Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do UPC throttle file hosts? [Filesonic]

• 01-11-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm on UPC and just started using Filesonic again and it's woefully slow.. Absolute max I can get is 200 KB/s never one over.

Speed test is giving ~21 mb/s and ~2 upload. I'm thinking they're throttling filesonic.

Can anybody else confirm this and are there any ways around it?

I am going to be renting a VPS soon that has 1TB usage.. could I proxy my filesonic downloads through this for better speeds, anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Comments

The UPC rep on here has said recently that they do not throttle any traffic. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but I believed it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'll have to investigate it a little more before I comment on that..

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seanleavy

UPC definatly throttle megaupload. Filesonic, I'm not sure. It was ok 2 months ago, but I have not used it since then.

With megaupload, it can be throttled down to about 40 kbps. Turn a VPN like hotspot shield and it goes back up to 2mb.

UPC say they do not throttle MU , but something strange is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have a filesonic premium account. i dont have any issues with speed with upc. i average about 3-5MB/s on the 50Mbit upc package.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seanleavy

Yeah I've never had any problems with filesonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

And just to add I have no issues with Megaupload as well. Most of the times works really well. Although once in a while I do see some degrade which is very infrequent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Fileserve used to be very consistent but lately it's been throttled to around 30KB/s. And I bought 6 months a few weeks ago. Waste of money now.

Oh and I know fileserve is throttled because the same file downloads faster over 3g, in work and on a different ISP.

Thanks guys..

Looks like Filesonic isn't being throttled.. i've been watching it closely for a while and it reaches over 1MB/S sometimes..

I'm happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,621 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I had to stop using fileserve as it was woefully slow, varying between 25 and 40 kbs. As has been mentioned before, my parents' 2mb eircom broadband is remarkably faster for fileserve than my 30mb upc.

If fileserve isnt being throttled, then i dont know whats real

• Registered Users Posts: 31 auzworld

I'm going to switch from ntl as my fileserve, filesonic links have slowed down.... so time to go... any suggestions... magnet maybe?? is there really any 1:1's out there ?? .....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

auzworld wrote: »
    I'm going to switch from ntl as my fileserve, filesonic links have slowed down.... so time to go... any suggestions... magnet maybe?? is there really any 1:1's out there ?? .....

You'd be better off buying a Rapidshare premium ac, UPC have said they don't throttle, I believe them, although they have serious routing issues with some of the file hosts, megaupload especially. I don't think theres any better ISP in the country than UPC, unless your lucky enough to be able to get Magnet/Eircom ftth or something similar

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

They definitely throttle megaupload/megavideo. I download the boxing for the week every Sunday. This is my first week on UPC.
    Normally with Eircom 12mb it takes me 30-40 mins to download a fight, tried to download from UPC, it was estimating 2 days. Megavideo buffers every few seconds and is unusable.

Poor form, whats the point in having a 20mb line if my largest downloads are throttled to stupid levels

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

colly10 wrote: »
    They definitely throttle megaupload/megavideo. I download the boxing for the week every Sunday. This is my first week on UPC.
    Normally with Eircom 12mb it takes me 30-40 mins to download a fight, tried to download from UPC, it was estimating 2 days. Megavideo buffers every few seconds and is unusable.

Poor form, whats the point in having a 20mb line if my largest downloads are throttled to stupid levels

Megaupload and co are unusable on UPC, although it seems to be a routing issue and not throttling, if it was throttling well then why do other Filehosts work ie Rapidshare :S. If you really want to use these sites a VPN works quite well I find, I use hotspot shield and expat shield, they are loaded with crapware so I always run them on a virtual machine, but for megaupload downloads they can be fast enough, around 1meg/sec. Plus everytime you disconnect/reconnect the expatshield it gives you a new IP ;)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

yoyo wrote: »
    Megaupload and co are unusable on UPC, although it seems to be a routing issue and not throttling, if it was throttling well then why do other Filehosts work ie Rapidshare :S. If you really want to use these sites a VPN works quite well I find, I use hotspot shield and expat shield, they are loaded with crapware so I always run them on a virtual machine, but for megaupload downloads they can be fast enough, around 1meg/sec. Plus everytime you disconnect/reconnect the expatshield it gives you a new IP ;)

Nick

Because of location. Rapidshare is based in Germany, Fileserve, Megaupload etc are based in Asia, generally Hong Kong. If it was a routing issue, then there would be no traffic or the latency on the traffic would be unreal due to needless travel.

The issue is a single tcp/ip or udp connection is throttled to 40kbps during peak, sometimes up to 100kbps outside of peak hours. While UPC themselves are not directly throttling the traffic(allegedly), their traffic to Asia is being throttled and they should investigate and rectify this problem with their traffic carriers.

Although, this Saturday I got full unrestricted bandwidth for the day. Back to normal now. Filesonic themselves don't seem to be affected by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

UPC definetly throttle megaupload had to stop getting a premium memebership for that very reason. And now filesonic. FU UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

This is getting out of hand. UPC need to look into their routing through asia.

Now moddb is loading slow/sometimes not loading at all. It's hosted in Australia. Works fine through a proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

hovering around 200-400KB/s on MU while i'm getting speeds of >2MB/s on RS. MU speeds are a bit slow for me given that on the college wireless, i can get similar speeds to RS. using jDownloader to measure these btw

I think this is just a contention issue for me.

I get unrestricted speeds at off-peak, but during popular hours the speed goes way down, it's pretty predictable so I guess UPC may have something to do with it.

That, I don't really have an issue with it. Fair usage and all that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Honestly, I've never had any of these issues with UPC. Torrents, Rapidshare, megaupload etc all seem to be working great for me. Granted, I use filesharing hosts less and less these days, due to using a decent FTP to transfer stuff, but I never noticed any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

roast wrote: »
    Honestly, I've never had any of these issues with UPC. Torrents, Rapidshare, megaupload etc all seem to be working great for me. Granted, I use filesharing hosts less and less these days, due to using a decent FTP to transfer stuff, but I never noticed any issues.

Does your router differ in any way from standard set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

colly10 wrote: »
    Does your router differ in any way from standard set up

Currently, yes. Thomson TWG870UIR -> Samknows TL1043ND ->TP-Link TL1043ND router.

But, In the past, I've connected direct to the Thomson. As well as an EPC2425 on a 20mb and 30mb package. As well as a SA 2203. never had any reoccuring issues.

Advertisement