Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    There are thousands of unemployed. There are many unemployed simply sponging of the state and that is why the state are implementing measures to prevent fraud in the system. But, for your sake, lets pretend it never happened eh?

Did you even give a cursory glance at the reports? Fortunately Dept. Social Protection is being run by one of the few members of the Dáil with a financial qualification rather than a FG hack who won't allow the facts get in the way of their ideology.

The reports clearly state that fraud is a tiny part of the problem. The main issue that needs to address is retraining. Hundreds of thousands of workers paid their PRSI during the good times, and are fully entitled to the dole and just need some help with retraining. Christ, you only had to read the summary of the NESC report to get that much.

As for the unguaranteed Anglo-bondholders, its complete BS that we are repaying them so people think Ireland is a safe place to invest. Investors are meant to take the risk, not the government. That's what capitalism is (another thing that many FG types ignore). The government could even have done a debt buy-back (something many FG hacks are unlikely to understand). This would have saved hundreds of millions.

I don't know where you bring Greece into the picture? I assume you don't understand the difference between bank and sovereign debt. Luckily Michael Noonan does. There is no such thing as a senior bondholder for sovereign debt. In Denmark senior bondholders were burned, and the Danes are doing just fine and dandy.

The notion that bank debt is just a small part of the problem is fairly mind boggling. Do you think its magic money that went into BoI, AIB, PTSB, Anglo etc. Almost every informed person (including Michael Noonan, Colm McCarthy and Patrick Honohan) knows that it is the bank debt that pushed us over the edge. They all agree we would have had a deficit to address, but our problems would have been entirely manageable. I suppose you are privy to some inside information that these people aren't? Last years deficit was 32% of GDP (roughly €50bn).

The bondholder issue isn't some side issue, it's a core reason why people are annoyed with the government.

Perhaps the Occupy people are achieving little, but they are doing it for a lot cheaper than FG scroungers, who take full TD and Minister salaries while strictly adhering to the plan laid out by FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

To be honest i don't care about the arguments about capitalism, globalism and the like put forward by you Occupiers or your friends the freeman idiots crowd. None of your plans stand up and have no popular support in any way with the vast majority of Irish people. You do not even represent 1% of your "99%". About the only battle you want to fight is to harrass the lowest paid staff in the city council about parking fines.

The fat dogs of finance must be terrified of you....

But could you answer me question. Why the F@ck do you need so much bloody room, I mean you are expanding again! For what, to make the clock tower look like a f@cking tent village? There are a lot of people who care about this city, who work there arse's off to make it look nice despite the shyt that has happened to it the you lot come along with no mandate what so ever and decide that the most prominent landmark in the city needs to look like a shanty town.

If you want to change the world, grow some balls, create a party with a platform and stand for election. But get your f@cking tents out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

invalid wrote: »
    To be honest i don't care about the arguments about capitalism, globalism and the like put forward by you Occupiers or your friends the freeman idiots crowd. None of your plans stand up and have no popular support in any way with the vast majority of Irish people. You do not even represent 1% of your "99%". About the only battle you want to fight is to harrass the lowest paid staff in the city council about parking fines.

The fat dogs of finance must be terrified of you....

But could you answer me question. Why the F@ck do you need so much bloody room, I mean you are expanding again! For what, to make the clock tower look like a f@cking tent village? There are a lot of people who care about this city, who work there arse's off to make it look nice despite the shyt that has happened to it the you lot come along with no mandate what so ever and decide that the most prominent landmark in the city needs to look like a shanty town.

If you want to change the world, grow some balls, create a party with a platform and stand for election. But get your f@cking tents out of the city.

It is a bit of an eye sore alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

agree it should be reigned back to the gazebo yoke , the mess around the trees is unnecessary attention seeking....

if a few people in their caravans set up camp there they would have been uproar im sure............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They won't do that,
    Why?

- It involves getting support from people (they know they won't get enough)
    - It also involves ALOT of organization to do it (apparently the occupy movement has no leader :rolleyes:)
    - If they don't get enough support they won't get their money back after any elections (they won't put their money where their mouth is)

As I said before, its clear at least for the Occupy Movement in Waterford that it is being used by other very low key party's to increases there numbers.

In short, this makes them self serving and no different to the party's they bitch about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Cabaal wrote: »

They won't do that,
    Why?

- It involves getting support from people (they know they won't get enough)
    - It also involves ALOT of organization to do it (apparently the occupy movement has no leader :rolleyes:)
    - If they don't get enough support they won't get their money back after any elections (they won't put their money where their mouth is)

As I said before, its clear at least for the Occupy Movement in Waterford that it is being used by other very low key party's to increases there numbers.

In short, this makes them self serving and no different to the party's they bitch about

Apparently there is a few in the movement that have been trying to distance themselves from the freeman nutters.

It's without a doubt being hijacked and there is a lot of hidden agendas.

I see fresh Facebook pages have been opened in an attempt to shake off the radicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I read that the Green Party launched a new frontbench today and were planning on making a comeback. Has McCann't objected to the tents yet? :)

The problem with such a protest is that people will, after its initial impact, adjust and ignore it. And with Christmas, there will be a lot of competition from other street based activities such as fundraising.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Inclusion

Nypd wrote: »
    Apparently there is a few in the movement that have been trying to distance themselves from the freeman nutters.

It's without a doubt being hijacked and there is a lot of hidden agendas.

I see fresh Facebook pages have been opened in an attempt to shake off the radicals.

