Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got a speeding ticket but not sure who was driving..what happens

Options
  • 01-11-2011 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I recently got a fixed charge notice for speeding (59 km in a 50 km zone)- fine is €80 plus 2 penalty points.

Problem is neither me or my passenger can remember who was driving at that time for certain. I have asked for the photo and was told that it is not very clear (it was 11.10 pm). In other words they can't identify the driver. What should I do? Is it possible to get this quashed as they cannot prove beyond doubt who was driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Your car, your responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

its up the the registered owner to say who was in charge of the car at the time.

if the registered owner cant name someone, them they (reg owner) takes the hit.

No chance of it being quashed

beaten to it by winston..

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

AFAIK, the ticket is sent to the registered owner of the car. They are the one automatically liable, unless they have another drive prove by signature that they were the ones driving.

So basically, the Gardai do not need to prove who was driving. The registered owner is automatically the person charged under the fixed penalty unless you prove otherwise.

*AFAIK* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

According to what was said on this forum many times, if you can't say who was driving, or even if you point out person who was driving, but such person doesn't pay the fine, responsibility goes back to you.

Seems to be unbelievable, as that way you might get fined for something you didn't do.
    They assume it was you driving as this was your car, which actually is against general rule of anyone being innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately that seems to be the way it works in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

n900guy wrote: »
    AFAIK, the ticket is sent to the registered owner of the car. They are the one automatically liable, unless they have another drive prove by signature that they were the ones driving.

So basically, the Gardai do not need to prove who was driving. The registered owner is automatically the person charged under the fixed penalty unless you prove otherwise.

*AFAIK* :)
    Yep. It's the registered owner who gets the fine and points. If somebody else was driving there is a section on the notice that the owner fills out with the drivers license details of the person who was driving, that person has to sign it accepting the fine and points.But the registered owner is responsible if nobody else takes the hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

How does it work elsewhere then? Is there a country out there that you can just say 'oh I can't remember who was driving' and so the police just rip up the ticket?

How does it work elsewhere then? Is there a country out there that you can just say 'oh I can't remember who was driving' and so the police just rip up the ticket?

I would ask rather if there is any other country than Ireland, where you can get fines for speeding which you didn't do. I strongly doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

A couple of years ago, I got a letter about speeding in Sheffield in the UK.

I binned it, along with the following letter.

The driver who nominated me never heard any more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

CiniO wrote: »
    I would ask rather if there is any other country than Ireland, where you can get fines for speeding which you didn't do. I strongly doubt it.

If you won't admit to being the driver, it'll go to court, and the court will presume you innocent, and decide on the book of evidence whether you were driving or not, thus finding you guilty/innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

It the same in other places, the UK and Germany for example. The owner of the car gets the fine, its up to them to know who is responsible for their vehicle at the time the incident occured. The vehicle was speeding, the owner is responsible for that vehicle, the owner is responsible for drivers, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

testicle wrote: »
    If you won't admit to being the driver, it'll go to court, and the court will presume you innocent, and decide on the book of evidence whether you were driving or not, thus finding you guilty/innocent.

There is no book of evidence in a speeding case. Also this is one of the few areas of law where the presumption has been passed to the accused. So that means the guards give evidence that a certain car was speeding, they must prove that on the usual criminal standard. Now then the onus passes to you to prove you did not drive the car at that date and time, this was held to be constitutional, because it is knowledge only you would have, and the offenses are minor.

testicle wrote: »

really ?

because the registered owner of a vehicle is responsible for it.

doopa wrote: »
    It the same in other places, the UK and Germany for example. The owner of the car gets the fine, its up to them to know who is responsible for their vehicle at the time the incident occured. The vehicle was speeding, the owner is responsible for that vehicle, the owner is responsible for drivers, etc etc.

Of course it's up to owner to know who was driving.
    But in case owner doesn't know, and claims it was not him, then they can't fine him for speeding, unless they prove it was him (f.e. picture of drivers from speed camera).
    I'm sure owner then can be penalised for not disclosing the driver, but not for speeding.

And that's the way it works in UK or Germany.

Imagine a hypothetical situation in Ireland.

Your brother who lives in UK comes here to visit you. You lend him your car for a day.
    Week later you get a speeding fine. You know it was not you but your brother, so you send a statement to the Gardai that it was your brother driving at the time, and disclose them his address.

They send a fine to him, but he bin's it.
    Then they come back to you and fine you for speeding, which you never committed.
    If situation repeats few times, you might loose your licence by exceeding point. Your insurance will go up drastically. Even you yourself never ever broke any rule of the road.

That's madness.

pa990 wrote: »
    really ?

because the registered owner of a vehicle is responsible for it.

Responsible for vehicle, but not responsible for offences other people commit while driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

this was held to be constitutional,
    When? I must have missed that one.

Of course it's up to owner to know who was driving.
    But in case owner doesn't know, and claims it was not him, then they can't fine him for speeding, unless they prove it was him (f.e. picture of drivers from speed camera).
    I'm sure owner then can be penalised for not disclosing the driver, but not for speeding.

And that's the way it works in UK or Germany.

