Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

So if there was 100% employment, would everything be okay? Would there be any point to the occupy movement?

If the average person has to settle for a smaller and smaller slice of the pie, but they have a job, there's no point in protesting, I suppose? Some of the jobs that people are doing at the moment, and in normal times, are worth protesting about alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Junior wrote: »
    No dude, that's not fact, it's hearsay.

Objection! Badgering the witness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

merlante wrote: »
    So if there was 100% employment, would everything be okay? Would there be any point to the occupy movement?

If the average person has to settle for a smaller and smaller slice of the pie, but they have a job, there's no point in protesting, I suppose? Some of the jobs that people are doing at the moment, and in normal times, are worth protesting about alone.

So true man!! were getting a raw deal, no doubt about it!! I am earning 10k a year less now in my mid thirties then i did when i was in my mid twenties and im doing a job now with a hell of a lot more responsibilities than i did in my twenties, but i have debts and responsibilities that need to be financed, so my only option is to knuckle down and get the job done.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Heathen wrote: »
    So true man!! were getting a raw deal, no doubt about it!! I am earning 10k a year less now in my mid thirties then i did when i was in my mid twenties and im doing a job now with a hell of a lot more responsibilities than i did in my twenties, but i have debts and responsibilities that need to be financed, so my only option is to knuckle down and get the job done.

H

and if your salary was reduced to 5% of what it was you'd be told "ah you're lucky to have a job"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A couple of dole cheat/crusties/lefties are on WLR right now.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

H

This is it, advanced capitalism is supposed to provide a good quality of life for all, and better as time goes on. It more or less did this between 1945 and 1973 before the era of neo-liberalism kicked in. Since then, although average wages have risen slightly, the average is basically pushed up by the top 1% (or whatever) earning massive salaries. Factory salaries and ordinary white collar jobs have declined in real terms. A guy in a factory in 1960 was doing well for himself and had job security. A guy in a factory in 2011 is getting paid nothing and knows that they could be left go at any time.

I don't think that just because people have enough to survive on, that everything is okay. The financial services sector is taking a bigger and bigger chunk of all investment and not enough of this cash makes it to investment in real companies that generate real jobs.

In any case, I'm not sure how many people are down there permanently 24/7. Some are going down after work. They have a rota system in place to make sure there are always people there. So people shouldn't be so quick to judge. I hope it goes from strength to strength and that the inevitable "I know dat fella and his mother and he came from nothing..." bull****e -- or whatever the modern version of that line of begrudgery is -- doesn't stifle the protest or discourage people from joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

but i have debts and responsibilities that need to be financed, so my only option is to knuckle down and get the job done.

Well if you lived in a tent you wouldn't need a mortgage :D

mike65 wrote: »
    A couple of dole cheat/crusties/lefties are on WLR right now.

Accusing someone of dole fraud is a serious allegation. Dole fraud is a crime, and perpetrators should be punished.

If anyone has evidence of dole fraud they should notify the Dept. of Social Protection.

If you don't have evidence, don't post it on boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »
    Accusing someone of dole fraud is a serious allegation. Dole fraud is a crime, and perpetrators should be punished.

If anyone has evidence of dole fraud they should notify the Dept. of Social Protection.

If you don't have evidence, don't post it on boards.

It was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sully wrote: »
    It was a joke.

Daysha robbing your mod hat. The thief

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I even flagged the joke with a Carole Smilie! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

God we are very judgemental these days people, down through history if everybody did nothing , said nothing , god knows where we would be in this country of ours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

decies wrote: »
    God we are very judgemental these days people, down through history if everybody did nothing , said nothing , god knows where we would be in this country of ours!!

but they are doing nothing... sitting around the clock tower, chatting to themselves is not really doong anything ...

