Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's emobile like?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I am with 3 at the moment and am due for an upgrade. I was thinking about switching to emobile(good plans plus free iphone 4s) but i'm not sure what there coverage or there service is like.

3 's 3g coverage is blotchy at best is emobiles the same(im in d15 if thats any help.Also there is no way id go to O2 because of there crap data allowance.

Any advice would be greatly appricated as my head is melted with 3 and there quality customer service and crap 3g coverage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Emobile = Meteor, so if you know what Meteor coverage is like out and about where you'd be using your phone, then Emobile will be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Meteor, but Purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

E mobile have the worst coverage and customer service I have ever come across. I have experienced constant call dropping and loss of coverage all over the Dublin area. If I was in the position of signing up with a network I would pay the little bit extra and go with O2 or Vodafone, puely on coverage and service. Really mate, sh1t is the only word worthy of using to describe emobile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 yvonne1979

Different customer service tho. I left Meteor for eMobile and really regret it. The emobile service is fine but God help you if you have to contact customer service. It is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 yvonne1979

Avoid eMobile if you can. Pay a little extra for better service. You will not regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Cheap and nasty. Since I switched to them, they have been a nightmare to deal with wrt any kind of custoemr service issue, and have no effective complaints mechanism. Once my contract with them is up, I will be selling the handset they supplied me with, switching to another operator, and switching my landline from Eircom, as they own emobile.

Best to avoid altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Thanks for the replies folks.They have made me think twice about emobile as I don't want the same crap service like I have with 3.

I think Vodafone might be getting a new customer as they seem to be the best out a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You should try Tesco. They piggyback on the O2 network. Their plans are by far the best around moneywise. And any contact I've had with their CS has only been positive. Was amazed myself to get friendly voices at the other end. And I've been with them all except emobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

yvonne1979 wrote: »
    Different customer service tho.[/.QUOTE]

Nope, same.people, same call centre, calls are just answered quicker because their prioritised over meteor ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

So is there any truth in what the guy in eMobile told me?

He said that all their coverage was 3g and that they have 99.2% coverage. I was with Vodafone. The only issue I had with them was that they have little or no 3g coverage in my area. The 2 g coverage was 100% but thats no good for data. I am now wit 3 on a sim only contract but their 3g coverage is blotchy. Its good in my area but not good enough when I travel. The guy in eMobile told me that they havent invested in 2g coverage since entering the mobile market and that they have concentrated on 3g infrastructure.

Im really confused now, I have a sim ordered from eMobile to just try out their coverage. I suppose I will just have to wait til I get that and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

eMobile don't invest in masts, Meteor do. What he meant was, Meteor are only interested in upgrading their network, and as such, won't be installing just 2G equipment anywhere. They'll be installing 3G stuff instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

eMobile don't invest in masts, Meteor do.

No: Eircom, the parent and operator of both the Meteor and eMobile brands does, and they've lots of sites they can use.

eMobile have 99.2% population coverage for voice (2G). 3G data coverage is quite a bit smaller, and is only really available in towns and cities and along major roads.

As an aside, I've noticed that a lot of the complaints about networks seem to be in connection with iPhone promotions - is it that people are disappointed with what the iPhone actually is, or that they thought they were getting something for nothing?

There's no such thing as a "free" iPhone. You're paying a higher contract price, and locked in over 24 months, and iPhone is probably not the best choice of device on a network (3 or Meteor/eMobile) that has areas of "marginal" coverage.

Anyway, I've been with eMobile for 13 months now, with no issues -maybe I'm lucky to not live in a blackspot. My only conversation with customer service was when I needed a repair done on my phone (I'd dropped it and damaged the end cap), and they just referred me directly to their repair agent, saying that it would probably save me a day on what would only be a 1-day job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

I don't understand why people are willing to pay more for what they reckon is 'better customer service' when it's just a mobile phone company.

True, you want better customer service with companies you deal with regularly - banks and so on. However, in reality, how often do you be speaking with the customer service of your mobile company - maybe once or twice a year tops.

I think I'd personally put up with the slightly poorer customer service (allegedly) of eMobile compared to Meteor if my contract is €5+ cheaper per month.

For €60 per year, I don't mind spending an extra half hour on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've been with emobile for almost a year now - moved to them from Vodafone. I've been pretty happy so far, don't think I've had a dropped call yet. Customer service via twitter is great for simple queries. Their menu system for getting to talk to someone on the phone can be a bit awkward.

Had to call them with a bill enquiry the other day and it took me a while to get to talk to someone. The guy I was talking to was a bit unreceptive and we eventually left it that someone would call me back. I was rolling my eyes at the end of the call thinking "oh, here we go, this is going to turn into 6 weeks of me chasing them around with fruitless phone calls". I was pleasantly surprised when someone else rang me back within 15 minutes, and everything got sorted on the spot.

I don't stare at my internet coverage constantly, but I don't think they have 99% 3g coverage. Mine bops between 3G, H and E at various times, but I've never found myself completely without some kind of internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

What is "H" and "E" coverage??

SO the guy on eMobile who told me that they did only 3g and not 2g coverage wasnt telling the truthh??

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

iPhones and Androids use these the "H" symbol to show you the connection is using 3G HSDPA (High Speed Download Packet Access); on Nokias, this is shown as "3.5G". In descending order of speed (i.e., fastest first), the indicators are:

"H" or "3.5G" = HSDPA , high-speed 3G data (around 2Mbit/sec and above)
    "3G" = regular 3G data (around 300kbit/sec normally)
    "E" = EDGE , improved-speed 2G data (claimed to be up to 384kbit/sec, usually more like 100, not widely deployed in Ireland)
    "G", or no indicator = GPRS, basic 2G data (around 48kbit/sec) - used by SMS, MMS.

... are you sure it wasn't Three you were talking to? All the other operators provide 2G+3G services, whereas Three are 3G-only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having been on Meteor and now eMobile I can tell you the customer care and back-office teams are one and the same. The calls go to the same call centres in Dublin and Waterford, the agents just access 2 different systems.

I had serious ongoing issues with Meteor and their billing operations and having worked through various team leads and managers over the lifetime of the last contract, I now deal directly with 2 of their senior managers for any and all issues I have and after long discussions agreed to stay within the group on eMobile (which is basically Meteor - cheaper and with more value on the top-end package I have)

For obvious reasons I can't post these up here but I have mentioned to them the number of issues that have been reported on Boards and suggested they look into a dedicated forum here (as Vodafone and O2 have done).
    They do however have an eircom forum on Boards here with an eMobile rep on board so maybe try posting the issues there?

Not affiliated in any way with any of them other than as a customer, but hope this helps...

Advertisement