clermont or even Munster might even attract people to actually turn up to a game in Murrayfield, which would be an even bigger achievement ;)

I don't think we've really discussed how Munster's failure to score tries this year could end up costing them.
    It will be academic if they win in Northampton, but they could very easily end up level with Edinburgh or Clermont on 21 and finish behind both on tries scored. To be five from five and only score nine tries is quite a statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

I remember a huge thread on HC permutations last year (or year before) by Thomond - am I right? Just can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'll go along to Murrayfield next Sunday to give Bradley a bit of support I'd say. They do tend to get better crowds for the HEC games though. Still nowhere near even a quarter full I'd imagine.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'll go along to Murrayfield next Sunday to give Bradley a bit of support I'd say. They do tend to get better crowds for the HEC games though. Still nowhere near even a quarter full I'd imagine.

Surely there's another stadium they can use, to build a better atmosphere? Must be awfully dull running out at Murrayfield when it's empty.

Gallee wrote: »
    I remember a huge thread on HC permutations last year (or year before) by Thomond - am I right? Just can't seem to find it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69681378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Surely there's another stadium they can use, to build a better atmosphere? Must be awfully dull running out at Murrayfield when it's empty.

I'm fairly sure the SRU have insisted on Murrayfield being used. I'd agree tis an awful place when half empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This weeks fixtures

Connacht v Harlequins, Pl6, 20:00
    Gloucester v Toulouse, Pl6, 20:00
    Bath v Glasgow, Pl3, 13:30
    Leinster v Montpellier, Pl3, 13:30
    Clermont Auvergne v Ulster, Pl4, 15:40
    Leicester v Aironi, Pl4, 15:40
    Castres v Scarlets, Pl1, 18:00
    Northampton v Munster, Pl1, 18:00
    Biarritz v Ospreys, Pl5, 13:00
    Treviso v Saracens, Pl5, 13:00
    Cardiff Blues v Racing Metro 92, Pl2, 15:15
    Edinburgh v London Irish, Pl2, 15:15

Tables (only showing teams technically capable of going through tries scored in the ())

Pool 1
    Munster 20 (9)
    Northampton 12 (15)
    Scarlets 11 (10)

Pool 2
    Edinburgh 17 (13)
    Cardiff 17 (6)

Pool 3
    Leinster 20 (15)
    Glasgow 11 (6)

Pool 4
    Ulster 19 (16)
    Clermont 16 (25)
    Leicester 12 (9)

Pool 5
    saracens 18 (11)
    Biarritz 13 (13)
    Ospreys 13 (12)

Pool 6
    Toulouse 18 (13)
    Harlequins 16 (10)

Current top 8

Leinster 20
    Munster 20
    Ulster 19
    Toulose 18
    Saracens 18
    Edinburgh 17
    Cardiff 17
    Clermont 16

Pool 1

Munster (V Nortampton) have already qualified but need to get a win to secure a home quarter final and with Northampton looking for a place in the amlin cup this might not be the easiest. If munster lose with a bonus point and any 4 of Leinster, Toulouse, Saracens, Ulster and Edinburgh( due to more tries scored) win then Munster are away, (Cardiff could also pass them but need a good number of tries). A no bonus point loss will also see Harlequins and Clermont having the ability to pass them

Northampton (V Munster) are mathimatically still in it, If they get a bonus point win they need Edinburgh/cardiff and Clermont to lose without a bonus point, Harlequins to lose, Biarrritz and ospreys to not get bonus point wins and Leicster to not score 7 more tries then they do

Scarlets need a miracle and at least 16 tries

Pool 2

Edinburgh ( V London Irish) and Cardiff ( V racing metro) winner of the group could be looking at home quarter final if Munster don't and Ulster don't get wins so a lot to play for. However if Clermont get a bonus point a Harlequins get a try fest against Connact then the second place team may need a bonus point win to take a best loser spot

Pool 3

Leinster (V montpellier) have already qualified and just need a better result then any other 2 pool toppers to confirm a home quarter.

glasgow need a miracle and at least 20 tries

Pool 4

Ulster ( V Clermount) need a win for a home quarter final spot but maybe also to stay in the comp. Harlequins if they get a bonus point win and Cardiff/Edinburgh could easily slip past them if they lose however with harelquins playing on Friday night they will have the advantage of knowing what they have to do to make it to the quarter finals

Clermont ( V Ulster) if they win against Ulster they are in (probably an away draw) , if the lose chances are they will be out

Leicester in the same boat as Northampton so although mathimatically still there chances are it won't happen but need Ulster to win and clermont to not pick up a bonus point to have any shot

Pool 5

Saracens ( V Treviso) need a bonus point win and for someone else to slip up to get a home quarter and just a point for automatic qualification, however treviso could be a banana skin for them.

Biarritz ( V Ospreys) a bonus point win with Saracens getting nothing could see them top the group, other then that need 2 of Harlequins\Clermont\cardiff to slip up to get through

Ospreys can't win the group (i think) so need 3 of Harlequins\Clermont\cardiff\Biarritz to go through

Pool 6

Toulouse (v Glouster) need a bonus point win to secure a home quarter and a place in the quarters. If they lose and Harlequins win Cardiff and Ulster (if they lose) could pip them for a best runners up spot with a bonus point

Harlequins ( V Connacht) need to target a bonus point win, anything else and they could be out, However Cardiff and Ulster are the only teams that can beat them for a best runners up spot if they do win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Excellent summary, justsomebloke.
    Saved me a load of work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Have'nt posted enough to be able to say thanks so Thank You for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Here's how I see the top 8 teams and there finishing points.

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Toulouse 22
    Cardiff 21
    Clermont 20
    Munster 20
    Edinburgh 21 (runner up)
    Quinns 20 (runner up)

Ulster unfortunately going out by dint of not getting the losing bonus point. Would love to see them get through but it's a big ask. The top 8 like that would see the following Q finals

Leinster v Quinns
    Sarries v Edinburgh
    Toulouse v Munster
    Cardiff v Clermont

As for who'd win those games, too early to tell, still 3 months off and a lot can happen in the meantime!

• Advertisement
Advertisement