Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Inclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BrianWalsh1980

Freemen?? The bloody name seems to be everywhere or may i say THEY seem to be bloody everywhere! Ive done a serious amount of research on occupy waterford and have come up with the truth behind the disagreements down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Freemen?? The bloody name seems to be everywhere or may i say THEY seem to be bloody everywhere! Ive done a serious amount of research on occupy waterford and have come up with the truth behind the disagreements down there!

Please do share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciarandoherty77

I hear the freemen tried to hijack the anti household charge meeting in the Tower the other night. Did anybody hear anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I hear the freemen tried to hijack the anti household charge meeting in the Tower the other night. Did anybody hear anything about it.

They really are a dastardly bunch, I wonder what other hijinx they're up to? I bet they cut the eyes out of old portraits so they can spy on people from behind walls...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I think they're off at the world hide and seek championships at the mo'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hopefully I wont get lynched for saying this but now they really are taking the piss. There doesn't appear to be anybody there past 9 in the evening (its all locked up, no sign of life, all the lights are off, doors closed). The tents are still not in use.

It puts the movement to shame. Slap up a few tents, some signs, and a big kitchen thingy in the middle of the Quay side to get attention but do nothing else and just have the tents there for show rather than actually "occupying" the area.

Why the hell wont the council just get rid of all the crap?

Sully wrote: »
    Hopefully I wont get lynched for saying this but now they really are taking the piss. There doesn't appear to be anybody there past 9 in the evening (its all locked up, no sign of life, all the lights are off, doors closed). The tents are still not in use.

It puts the movement to shame. Slap up a few tents, some signs, and a big kitchen thingy in the middle of the Quay side to get attention but do nothing else and just have the tents there for show rather than actually "occupying" the area.

Why the hell wont the council just get rid of all the crap?

Well, I'd say your tears for the movement are of a decidedly crocodile variety. However, I do agree, the whole thing collapsed, seemingly, in a storm of infighting. There is no call for all those tents to be there. In truth there never was. I never saw anybody enter or leave any of those small tents. I think there's a certain dishonestly in pretending a movement is larger than it actually is, and is ultimately undermining.

Still, the decline of the occupy movement is a real shame. Absolutely nothing to be happy about. It'll be the status quo for the Irish (assume the position), who believe that sniping from the sidelines at any given movement that stands up and does something as the best way of doing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

merlante wrote: »
    Still, the decline of the occupy movement is a real shame. Absolutely nothing to be happy about.
    Of course there is. It'll at least get rid of that eyesore on the Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

merlante wrote: »
    Well, I'd say your tears for the movement are of a decidedly crocodile variety.

Had to buy an extra packet of tissues in the end, I did. :/
    However, I do agree, the whole thing collapsed, seemingly, in a storm of infighting. There is no call for all those tents to be there. In truth there never was. I never saw anybody enter or leave any of those small tents. I think there's a certain dishonestly in pretending a movement is larger than it actually is, and is ultimately undermining.

Still, the decline of the occupy movement is a real shame. Absolutely nothing to be happy about. It'll be the status quo for the Irish (assume the position), who believe that sniping from the sidelines at any given movement that stands up and does something as the best way of doing good.

Yeah but it was an idea that didn't take off in Waterford, compared to other locations. The whole movement just shows that the majority of Irish people don't care enough to go out and protest, they feel they can stick it through. The movement seemed to want a rebellion against how the banks and the state was being run, but it failed and never took charge. It did better internationally but I suppose a larger population means more supporters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

May I make a suggestion that if nobody is there after 9pm that the council should pay a visit and remove all the random rubbish that somebody has very carelessly left around the quays,

Its strange that there's alot of camping equipment left as part of this rubbish, very odd indeed.

Its an eyesore and now we're hitting into tourist season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cabaal wrote: »
    May I make a suggestion that if nobody is there after 9pm that the council should pay a visit and remove all the random rubbish that somebody has very carelessly left around the quays,

Its strange that there's alot of camping equipment left as part of this rubbish, very odd indeed.

Its an eyesore and now we're hitting into tourist season
    If a group of us went down standing around we would have gotten moved along by the shicaloni, seems bringing a tent with you makes you ok to loiter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

suppose its fair to mention that there is certain elements on the quays after 9pm that made the tent goers go home for there own safety

Of course there is. It'll at least get rid of that eyesore on the Quay.

Ah, that's all right then. That's the main thing I suppose. (As long as the deck chairs are looking all right.)

Sully wrote: »
    Yeah but it was an idea that didn't take off in Waterford, compared to other locations. The whole movement just shows that the majority of Irish people don't care enough to go out and protest, they feel they can stick it through. The movement seemed to want a rebellion against how the banks and the state was being run, but it failed and never took charge. It did better internationally but I suppose a larger population means more supporters.

We're just new to the game of protesting about something that isn't a tax. What happened basically was that too many people with extreme views got involved before ordinary people caught on. Compare with water charges, septic tanks and household charge campaigns, which had narrower goals and were/are not dominated by cranks.

The problem that the occupy movement faced was being opposed to core facets of the capitalist system, which requires a big rethink of certain issues. Naturally, the cranks are just waiting for the bat signal in the sky because they already know that the illuminati are running the new world order... But for the rest of us, it's a more difficult thing to figure out exactly what the problems are and what we're against. The Irish have never been a 'big picture' sort of people. We're 'cute' when it comes to the short term stuff, like bagging FDI with low tax, but anything beyond that, it's a case of arrested development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The occupy movement implodes, and the unsecured anglo bondholders get their gambling winnings. Who needs an adequate health system when there are undeserving people in new york who we can just give the money to?

Sully can be happy with this true victory for ireland delivered by fine gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

suppose its fair to mention that there is certain elements on the quays after 9pm that made the tent goers go home for there own safety

Tent GOER
    Apparently only one protestor remains

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

Passed by there today.How are they getting away with the big banner in the side of the clock tower ??? they (thats if theres anyone actually there) should be removed and made clear up the place and the mess they created.whats paddys day gona be like with a heap of tents ect... plonked on the quay side :( cant see many familys wanting to be lined up,waitin for the parade next to a bunch of tents and angery hippys shoutin their rights ! ! !:eek:

Advertisement