Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »
    This thread is littered with allegations of dole fraud.

Sure why not all have a laugh and start naming priests as pedos, and say businesses are going into liquidation. It will be a blast.

Its about time people play the ball and not the man. You should know better.

But hey, here is a wink smilie, just so you don't go into a strop, and say this is for the moderation forum.

;)

There, that ok?

Mod Note

If you have a problem with a post, report it. If you object to how its moderated, contact the moderators directly. If that fails, head over to the Feedback Forum.

Ruling by the letter of the charter or forum rules isn't how moderation is done on Boards, and it never should be.

Again, send one of us a PM with your objections. Not on here. Leave the topic flow as it is, and leave the moderation to the moderators and your comments to them or the Feedback form for review by an Administrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »
    This will probably get on peoples nerves when I say this, and I am sure people will jump to their defense, but..

1) I think its completely and utterly pointless. A small group occupying a small area of a few cities, in a few countries, in tens and doing very little bar drinking and asking for handouts wont get you anywhere. The big boys they are moaning about wont have a change of heart, wont step away from a bailout or take a hit financially. It wont impact them in the slightest. The movement comes across as a "jobless site" where those with little to do and no jobs hang about in tents and moan about having no jobs and being broke - pointing the finger at others.

2) It looks completely tacky. For a city that is struggling and relying a lot on tourists, the image they are setting in such a key and busy area isn't positive or good. For tourists to see a group of tents and homemade signs with people drinking away on the streets or just dirtying the place up could very well see them turning around and heading away, not spending as much time here, feeling intimidated, or going back to friends and family about the "dump" that was Waterford - all because people occupied a large area in some weird protest, but not actually protesting or making any impact at all.

The council should move them on, its a ghastly sight and they serve absolutely no purpose where they are. Its doing more harm then good for jobs and our image.

You wont find a job, assuming your looking and need one, sitting around at the clock tower for a few hours every day. Nobody cares, or gives a ****e. The government are not bothered, the bankers are not bothered, the big money people are not bothered and clearly a lot of the Irish people are not bothered either.

From looking on their Facebook, it would appear if you don't agree with their protest in any shape or form your just going to be belittled and mocked. One person was effectively told his opinion didn't matter, because he was a student and not originally from Waterford (don't I see non nationals at this protest?). The above poster seems to confirm that this view isn't just that of their online presence but is behind at least some of their protesters as discovered in person.

You are the 1%
    Funny but the OP makes some valid observations, and just because people do thingsfor seemingly good reasons does not mean they are not total tossers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

DaleB91 wrote: »
    Funny thing about these occupiers, was down ''debating'' with them earlier when one turned around and said why dont you join in, you dont have a job and neither does your girlfriend by the looks of things to which i replied we do we're just on lunch, now this is where it got good, he turns around and said i dont have a job so i said well your not going to find one on the quay are ya? This point he turned sort of aggressive and started giving me some bull**** so i simply and calmly asked him if the media is so corrupt why is yer man over there doing an interview, its not going to get published because in you're own words the media is corrupt and doesn't bother with things like this. Anyway after a heated debate with this chap i asked how much longer you plannin on staying here and he said oh well im back in work Saturday so this will probably be my last day. He really confused me because i thought he said he didnt work, so i posed it to him and again more aggression from him. Another fella came up and tried telling me that look at all these people none of them are greedy, to which i pointed out a person I'd know and said he drives a 06 7 series BMW and a 3litre twin turbo supra with loads of extras, now explain how thats not greed. There alot like a cult I think, there is something wrong with the ''Freemen''. I think they should all get a hefty fine for littering and loitering. Wouldnt be long about fcukin off the quay then, all these people are wanna be's. The ''99%'' of them aren't dedicated to this, grand maybe the "1%" of people from Wexford or Tipp that traveled might believe in this but the rest don't. All I can say it wait till a nice frosty night and wait and see em all heading home. Can't wait for it!!

fairly bloody cold out there at the moment, passed by the quay on the way home from work just after 5am and there was plenty of them in there......

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Was stopped at the lights by the Clock Tower just after 4:30pm...

