Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone know what time the draw takes place tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the draw takes place tomorrow?
    5:25pm tomorrow for the SF draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Such a pity that Ulster didn't win that game - we could possibly looking at 3 Irish teams in the semi's then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Munster v Ulster
    Leinster v Edin
    Sarries v Toulouse
    Cardiff v Clermont

Ulster, Leinster, Sarries and Clermont for semis I feel, although there is 3 very intriguing games there potentially.

Thats a laugh really.

Just like Rob Kerney who claimed top seed in his after match interview, you have a serious case of inferiority, writing Munster off in your own mind wont change the facts.

Munster will give you much more anguish before this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

SARZY wrote: »
    Thats a laugh really.

Just like Rob Kerney who claimed top seed in his after match interview, you have a serious case of inferiority, writing Munster off in your own mind wont change the facts.

I think you are seriously underestimating Ulster if you think its a "laugh" that they could win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

SARZY wrote: »
    Thats a laugh really.

What's wrong am I not allowed to say what I feel, and that is that Ulster will win? You haven't taken exception to any of the other predictions. So basically if you think Ulster will win you are wrong in your mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Lol some Munster fans are obviously back early from the pub.

bleg wrote: »
    Keep writing Munster off. We love it.:)

Have nothing against them I'm just tipping Ulster to win... If Ulster perform like they did last week and today Munster will be under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have nothing against them I'm just tipping Ulster to win... If Ulster perform like they did last week and today Munster will be under pressure.
    and if Munster play like they did today it will be some game that I am really looking forward to.

I'm kinda disappointed that Ulster and Munster are meeting because if they weren't I'd bet on both of them against a lot of teams still in the competition. That said I'm hoping for a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Munster v Ulster should be a cracker of a game. Good luck to both teams, Cmon LEINSTER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Traditionally 1/4 of the quarter finals are won by the away team. I don't see Munster losing at TP. Toulouse are more likely to win away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Did the lads on TG4 just predict a Munster v. Toulouse QF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

shuffol wrote: »
    Did the lads on TG4 just predict a Munster v. Toulouse QF?

Obviously a mistake. Can't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

They put a quarter final lineup caption up on screen, had Munster v. Toulouse and Cardiff v. Edinburgh, cant remember the others, cant beleive that they wouldnt know what the score is with the seedings

Traditionally 1/4 of the quarter finals are won by the away team. I don't see Munster losing at TP. Toulouse are more likely to win away.

Ulster well used to Thomond, I'll put it this way if I were you I'd be hoping for an upset in Edinburgh tomorrow because if Munster get the Scots its an easy path to the semi imo

Ulster well used to Thomond, I'll put it this way if I were you I'd be hoping for an upset in Edinburgh tomorrow because if Munster get the Scots its an easy path to the semi imo

I'd prefer a hard 1/4 final than an easy one. IMO it was the win against Quins that was the making of Leinster in 2009.

By the way, Bookies agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

rabo v hc... two very very different things... munster are a differnt kind of beast.

I'd prefer a hard 1/4 final than an easy one. IMO it was the win against Quins that was the making of Leinster in 2009.

By the way, Bookies agree with me.

You're right so, apologies.

twinytwo wrote: »
    rabo v hc... two very very different things... munster are a differnt kind of beast.

Don't mean to be smart but haven't Ulster been far better in the HC this year than the Rabo aswell?

Look it'll obviously be very close and tbh I've no real preference I'm just hoping for a cracking game really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Don't mean to be smart but haven't Ulster been far better in the HC this year than the Rabo aswell?

Look it'll obviously be very close and tbh I've no real preference I'm just hoping for a cracking game really.

I mean in terms of playing munster in the HC in Thomond compared to playing them there in the Rabo.... completly different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think the ref will play a role. If it's Owens Ulster can forget it. Would have to back Munster regardless.

It would be a tough match (if it transpires) but to write Munster off already is absolutely and utterly ridiculous considering the stubborn form they're in, not to mention the freshness the youngsters have brought to the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    They put a quarter final lineup caption up on screen, had Munster v. Toulouse and Cardiff v. Edinburgh, cant remember the others, cant beleive that they wouldnt know what the score is with the seedings
    They forgot that runner ups are seeded 7th and 8th and just converted points into seedings. A lot of people on different forums tried the same thing but you expect a level of professionalism from a tv station.

They forgot that runner ups are seeded 7th and 8th and just converted points into seedings. A lot of people on different forums tried the same thing but you expect a level of professionalism from a tv station.

Shocking mistake to make on a Heineken Cup highlights programme on tv surely someone in the studio should have realised it, there'll be plenty of red faces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It would be a tough match (if it transpires) but to write Munster off already is absolutely and utterly ridiculous

Agreed, but is anyone? Munster would be significant favourites for that fixture.

GerM wrote: »
    Agreed, but is anyone? Munster would be significant favourites for that fixture.