decies wrote: »
    I'd agree with robtri on this one. How is siting around on the quay going to help in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Funny thing about these occupiers, was down ''debating'' with them earlier when one turned around and said why dont you join in, you dont have a job and neither does your girlfriend by the looks of things to which i replied we do we're just on lunch, now this is where it got good, he turns around and said i dont have a job so i said well your not going to find one on the quay are ya? This point he turned sort of aggressive and started giving me some bull**** so i simply and calmly asked him if the media is so corrupt why is yer man over there doing an interview, its not going to get published because in you're own words the media is corrupt and doesn't bother with things like this. Anyway after a heated debate with this chap i asked how much longer you plannin on staying here and he said oh well im back in work Saturday so this will probably be my last day. He really confused me because i thought he said he didnt work, so i posed it to him and again more aggression from him. Another fella came up and tried telling me that look at all these people none of them are greedy, to which i pointed out a person I'd know and said he drives a 06 7 series BMW and a 3litre twin turbo supra with loads of extras, now explain how thats not greed. There alot like a cult I think, there is something wrong with the ''Freemen''. I think they should all get a hefty fine for littering and loitering. Wouldnt be long about fcukin off the quay then, all these people are wanna be's. The ''99%'' of them aren't dedicated to this, grand maybe the "1%" of people from Wexford or Tipp that traveled might believe in this but the rest don't. All I can say it wait till a nice frosty night and wait and see em all heading home. Can't wait for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Passed the lads on the way into to college yesterday, seemed to be havin right craic, 2 of em were drinkin cans.

I don't get this occupy "a certain place" trend thats popping up, what they're demonstrating that their not happy with what's going on in the country? and Europe?

Hello! the whole country feels the same, just cause your sitting outside in the cold means your feel stronger about it? made me feel guilty today passing these lads for a second today.

It was a joke.

This thread is littered with allegations of dole fraud.

Sure why not all have a laugh and start naming priests as pedos, and say businesses are going into liquidation. It will be a blast.

Its about time people play the ball and not the man. You should know better.

But hey, here is a wink smilie, just so you don't go into a strop, and say this is for the moderation forum.

;)

There, that ok?

DaleB91 wrote: »
    There alot like a cult I think, there is something wrong with the ''Freemen''.

What is a Freeman?
    Hello! the whole country feels the same, just cause your sitting outside in the cold means your feel stronger about it? made me feel guilty today passing these lads for a second today.

I don't know much about this crowd, and I prefer to camping in the Comeraghs. However there were plenty of marches that had a poor turnout. I certainly don't want riots in the streets, but paying the Anglo bondholders is fundamentally unjust. Maybe the govt is right because the ECB have us bent over a table, but then we could march against the ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I don't know much about this crowd, and I prefer to camping in the Comeraghs. However there were plenty of marches that had a poor turnout. I certainly don't want riots in the streets, but paying the Anglo bondholders is fundamentally unjust. Maybe the govt is right because the ECB have us bent over a table, but then we could march against the ECB.

Agreed, but the bondholders needed to be paid for any future stability but imo it should came from the European fund not just the Irish,

What is a Freeman?

Basically someone who doesn't subscribe to our life. Normally someone who wants to smoke joints without getting arrested but decides to resubscribe then if they need help.load of bollox of ya ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What are their demands, exactly? What are they hoping to achieve? And I don't want some sort of bullsh1t answer like "fairness and justice for the 99%" or whatever, I mean actual specifics.

Newaglish wrote: »
    What are their demands, exactly? What are they hoping to achieve? And I don't want some sort of bullsh1t answer like "fairness and justice for the 99%" or whatever, I mean actual specifics.
    I'd say if you asked them to explain it properly they wouldn't be able to give specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm off for the weekend.. I'm looking forward to having some chats with them and taking photo's. If they try tell me the media is corrupt or go on about chemtrails its going be great. I support the occupy movement against the governments and banks but not that hippy conspiracy bull****.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    I'm off for the weekend.. I'm looking forward to having some chats with them and taking photo's. If they try tell me the media is corrupt or go on about chemtrails its going be great. I support the occupy movement against the governments and banks but not that hippy conspiracy bull****.

Woo updated blog so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

what really annoys me is how many protesters are actually just wasters looking to blame the government.

a guy i know, left school at 15, no qualifications. did a small bit of work on a farm in wexford for a while, left out of his own accord ('early mornings killin me boy'), spent the last 6 years mostly dealing a small bit of weed, living with his parents and sitting on the dole or whatever it is he's claiming.
    and he goes off protesting about the government! how he has 'nothing' cos of them!
    no you have nothing because your a lazy waste of space!

its horrible because there are genuine people who have been let down for whatever reason and are trying to something about it, but then you have some idiots hanging about, and sure doesn't the media always manage to get interviews with these clowns and not with the genuine guys.
    in the same way they conveniently only talked to the already drunk students a few weeks ago when the templars situation was hot.

dazftw wrote: »

It'd be good to get some decent information on these people, like whether they are Jim Corr types or genuine protestors.
    kkdela6 wrote: »
    its horrible because there are genuine people who have been let down for whatever reason and are trying to something about it,

The decisions about Anglo affect all of us. We've all been screwed over.
    Newaglish wrote: »

In fairness, I'd expect specifics with someone running for election. But I think there is still validity in people registering that they are pissed off, and leaving it to others to provide solutions. However, I really dislike the slogan 'we are the 99%'. For feck sake. I didn't ask them to represent me, and 28% of people still voted for Seán Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »
    Haha pic of tony Egan and all. Sound fella him.