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/187875_275867095792901_1004112850_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They're not the 99%. They're the 1% of the highest earners in the WORLD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

bring on the snow and really cold weather and hopefully it will send them on their merry way. can someone not just go down and remove them from the quay i wonder what visitors must think of waterford when they see them down there its a disgrace that they are allowed to stay there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news.html
    Looks like they might have had enough,was not downtown today wonder if they are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

A pointless exercise in my opinion.
    If you want to make a statement there are better ways of doing it!
    Not camping on the side of a street in the bloody cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It was never going to end any other way TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2012/01/03/camp-dismantlement-averted-as-aib-announce-occupy-waterford-sonsorship-deal/

310709_312619178763856_291038797588561_1272592_1129076472_n.jpg
    THE dismantling of the occupy Waterford camp at the clock tower was averted today after the Allied Irish Bank stepped in to sponsor the flailing group.

After two whole months of protesting, the occupy movement was on the verge of extinction due to ongoing bickering between different factions within the camp.

Inside sources have welcomed the sponsorship deal which will see more improved facilities on site, including: an electricity feed from the AIB bank across the street, flat screen TV’s with round the clock market news, an ATM machine, a financial advice desk for protesters and an onsite negotiator to difuse tensions between the camp members.

Protester Alan Marsh told WWN that things had become very heated over the past 8 weeks.

“It was grand at first. Everyone was getting along. Then someone decided they wanted Barry’s tea instead of Lyons. It all kicked off from there.”

The 34-year-old claimed that some members even went as far as to voice their own opinions about general everyday things on-line.

“Everyone just went crazy. It was all ‘he said, she said’ ****.”

“You’re a freeman this, who ate all the plain scones that. Sure most of them were talking through their holes anyway.”

Over 300 occupy Waterford facebook pages have been set up since November, leaving the majority of readers in stitches at the comments posted.

Vegetarian butcher, P.Larkin, stated that the movement has become an ongoing joke around the town.

“I have seen a lot of circus’s come to the city. Duffy’s, Fosset’s, you name it. But I have never seen anything as ludicrously entertaining as this lot.”

“All they need now is a few lama’s in the car park and away they go.”

“Sure they already have all the clowns they need.” he added.

The occupy Waterford group/s were not willing to comment on the new sponsorship deal today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Honestly, I thought that was serious for a minute. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Tbh, the majority of these parts are completely believable:
    Protester Alan Marsh told WWN that things had become very heated over the past 8 weeks.

“It was grand at first. Everyone was getting along. Then someone decided they wanted Barry’s tea instead of Lyons. It all kicked off from there.”

The 34-year-old claimed that some members even went as far as to voice their own opinions about general everyday things on-line.

“Everyone just went crazy. It was all ‘he said, she said’ ****.”

“You’re a freeman this, who ate all the plain scones that. Sure most of them were talking through their holes anyway.”

Over 300 occupy Waterford facebook pages have been set up since November, leaving the majority of readers in stitches at the comments posted.

Vegetarian butcher, P.Larkin, stated that the movement has become an ongoing joke around the town.

“I have seen a lot of circus’s come to the city. Duffy’s, Fosset’s, you name it. But I have never seen anything as ludicrously entertaining as this lot.”

“All they need now is a few lama’s in the car park and away they go.”

“Sure they already have all the clowns they need
    .” he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

it was a worth the wait was wondering when it would make the whispers news......
    seems there was some truth in the story though, heard the freemenz were loosing their grip on things down there so went setting up new fb pages and a power struggle ensued ,the less radical protesters left and the nutters regained control of the camp, once again they are advising people not to pay fines etc and other nonsense about new world order conspiracy stuff......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

I made a comment on their facebook page, asked a question,(even managed to get 30+ likes,go me !) but it bombarded into a massive row,and turned into a hate campaigin against me ! had a small few ppl willing to stick up for me and aggree with what i put to them,but in the long run,got blocked by their page ,and loggin on through a friends fb page,they were still rantin and raving and slaggin me off , as i was blocked,was unable to defend myself :confused:

They are all going about the whole thing wrong,anything for a fuss and a bit of attention and mostly anything for a row , oh , and its all old news now,their nothing short of trouble makers with the buckets out looking (begging) for money , how ironic :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

One of the occupiers was on WLR FM this morning.

Second part, straight in.

http://www.wlrfm.com/wlrfm-podcasts/deise-am-podcasts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

The Occupy Waterford Facebook page is gone by the looks of it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

The Occupy Waterford Facebook page is gone by the looks of it....

Are they gone aswell??

I dont know, but i found a Occupy Waterford group on FB after starting up.

wonder what happened....

Looks like u have to ASK to join that new group !! maybe they dont want ppl with opions leaving coments ???? They havnt the group 'private' and last post was less then an hour ago,so looks like their little 'cult' will only allow 'members' that ask to join and its up to the owner/creater of the new page to allow who they think is suitable :confused:
    Haaa haaaa haaaa , just reading through the posts, 'ClockTower' will be kicked out of the cult soonn if he dont ' reveal himself ' HA HA HA HA

my first guess when i seen this group was that they are maybe trying to keep the freemen gob****es out of it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

my first guess when i seen this group was that they are maybe trying to keep the freemen gob****es out of it this time.

Occupy Waterford is freeman gob****es regardless of what they try say or do.
    It's those idiots than killed the movement before it ever got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bugz

I was down there yesterday, saw this sign...........sums it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Nypd wrote: »
    Occupy Waterford is freeman gob****es regardless of what they try say or do.
    It's those idiots than killed the movement before it ever got going.

Yeah, if it weren't for them, ye'd all be down there by now, ready to die for the cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

So the state (effectively) is supporting a campaign against the state !!!

Kinda chilly willy out there tonite ! are they all still in their tents ?? heard theres a big sign on the clock tower too ! how are the city council allowing that ? beteween the tents,signs and looking for money off the public passing by,kinda resembles a a hostle del-a alfresco at this stage:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Freemen? Was Paul Atreides leading them by any chance?

Advertisement