Imagine a hypothetical situation in Ireland.

Your brother who lives in UK comes here to visit you. You lend him your car for a day.
    Week later you get a speeding fine. You know it was not you but your brother, so you send a statement to the Gardai that it was your brother driving at the time, and disclose them his address.

They send a fine to him, but he bin's it.
    Then they come back to you and fine you for speeding, which you never committed.
    If situation repeats few times, you might loose your licence by exceeding point. Your insurance will go up drastically. Even you yourself never ever broke any rule of the road.

That's madness.
    Why would keep letting your Stupid brother borrow your car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

This is a prime example of bad Law. The owner of the car is deemed guilty and has to prove his/her innocence. It's a joke. The authorities should have to identify the alleged law breaker, and should not be able to cop out by just sending a letter.

Gophur wrote: »
    This is a prime example of bad Law. The owner of the car is deemed guilty and has to prove his/her innocence. It's a joke. The authorities should have to identify the alleged law breaker, and should not be able to cop out by just sending a letter.

going OT here, but..

what if a car was involved in a fatal accident, (no witness's) and the driver ran off.
    The reg owner says "i cant remember who was driving"
    does that mean that nothing further should happen.. NO it doesnt

anyway.. back on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

doopa wrote: »

Sorry but I have first hand experience of this one.

I was named by the owner of a car caught speeding in the UK. He named me as the driver.

I binned both letters which arrived in Dublin asking me to confirm this.

NOTHING happened after that.

p.s I have never been in sheffield.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Why would keep letting your Stupid brother borrow your car!

I can ask the same - why not?

Assume it's not between brothers, but between boss and employee.
    Boss owns the car, and has someone who drives for him. Why would a boss have to pay all the fines and take the points, if his employee commits offences.

• Advertisement

going OT here, but..

what if a car was involved in a fatal accident, (no witness's) and the driver ran off.
    The reg owner says "i cant remember who was driving"
    does that mean that nothing further should happen.. NO it doesnt

anyway.. back on topic

Please tell me you are joking.

Assume car owner and few other people were drinking. No one remembers anything.
    Someone took the car, and caused fatal accident.
    No witnesses, as you said.

Are you really trying to say, that it's the car owner who should be prosecuted for killing someone, even if no one really knows who's done it?

If that's how it works in this country, I'm emigrating tomorrow.

Please tell me you are joking.

Assume car owner and few other people were drinking. No one remembers anything.
    Someone took the car, and caused fatal accident.
    No witnesses, as you said.

Are you really trying to say, that it's the car owner who should be prosecuted for killing someone, even if no one really knows who's done it?

If that's how it works in this country, I'm emigrating tomorrow.

http://www.aerlingus.com/home/index.jsp

Sorry but I have first hand experience of this one.

I was named by the owner of a car caught speeding in the UK. He named me as the driver.

I binned both letters which arrived in Dublin asking me to confirm this.

NOTHING happened after that.

p.s I have never been in sheffield.
    Yes nothing happened to you and you were not the owner.Did you know the owner? , did he still get the fine and points?

They've got only 20kg luggage limit.
    I won't fit all my stuff.

Yes nothing happened to you and you were not the owner.Did you know the owner? , did he still get the fine and points?

Thinking logically how could the owner get fine and points for speeding, considering he wasn't speeding?

Thinking logically how could the owner get fine and points for speeding, considering he wasn't speeding?
    We don't know this all we know from Superscouse is that he was named by an owner in the UK.

I can ask the same - why not?

Assume it's not between brothers, but between boss and employee.
    Boss owns the car, and has someone who drives for him. Why would a boss have to pay all the fines and take the points, if his employee commits offences.

The boss make sure anybody who drives for him knows they are responsable for any fines/ points.
    Lending a car or van to somebody is not like lending a garden rake to a neighbor.There are lots and lots of laws just dealing with Motor vechicles. Not any that I know of dealing garden rakes.

The boss make sure anybody who drives for him knows they are responsable for any fines/ points.
    How can he make sure?
    Assume employee starts driving, and commits 6 speeding offences during few weeks.
    Then quits his job.
    Boss receives all six fines in the post then, and nominates his employee.
    Employee denies it was him, and doesn't accept the fines.
    According to what was said here, then the boss who is the vehicle owner receives all 6 fines and 12 penalty points, meaning he get a driving ban for 6 years, even he never committed any offence.
    Lending a car or van to somebody is not like lending a garden rake to a neighbor.There are lots and lots of laws just dealing with Motor vechicles. Not any that I know of dealing garden rakes.

What law would there be dealing with lending motor vehicles.
    All laws I know is that owner must make sure that vehicle is taxed, tested, and person who he is lending a car is insured to drive it.
    Owner can't take responsibility for traffic offences or crimes commited by person driving his car.

He already answered your question earlier.
    A couple of years ago, I got a letter about speeding in Sheffield in the UK.

I binned it, along with the following letter.

The driver who nominated me never heard any more rolleyes.gif

I would be strongly surprices if owner got fined for speeding in UK after nominating someone else, unless they could prove it was him driving and speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

i-didnt-do-it-bart-simpson.jpg

Advertisement