That pink haired one is the happy one that worked in silver star I think.

Deadly blog

Yeah, quite a happy person she was. A joy to deal with...

Nice blog Daz. Pointless protest. Do they have any clear aims? Because I know that was one of the main points of the Wall Street and Dublin crowds; that there were no leaders and no objectives as such. Ridiculous! You can't just have anyone who has a problem with anything come and join in a general protest against whatever you feel like! It can't possibly achieve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Reminds me of the RS, Revolutionary Struggle who hijacked the anti nuclear movement back in the seventies,was at a meeting in the stadium they called but they believed in mass democracy, everybody who wanted to was entitled to speak from the podium about whatever they wanted, no chairman etc, was some laugh until the first flagon was thrown....... best free for all I was ever in, destroyed a good cause though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This will probably get on peoples nerves when I say this, and I am sure people will jump to their defense, but..

1) I think its completely and utterly pointless. A small group occupying a small area of a few cities, in a few countries, in tens and doing very little bar drinking and asking for handouts wont get you anywhere. The big boys they are moaning about wont have a change of heart, wont step away from a bailout or take a hit financially. It wont impact them in the slightest. The movement comes across as a "jobless site" where those with little to do and no jobs hang about in tents and moan about having no jobs and being broke - pointing the finger at others.

2) It looks completely tacky. For a city that is struggling and relying a lot on tourists, the image they are setting in such a key and busy area isn't positive or good. For tourists to see a group of tents and homemade signs with people drinking away on the streets or just dirtying the place up could very well see them turning around and heading away, not spending as much time here, feeling intimidated, or going back to friends and family about the "dump" that was Waterford - all because people occupied a large area in some weird protest, but not actually protesting or making any impact at all.

The council should move them on, its a ghastly sight and they serve absolutely no purpose where they are. Its doing more harm then good for jobs and our image.

You wont find a job, assuming your looking and need one, sitting around at the clock tower for a few hours every day. Nobody cares, or gives a ****e. The government are not bothered, the bankers are not bothered, the big money people are not bothered and clearly a lot of the Irish people are not bothered either.

From looking on their Facebook, it would appear if you don't agree with their protest in any shape or form your just going to be belittled and mocked. One person was effectively told his opinion didn't matter, because he was a student and not originally from Waterford (don't I see non nationals at this protest?). The above poster seems to confirm that this view isn't just that of their online presence but is behind at least some of their protesters as discovered in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

This will probably get on peoples nerves when I say this, and I am sure people will jump to their defense, but..

1) I think its completely and utterly pointless. A small group occupying a small area of a few cities, in a few countries, in tens and doing very little bar drinking and asking for handouts wont get you anywhere. The big boys they are moaning about wont have a change of heart, wont step away from a bailout or take a hit financially. It wont impact them in the slightest. The movement comes across as a "jobless site" where those with little to do and no jobs hang about in tents and moan about having no jobs and being broke - pointing the finger at others.

2) It looks completely tacky. For a city that is struggling and relying a lot on tourists, the image they are setting in such a key and busy area isn't positive or good. For tourists to see a group of tents and homemade signs with people drinking away on the streets or just dirtying the place up could very well see them turning around and heading away, not spending as much time here, feeling intimidated, or going back to friends and family about the "dump" that was Waterford - all because people occupied a large area in some weird protest, but not actually protesting or making any impact at all.

The council should move them on, its a ghastly sight and they serve absolutely no purpose where they are. Its doing more harm then good for jobs and our image.

You wont find a job, assuming your looking and need one, sitting around at the clock tower for a few hours every day. Nobody cares, or gives a ****e. The government are not bothered, the bankers are not bothered, the big money people are not bothered and clearly a lot of the Irish people are not bothered either.

From looking on their Facebook, it would appear if you don't agree with their protest in any shape or form your just going to be belittled and mocked. One person was effectively told his opinion didn't matter, because he was a student and not originally from Waterford (don't I see non nationals at this protest?). The above poster seems to confirm that this view isn't just that of their online presence but is behind at least some of their protesters as discovered in person.

You are the 1%

Advertisement