Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Made Simple - Dan John

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok so I have decided to do Dan John's mass made simple program. I have read his book a few times and discussed it with him via email so I reckon I know what's involved.

For the past four weeks I have been leaning out as per his recommendation. So as of Saturday I was 74kg which is about 6kg lighter than I would normally weigh.

So day one was really the initiation day and sussing out the weights et cetera. So here it was

5 x 5 @ 80kg Bench. This is a comfortable weight for me and will be used going forward.

Bat Wings 2 x 10 secs at 12.5kg (Easy enough)

Walk up on the One arm Shoulder Press and settled on 17.5 kg Dumbbells

Bird Dogs - just for technique

Complexes - 1st set just bar x 3 for each

Barbell Row
    Clean
    Front squat
    Military press
    Back squat
    Good morning

2nd and 3rd Set 30kg

High-repetition Back Squats

30 reps at 40kg.

All in all an easy program I felt I could have gone heavier on the back squats and bat wings but I am following the book to the letter.

Anyway will try to blog all my sesssions, diet and weight.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Best of luck with this. Do you have a log over on Dan's Q&A site as well? You looking forward to doing 50 rep squats at 90kg? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SPH

No log on Dan's thread but I may put a link up there.

Not looking forward to that at all to be honest. Sure we will see how it goes. The food intake is tough

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

hmm looks interesting, what's the food intake like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

I'll be following this one too. Best of luck dude

Food intake is a lot. Especially after 4 weeks of leaning out. I will blog that too on a daily basis.

So far today I have had...

Porridge - Breakfast
    Lasagne - Lunch
    Roast Chicken and potatoes - Dinner

Snacks
    4 bananas
    3 Sausages
    2 Chorizo and Cheese Granary bread sandwiches
    6 cups of coffee
    2 litres of water.

• Advertisement

Today is a "recharge day" training wise. As Dan says "It doesn’t have to be hard or long or organized. Just move around for 10 to 20 minutes. Yes, it is that simple."

So.....Did normal mobility and stability warm up.

A number of very light squats, some good mornings, lat pull downs, ticep push downs.

All light weights for reps to loosen out. Easy enough session no panic.

cheers, what height are you by the way?
    and what method did you use for leaning out?

sorry for all the questions, just interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

SPH wrote: »
    No log on Dan's thread but I may put a link up there.

If you keep a log on the MMS section over on his Q&A section you will get some feedback from Dan. There are also alot of other posters there who have done the program who will give you feedback.

Not looking forward to that at all to be honest. Sure we will see how it goes. The food intake is tough

His peanut butter & Jelly sandwich idea is a suprisingly easy & tasty way to get the calories in! I completed the program last March. Could only make it to 30 reps before having to the rack the bar. The high rep back squats are made even tougher coming after the complexes.

gavtron wrote: »
    cheers, what height are you by the way?
    and what method did you use for leaning out?

sorry for all the questions, just interested!

No problem ask away If I can answer I will.

I am 6 feet tall. Leaning out was extremely low carb with no alcohol for the month. Well a couple of glasses of wine. Plenty of conditioning work. I weighed in exactly 74kg on Saturday last. I will post my weight every few days.

cheers for that. I'm the same height as you so, although about 85kg at the minute. I'll be following your progress to see what your gains are like, might try it after xmas myself.
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Ok weighed in at 77kg this morning. Thats 3 kg up from Saturday but a lot of it was water weight and glycogen as I was very low carb at the end.
    In fact I didnt test be was probably in ketosis before I completed the lean out phase. So my gains should be more steady going forward.

Training today was as follows:

Normal mobility and stability warmup. Some swings, goblet squats, scap push ups, hamstring walks etc.

Bench Press 2 x warm up at 50 Kg

2-3-5 @ 80kg -I took 10 seconds rest between 2 and 3 and then 20 seconds rest between 3 and 5. 1 minute rest between sets for 2 sets.

Bat Wings 10 x 5 secs at 15kg (with 20 second recovery)

Shoulder Press 2 x warm up then 2-3-5 @ 15kg -shake out rest between 2 and 3 and same between 3 and 5. 1 minute rest between sets for 2 sets.

Bird Dogs - Couple of sets of 10 just for technique

Complexes - 1st set @ 30k x 3 for each

Barbell Row
    Clean
    Front squat
    Military press
    Back squat
    Good morning

2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th Set 35kg

Lower back got really tight Particularly on the Good Mornings.

4. Felt lower back again on the High-repetition back squats but got through them.

30 reps at 40kg x 2

A lot tougher. Found the lower back very tight so I can really see the rationale for the rest and recovery days!

Paul

Diet today Thursday 3rd Novermber

Porridge
    3 Chicken and Chorizo Sandwiches on Granary Bread
    6 bananas
    Cup of Soup
    8 cups of coffee
    6 meatballs and potatoes
    6 sausages

All

I am moving this blog over to Dave Drapers Site to the MMS Q&A Section.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?fid/91/tid/28192/pid/711509/post/last/#LAST

SPH

Advertisement