Lots of passers-by thinking there was a mart set up :D Saw people walking as far as the white marquees, then reading the signs and then turning and high-tailing it away!

Nobody honking in support either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Interesting to note the mixture of reactions on here to the notion that society could "change" or "improve". Mostly negative.

If people have a better idea, let's hear it. If you think some of the lads down there are cracked, pitch a tent and dilute their influence. I was talking to one or two of them and I must admit, I never heard so much crazy in all my life, but they're spot on about one thing, it's a damn site better than sitting at home watching coronation street. The danger with these things is that sensible, useful people don't get involved and it gets dominated by cranks. That doesn't mean stand back and laugh at them, get involved, or whinge about how none of them have jobs, etc. It's a leaderless movement, which will go wherever the people go, more or less. If people don't get involved, or suggest a better kind of protest, or do something themselves, then I really wish they wouldn't bother complaining about unemployment, low wages and other similar issues.

The whole of Europe and the US is collapsing under a weight of debt. Sooner or later this is going to translate into the ordinary joe getting poor. And for what? I have infinitely more respect for people who get off their arses and do something than keyboard warriors who do nothing. And you have to admit, if nothing else, people are talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

http://youtu.be/SnAqQIqgg6Y

Anyone ever see Wake up Ron Burgundy??

If you did then the remind me of the Alarm Clock Group in it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Here's my photo's from today. Some word's as well to clear up some speculation about the group.

http://daz0rz.wordpress.com/

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

merlante wrote: »
    Interesting to note the mixture of reactions on here to the notion that society could "change" or "improve". Mostly negative.

If people have a better idea, let's hear it. If you think some of the lads down there are cracked, pitch a tent and dilute their influence. I was talking to one or two of them and I must admit, I never heard so much crazy in all my life, but they're spot on about one thing, it's a damn site better than sitting at home watching coronation street. The danger with these things is that sensible, useful people don't get involved and it gets dominated by cranks. That doesn't mean stand back and laugh at them, get involved, or whinge about how none of them have jobs, etc. It's a leaderless movement, which will go wherever the people go, more or less. If people don't get involved, or suggest a better kind of protest, or do something themselves, then I really wish they wouldn't bother complaining about unemployment, low wages and other similar issues.

The whole of Europe and the US is collapsing under a weight of debt. Sooner or later this is going to translate into the ordinary joe getting poor. And for what? I have infinitely more respect for people who get off their arses and do something than keyboard warriors who do nothing. And you have to admit, if nothing else, people are talking about it.

Whay is it really about? Dame street occupy the central bank, so what are the occupy waferford occpying? 10/10 for trying but a real waste of their time. Leaderless organisations will always fail.

Whay is it really about? Dame street occupy the central bank, so what are the occupy waferford occpying? 10/10 for trying but a real waste of their time. Leaderless organisations will always fail.

So you're saying that because Waterford has no central bank that there is nothing to protest about?

Thankfully, people have not always thought this way in the past. We had the trade union movement, anti-apartheid movement, civil rights movements, women's suffrage, and a thousand other movements, which have made a reasonable society possible over the centuries. Leaders did ultimately emerge in these movements as they will in the occupy movement.

I seem to remember Gandhi had a load of people sitting on the ground and that seemed to change a few things in India. I suppose he should have just shut up and got a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I seem to remember Gandhi had a load of people sitting on the ground and that seemed to change a few things in India. I suppose he should have just shut up and got a job.
    Comparing Gandhi and occupy Waterford. Seriously?
    We have "how do" and they had Gandhi.
    Saying that though that jebus fella sat around with a gang of the lads and look how famous he is. You might have a good point

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Comparing Gandhi and occupy Waterford. Seriously?
    We have "how do" and they had Gandhi.
    Saying that though that jebus fella sat around with a gang of the lads and look how famous he is. You might have a good point

And who was Gandhi? Just some stubborn fecker who kept refusing to take off his turban and getting the crap kicked out of him for it. He wasn't the son of God or anything. I love this idea that Gandhis can come out of India but never out of Waterford... Then again, he'd have to get past the, "Ah Gandhi, I knew his mother and his grandmother and they came from nothing..." Not to mention the withering negativity of online forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

So you're saying that because Waterford has no central bank that there is nothing to protest about?

