Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 course?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

If a person does a level 7 course, can they do a one year add-on to make it a level 8 course, and then a masters?

I am thinking about doing that for engineering, because I don't think I would be would be able to jump straight into a level 8 course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ng1

Yes.

Nearly all of the level 7 degrees have the option to add on another year of study to gain a level 8 degree.

Progression from a level 7 bachelor degree to an add-on level 8 honours degree normally requires a 50% average in the bachelor degree award year.

Many of our three-year bachelor degree programmes also have an "exit option" after two years. Students who successfully complete two years of these programmes and who do not wish to progress to the third year will receive a Higher Certificate award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

If a person does a level 7 course, can they do a one year add-on to make it a level 8 course, and then a masters?

I doubt you can do a level 7 then do a 1 year add on to get a level 8. whats the point of getting higher marks to get a lvl 8 degree if you can just do less work and get a level 7 then get a level 8 after an extra year :P

Normally (afaik) its a 2 year add on.

So: level 8 = 4 years
    level 7 + level 8 = 3 + 2 years (5 years in total)

That's how it works for mechanical engineering in CIT anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

not quite right the der,
    CIT offers a few 1 year add ons.
    Advanced manufacturing technology and process plant technology are popular one year add ons for MECH, BIO, Marine and a few other level 7 Cit courses. EAMTE lvl8 and EPPTE lvl8.

I think the sustainable energy degree is a one year add on too, but I might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

mawk wrote: »
    not quite right the der,
    CIT offers a few 1 year add ons.
    Advanced manufacturing technology and process plant technology are popular one year add ons for MECH, BIO, Marine and a few other level 7 Cit courses. EAMTE lvl8 and EPPTE lvl8.

I think the sustainable energy degree is a one year add on too, but I might be wrong.

Sustainable energy is 2 years.

Any of the options available to level 7 mechanical engineers (by day, full time) are 2 years as of this college year. That's what we were told :)

Advertisement