Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Surprised it's not been posted yet but a group of protesters started camping by the Clock Tower today on the Quay.

I took some pictures today and will probably do again tomorrow. You can check them out here: http://daz0rz.wordpress.com/

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Probably because nobody cares. Its like 20 people and a few tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I care.

I like your photos too dazftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

/offtopic That's a great blog Daz. The idea of the shots of all the locals is simple but looks brilliant.

/ontopic bit of a waste of time and energy unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah none of these protests will amount to anything that will actually change something. Though fair play to them, its cold down there and they are voicing their opinion about the state of the country.

One young fella asked what are ye protesting for and one of the lads simply replied your future my friend.

I'm just interested in Photojournalism so I'm approaching it with an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

That's not a great spot to to set up shop, not much cover from the elements and flooding also occurs there in "winter".

Great blog daftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Haha pic of tony Egan and all. Sound fella him.

That pink haired one is the happy one that worked in silver star I think.

Deadly blog

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

On one hand I applaud anyone there and actually considered it after getting an invite on facebook last week.

But on the other hand I can't help feel the majority of people down there are just hipsters trying to be cool/different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus Hickey has some head of hair on him in that photo ya have of em!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Sully wrote: »
    Jesus Hickey has some head of hair on him in that photo ya have of em!

hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

he looks like shaggy from scooby doo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Well if nothing comes of the protest at least I found your blog :) I can't wait to have a proper look through it.

Anyway, Sadly I think the whole movement is in vain but I'll give them 10/10 for trying. they would need there number to grow 100 fold world wide IMO to make a significant impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

ziedth wrote: »
    Well if nothing comes of the protest at least I found your blog :) I can't wait to have a proper look through it.

Anyway, Sadly I think the whole movement is in vain but I'll give them 10/10 for trying. they would need there number to grow 100 fold world wide IMO to make a significant impact.

Choice of location is not going to help, it's like a scene from father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ratedR wrote: »
    On one hand I applaud anyone there and actually considered it after getting an invite on facebook last week.

But on the other hand I can't help feel the majority of people down there are just hipsters trying to be cool/different.

I was down there last night. Didn't see too many hipsters myself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Looking at those photographs of Waterford remind me of what a bleak and souless place it is. I'm delighted I got out of there years ago. I pity the poor souls condemned to live in that place. A modern day Coketown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Fair play , we know it's in vain , now if i just could find that €3.6b i left somewhere :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Partizan wrote: »
    Looking at those photographs of Waterford remind me of what a bleak and souless place it is. I'm delighted I got out of there years ago. I pity the poor souls condemned to live in that place. A modern day Coketown.

I'm doing a Waterford calendar atm with pics of city & county. Waterford is FAR from a bleak and souless place imo and offers some gorgeous scenery and we have a fair few local businesses which offer a lot to tourists and locals alike.

Might not be the Dublin or Cork of Ireland, but we have a beauty here and its a shame not many realize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I disagree completely. Fantastic place to live and I am proud to say I am from
    Waterford.

On topic I imagine only the hardcore will occupy The Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

homolumo wrote: »
    I disagree completely. Fantastic place to live and I am proud to say I am from
    Waterford.

On topic I imagine only the hardcore will occupy The Quay.

Not sure how many people will spend every night there. Even if people spent a night every week or two there, there could be a good camp of people there within a short time.

Ill reject your pity meself. Tis not the greatest place in the world but I'm a homebird so wouldn't move outta here ever. Well never say never like lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

dazftw wrote: »
    Surprised it's not been posted yet but a group of protesters started camping by the Clock Tower today on the Quay.

I took some pictures today and will probably do again tomorrow. You can check them out here: http://daz0rz.wordpress.com/

love the photos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Probably because nobody cares. Its like 20 people and a few tents.
    Eventually there will be more tents than people.

Is there many there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Are they entitled so dole there ? Are they seeking our available for work.
    Pack of wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Available for work!!!!! after another night like tonight on the Quays they will be available for A and E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Available for work!!!!! after another night like tonight on the Quays they will be available for A and E.

Just as good they all have medical cards then innit? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is there any genuine information to suggest the protesters are claiming the dole and refusing employment?

I strongly doubt it. More likely some posters think opinion is a valid substitute for fact.

dayshah wrote: »
    Is there any genuine information to suggest the protesters are claiming the dole and refusing employment?

I strongly doubt it. More likely some posters think opinion is a valid substitute for fact.

True true.
    There's also no proof they are actively seeking employment either though.
    IMHO its none of my business if they are turning down work or not looking for it. There's not much going anyways so they may aswell go down and waste their time if that's what they want to do.

dayshah wrote: »

Maybe i am guilty of generalizing, however my comment is based on fact that i know a few of the boys down there very personally and for many years, and even when this town was firmly on its feet and jobs were abundant they were not actively seeking employment!! I was even told by one "Why would i want to work when i get money for free?" Fact!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Heathen wrote: »
    Maybe i am guilty of generalizing, however my comment is based on fact that i know a few of the boys down there very personally and for many years, and even when this town was firmly on its feet and jobs were abundant they were not actively seeking employment!! I was even told by one "Why would i want to work when i get money for free?" Fact!

H

No dude, that's not fact, it's hearsay.

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    No dude, that's not fact, it's hearsay.

Please explain to me how its hearsay when i know the lads doing it? for over 10 years???

H

Advertisement