Thankfully, people have not always thought this way in the past. We had the trade union movement, anti-apartheid movement, civil rights movements, women's suffrage, and a thousand other movements, which have made a reasonable society possible over the centuries. Leaders did ultimately emerge in these movements as they will in the occupy movement.

and how did these movement work out? they worked cause someone actually stood up, not occupy some area where they didn't cause trouble. I went to the oocupy dame street protest in dublin on the 15th october and i donated a 100 euro for the cause.they were not occupying dame street just the pavement. But it is a failure, they allow to many nut jobs around them and it puts the public off. there is no clear goal in what they should do and that fear in upsetting the public is another reason why they are failing. set an example for the people to follow and remember you are not the 99% just apart of it. don't claim you are better cause you stand up when other don't, cause why should we replace the gobsh*tes in the dail with you gobsh*tes? Change is coming and the loons on the left and the right are going to hi-jack any path to power.

Remember you will be played by those who don't want you rocking the boat and by those who hope you would be too busy rocking the boat to notice who is slipping into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I don't buy the "at least they're going out and doing something" argument for a second.

If I decided to go walk in a circle for 5 minutes in protest, you could still call it "going out and doing something".

And who was Gandhi? Just some stubborn fecker who kept refusing to take off his turban and getting the crap kicked out of him for it. He wasn't the son of God or anything. I love this idea that Gandhis can come out of India but never out of Waterford... Then again, he'd have to get past the, "Ah Gandhi, I knew his mother and his grandmother and they came from nothing..." Not to mention the withering negativity of online forums.

But sure how does sitting around help them? If it was helping them then fair enough but surely you can't think what they are doing is going to help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

dazftw wrote: »
    Here's my photo's from today. Some word's as well to clear up some speculation about the group.

http://daz0rz.wordpress.com/

Great pics there dazftw, keep em coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I don't buy the "at least they're going out and doing something" argument for a second.

If I decided to go walk in a circle for 5 minutes in protest, you could still call it "going out and doing something".

If you do it, for 5 minutes, probably not. But if people in cities across the world did it, and for a few weeks rather than overnight, it might get some attention.

Imagine if a group of people in Dublin decided to occupy the post office, get pulverised by artillery, and then have the leaders shot.

Imagine if some Tunisian guy set himself on fire because a police woman gave him a slap in the face in an argument over a vending permit.

Imagine if supermarket workers went on strike because they didn't want to sell goods from a country that doesn't allow people of one colour into a city after dark.

Imagine if some woman decided to sit down in the front on a bus.

Imagine if some guys dressed up as American Indians, and threw a load of tea into the sea.

What might be more difficult is to imagine a world in which these silly pointless protests didn't happen, because the world would be a very different place if they didn't.

I haven't called down to these people, I don't know what they are like, I don't know what they will achieve. What I do know is that in thirty years from now, when they're sitting around their fireside with their grandson on their knee and he asks, "What did you do in the great Recession," they won't have to say, "Well... I shoveled **** in Louisiana."

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

6315942086_b36f41dc8c_z.jpg

I knew it, its the banks who've been putting fluoride in the water all along.

Kxiii wrote: »
    I knew it, its the banks who've been putting fluoride in the water all along.

Well I've been grinding my teeth over the $1bn Anglo bond. If it wasn't for the fluoride they'd probably be grounded down to nothing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

6315428801_282654cbe7_z.jpg

I absolutely agree with this. This should be the focus of the Irish occupy movement, as the message resonates with the Irish public. Not really sure if the likes of the Fluoride controversy should be brought in to these protests as it muddles the message.

I don't agree that any protest is ever pointless. And they certainly shouldn't be 'moved on' as Sully requested. That is the action of a totalitarian state, that does not permit free speech and freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Please tell me that that's a piece of dirt between the d and n of didnt and not an apostrophe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Partizan wrote: »
    Looking at those photographs of Waterford remind me of what a bleak and souless place it is. I'm delighted I got out of there years ago. I pity the poor souls condemned to live in that place. A modern day Coketown.

I take it you've not passed through Tipperary before then?

letsbet wrote: »
    Please tell me that that's a piece of dirt between the d and n of didnt and not an apostrophe!

That's what happens when you cut education spending to prop up the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

These occupy protests are completely pointless...the big boys are simply laughing at the sight of these wasters protesting against nothing in particular.

Doing an awful lot more harm than good to our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

daddydick wrote: »
    These occupy protests are completely pointless...the big boys are simply laughing at the sight of these wasters protesting against nothing in particular.

Doing an awful lot more harm than good to our cities.

I have to agree I'm afraid, I passed it again this morning and it looks completely ridiculous.

The previous government has allowed the banks to destroy our country, the current government stands by while banks hand out bonuses and pay rises, all while a large selection of society struggle to provide the basics for their families.

What in lords name do the occupy movement hope to achieve here ?
    Is any of their movement in talks with anyone ? Or are they just parked in their shanty town that's erected in the middle of our main route into the city.

Everyone has the right to protest, but come on give me a break.

Attack their argument, not their character. That's the sign of an unintelligent basis for a debate.

They are angered at the bank bailout and the effect that it has had on our public services. I fail to see how this is a protest against 'nothing in particular'. Have a bit of intellectual rigor, for pete's sake.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Attack their argument, not their character. That's the sign of an unintelligent basis for a debate.

They are angered at the bank bailout and the effect that it has had on our public services. I fail to see how this is a protest against 'nothing in particular'. Have a bit of intellectual rigor, for pete's sake.

They have signs that say 'we are the 99%'.

Why don't the signs say 'we are the 13%'? the facts are that 99% of the worlds population earn less than €38k. But 87% of the world population earn less than the Irish dole of €150 that these wasters earn each week. There signs should say 'we are the 13%'.

And don't patronise me about my intelligence or intellectual rigour. My opinion is my opinion and what you say isn't going to change it. I think these wasters should be actively seeking employment instead of wasting their time occupying waterford. It's embarrassing.

And don't patronise me about my intelligence or intellectual rigour. My opinion is my opinion and what you say isn't going to change it. I think these wasters should be actively seeking employment instead of wasting their time occupying waterford. It's embarrassing.

You can have an opinion - but attacking someone's character is the weakest form of debate. And who's to say they haven't been searching for employment? Why cast aspirations on an entire group as a collective? Maybe they are fed up with the lack of available employment in Waterford, or the continual departure of jobs from the city?

dlofnep wrote: »
    You can have an opinion - but attacking someone's character is the weakest form of debate. And who's to say they haven't been searching for employment? Why cast aspirations on an entire group as a collective? Maybe they are fed up with the lack of available employment in Waterford, or the continual departure of jobs from the city?

I studied hard in school, got a really good university course, studied really hard, got a good degree, got a great job which requires me to wear a suit and walk down dame street every morning. I don't deserve the heckling that I receive from these wasters every day. I don't know if the protesters in Waterford are at the same sort of intimidating tactics but what is happening on dame st is a disgrace.

I studied hard in school, got a really good university course, studied really hard, got a good degree, got a great job which requires me to wear a suit and walk down dame street every morning. I don't deserve the heckling that I receive from these wasters every day. I don't know if the protesters in Waterford are at the same sort of intimidating tactics but what is happening on dame st is a disgrace.
    Take a handful of coins outta your pocket and throw it in between them and keep walking.
    Nice one on the education and good job.

• Advertisement

I seriously can't understand why people are more annoyed with the protesters than with the banks that cost about €17,500 per person; or about €30,000 per person in employment. No-one has to pay any attention to the protesters. We all have to foot the bill for the banking fvck up. Sure there are some strange types too with ideas about fluoride, but I'd take a fluoride oddball over Seany Fitzpatrick any day.

Daddydick, do you work in Bank of Ireland or the Central Bank by any chance?

Advertisement