Yup, we already had one poster confidently state that Ulster will be in the semis.

Yup, we already had one poster confidently state that Ulster will be in the semis.

Haha its a prediction I didn't exactly write them off. Honestly ye'd swear I went for Edinburgh to win it out or something, predicting Ulster to win is hardly that drastic a prediction. Of course, I wouldn't be shocked if Munster won though, I'm just siding with Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think you're taking this a bit seriously. It was his opinion Ulster would win, is that not allowed?

Fair enough. Apologies lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd much prefer Edinburgh to Ulster but you'd have to think Munster would be favourites at home.

I like being pessimistic when it comes to Munster because if people write them off they really do come out all guns blazing. Look at the performance day, most people on here had them down as being lucky to get a losing bonus. They came with a massive intensity and got the backs moving at last.

I think it's a pity people won't be writing them off against Ulster. Still think they'll probably win it, but the performance won't be as good imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would be a tough match (if it transpires) but to write Munster off already is absolutely and utterly ridiculous considering the stubborn form they're in, not to mention the freshness the youngsters have brought to the party.

Saying you think the opposition will win is not writing Munster off. They could view it as a 51/49 game but have to pick a winner. Such is the nature of predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

It's definitely the showpiece QF.

Ulster, who massacred Leicester, came within an inch of upsetting Clermont and finally look like a European force again.

Munster, with tonnes of HEC experience and are unbeaten so far....as well as the home advantage.

I'm going to say right now, Munster. But a lot can happen in the interm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster v Ulster will be a cracking match. It is such a pity that they are meeting in the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Yez are talking about it as if it's a fact. Have you learned nothing from the last few days?

There might be another surprise yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd much prefer to be playing Edinburgh than Ulster, but as top seeds you can't be complaining and no team will look forward to coming to TP in a quarter final, as has been mentioned before, it's a huge difference between a Rabo and a HEC game in TP. The 1 thing though is that the IRFU may consider moving the quarter to the Aviva if they think they'd fill it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to be playing Edinburgh than Ulster, but as top seeds you can't be complaining and no team will look forward to coming to TP in a quarter final, as has been mentioned before, it's a huge difference between a Rabo and a HEC game in TP. The 1 thing though is that the IRFU may consider moving the quarter to the Aviva if they think they'd fill it

It's up to Munster and I'd be amazed if they did.

It'll be in thomond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd favour Munster in Thomond Park, but Ulster in a neutral venue. Can't see it being anywhere other than Thomond Park.

Either way I think it would be the best quarter final. Ulster weren't great in Welford Road though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clareman wrote: »

Up to Munster and from what I remember they annouced a couple of years abck that they'd keep their home QFs to Thomond, hope they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd imagine they'd have to think hard about turning down all that revenue though. They could double what they'd make from Thomond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Oh, the Munster arrogance is back, this should be fun! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'd have to think hard about turning down all that revenue though. They could double what they'd make from Thomond.

I suppose it depends on the opposition. If playing in a neutral venue jeopardises their chance of a semi or final then the potential revenue gained won't come into it.

greendom wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the opposition. If playing in a neutral venue jeopardises their chance of a semi or final then the potential revenue gained won't come into it.

If its Edinburgh it'll surely be played in Thomond, I think the poster was referring to the fact that if its (and most likely it will be) Ulster, that it could potentially fill out the Aviva due to massive Ulster support also. Couldn't see Edinburgh bringing many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Zero chance they'll move the game from Thomond. No point bursting your bollix to get a home draw and then give away your advantage...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Oh, the Munster arrogance is back, this should be fun! ;)

Arrogance thinking that Munster can beat teams at TP? Hardly...

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Zero chance they'll move the game from Thomond. No point bursting your bollix to get a home draw and then give away your advantage...

Especially as Thomond has that special feel to it and the atmosphere that it brings, there's no other place like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Benny Cake wrote: »

Especially as Thomond has that special feel to it and the atmosphere that it brings, there's no other place like it.
    No other place like it in Ireland, maybe.

No other place like it in Ireland, maybe.

What other club team in Europe has an atmosphere like Thomond in fairness?

danthefan wrote: »

It's not just about revenue to the club, they'd be a huge loss of revenue to Limerick as a city. Munster know this and it I think it would be a big part in their decision.

It would almost be akin to the GAA not letting Ireland not use Croke Park when Lansdowne was being redeveloped and Ireland moving their "home" games to the UK.

It's completely different for Leinster who only have to move the game a few hundred meters up the road and the game is still being held in the same city.

What other club team in Europe has an atmosphere like Thomond in fairness?

Did you see Clermont yesterday?

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Oh, the Munster arrogance is back,

Where? We have been saying all through the pool stages that we had won what we won. Yesterday, saw us win 6 from 6 and top seed for the Q/Fs.

I seriously doubt that we'll go 9 from 9 and that's the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement