Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet for Small Animals in Cork City?

• 01-11-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi all,

I own two dwarf hamsters and (I'm not 100% positive but I think) I may need to take them to a vet to get their teeth clipped and their nails trimmed.

As I live on the Lee Road and don't own a car and would of course not like the idea of having to bring my hamsters in two separate boxes on the bus (they can't be kept together due to fighting), is there anyone that could recommend a good vets near me for this purpose?

Or does anyone know a vets that offer a call-out service?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Anyone? Would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

Just to clarify - are you worried that your hamsters nails and claws have grown too long or have you recently got these and been told that this needs doing on a regular basis? If it's the latter hamsters would not normal need this done. Their teeth grow constantly but also wear down constantly if they are on the proper food. If it's the case that they have grown too long they might need clipped by a vet, this I imagine would be extremely stressful for a hamster and if it has to be done I would look at the food you are feeding them. You can also get chew toys, cuttle fish, pumice stone to put in their cage that they will use if needed to wear down their teeth. In the case of nails I'd get some platforms made of various materials that will help with that i.e. wood, a piece of something wrapped in sandpaper.

Of course if they need done, they need done but it can be prevented from happening again.

Do you have any pics?

Hi AJ,

I'm worried that they've gotten too long. I'm pretty sure when they start growing into a half moon shape (their claws that is) that its time to get them trimmed.

I give them extra crunchy food and that seems to have helped one but the other constantly chews on everything. I put treats and chewy things in the cage but it doesnt seem to help.

I'm after ordering them bigger cages as it could be just that the hamster is getting a irritated and wants more space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm afraid I can't help you on the vet front as I'm nowhere near Cork, but it does sound like the claws need a trim. If you have space in the cage try putting in a concrete brick or a flat piece of wood wrapped in sandpaper as a longer term solution. You could also try asking in the Cork forum for info on local vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Try the Abbeyville Vet Hospital on the Togher Rd. They do small animals I think. The no. 14 goes right past the door.

PM me if you need the number.

• Advertisement

Thanks AB, but that wouldn't be an option for me as I've mentioned. I live a 20 min walk from the nearest bus stop which would only take me to town, then would have to get the 14. Too much stress for my little pets, and I can't carry two large boxes that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@ OP there are really small animal carriers you can get which would be easier to carry them if you had to. They wouldn't be stressed by it as long as they have a bit of their bedding and food and something to chew on.

Some vets to call outs but that's pretty expensive.

If the nails are starting to curl around then they deffo need clipping although it's not that common for hammies to need their nails and teeth clipped. The teeth could be stressful and not sure if it's the same with hamsters but with rabbits for instance the teeth should be filed down rather than clipped.

A constant supply of wooden chews should help to keep the teeth worn down, hard tiny pieces of carrot as well. zooplus.ie/uk sell lots of various ones or you could use apple branches if you can get your hands on ones that haven't been treated with chemicals.
    For their feet placing a clean brick in on section of the cage where they have to walk over it to get to their food will help keep the nails trim. But if they are too curled at the mo you'll need to have them clipped so hopefully you can find a vet nearer.

Here's one similar carrier to the one I've used over the years http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/transport_cages/51158 they're lightweight and pretty secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What about a taxi? Tbh I'v never seen a hamster's teeth being clipped but I would imagine unless the vet is really experienced at doing it and they're really quiet hamsters I'd say they'd want to knock them out for doing it so they'd need to be in the vets. As for clipping claws I'v never heard of it needing to be done and they've such tiny feet and claws I would imagine you could very easily hurt them by clipping too much off so sandpaper would probably be the best option.

Best bet is to ring a few vets and ask them if they do it first before sorting out transport to them because a lot of vets haven't a clue when it comes to anything smaller than a rabbit. Anytime I'v brought a hamster to a small animal vet I'v had to practically tell them what's wrong and what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's a good point Zapperzy some vets won't be experienced enough, deffo worth phoning around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PawPaws

Hi
    <snip>
    NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I own two dwarf hamsters and (I'm not 100% positive but I think) I may need to take them to a vet to get their teeth clipped and their nails trimmed.

As I live on the Lee Road and don't own a car and would of course not like the idea of having to bring my hamsters in two separate boxes on the bus (they can't be kept together due to fighting), is there anyone that could recommend a good vets near me for this purpose?

Or does anyone know a vets that offer a call-out service?

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

I started this thread three years ago: the hamsters are long dead.
    Also where your surgery is is no where near the Lee Road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

PawPaws, this is why awaking old threads can be a bad, bad idea.

In any case, I will be PMing you shortly re the rules about self-advertising on this site.
    Thread closed.
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement