Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

seems like pretty dumb carry on, will be the beginning of their end imo, city council will prob act now ,all they had to do was stay in their hut and not bother anyone,unfortunately they are desprate for some attention.....
    and what the santa nut was shouting across at people q' ing for the bank link"
    "people why doesnt the bank have a chimney, so santa cant rob all their money"

says it all really about their mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Police officer who got arrested at Zuccotti Park on the 17th speaks about it:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18624914

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Standing up for what you believe in? yeah i'm all for that, fair played to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Boooourns wrote: »
    Standing up for what you believe in? yeah i'm all for that, fair played to them.

Several hundred people gathered with their children for a bit of free entertainment, many of them no doubt just as affected by the current problems as the protesters. Less than 20 decide they have a right to introduce politics and protest into an otherwise good natured and enjoyable event.

Right, let them stand up for what they believe in, no problem, but don't interfere with the vast majority who were doing what they believe in, which was giving their children a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

looksee wrote: »
    Right, let them stand up for what they believe in, no problem, but don't interfere with the vast majority who were doing what they believe in, which was giving their children a bit of fun.

I think its ok to camp out, or hand out leaflets on a Saturday afternoon, but I really don't like dragging children into it. Also the City Council have a far greater right to claim to represent the 99% than the occupy people.

Stuff like this just drives people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm all for peoples right to protest and I admIre anyone for standing up for what they believe in. But, causing hassle at turning on Christmas light with kids present is nothing more attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm all for peoples right to protest and I admIre anyone for standing up for what they believe in. But, causing hassle at turning on Christmas light with kids present is nothing more attention seeking.

Don't think the switching on of the Christmas lights was the time or the place (if they did actually interfere) but it is a protest after all. If the protest stays at the clock tower people are 'sitting there doing nothing' when they go out and do something they're 'looking for attention' or 'causing hassle'.

The people I have the least time for are those who respect people's right to protest and are all for protest *theoretically* but never any particular protest, and will usually undermine any protest that is actually going, on the basis of the sort of people involved or some backfired stunt that is seized upon (light the Christmas lights switching on), etc.

If people feel protests are pointless in general, fine, that's their view. But a lot of people like to kid themselves that they're some kind of hip, lefty, cool with all races and sexualities, aware of the pain and suffering across the world, etc., type but they always find some reason not to actually back it up with action. Wouldn't be seen with certain types of people in certain types of places. Point is, it's only cool to have gay friends and black friends now because people got the **** kicked out of them protesting for those rights in the late 60's.

Anyway, enjoy X Factor as the other poster says, bend over for the troika, and keep laughing at people who are sleeping in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭starrywalsh

I have not said much about this movement.

I was once part of the Freeman movement that set up this Occupy Waterford movement. However I decided to leave the movement because I was worried about my safety.

It all started when I voiced my opinion regarding the 99% slogan, I didn't think it was good to claim to represent 99%, or say that you were even part of a 99%.

Anyway, after I voiced this opinion, I received several threats from someone who is very active in the Occupy Movement. I couldn't believe it really!

I was left with no choice but to distance myself from the movement, fearing for my safety.

These protesters walk around claiming to be love and light, and claim they want real democracy, but voice an opinion that does not resonate with theirs and you will be threatened with physical violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

merlante wrote: »
    Don't think the switching on of the Christmas lights was the time or the place (if they did actually interfere) but it is a protest after all. If the protest stays at the clock tower people are 'sitting there doing nothing' when they go out and do something they're 'looking for attention' or 'causing hassle'.
    Disappointing to see you defending what Occupy Waterford did at the Christmas lights - what does blocking the Mayor have to do with the Occupy movement? Is the Mayor supposed to be part of the 1%? Trying to cause a stir at a family event and disrespecting the Mayor is disgraceful.
    Anyway, enjoy X Factor as the other poster says, bend over for the troika, and keep laughing at people who are sleeping in the cold.
    That is a little insulting to be honest. I don't support Occupy Waterford but that doesn't mean I watch X Factor and am bending over for the troika. We all know about how the political and banking elite have fcuked us, we don't need anyone camping in a tent in a public space to tell us this, and just because we don't join them doesn't mean we are all content with all the bad stuff that is happening.

• Advertisement

Disappointing to see you defending what Occupy Waterford did at the Christmas lights - what does blocking the Mayor have to do with the Occupy movement? Is the Mayor supposed to be part of the 1%? Trying to cause a stir at a family event and disrespecting the Mayor is disgraceful.

Yeah, I did say "Don't think the switching on of the Christmas lights was the time or the place".

The only reason I qualified that statement was because, inevitably, whenever people protest, be it at Christmas lights turning on ceremonies or anywhere else, people tend to get annoyed. Even at the clock tower, they're annoying some people because they reckon the shabbiness will put off tourists. Protest will always put some people out, but you have to manage it properly.
    That is a little insulting to be honest. I don't support Occupy Waterford but that doesn't mean I watch X Factor and am bending over for the troika. We all know about how the political and banking elite have fcuked us, we don't need anyone camping in a tent in a public space to tell us this, and just because we don't join them doesn't mean we are all content with all the bad stuff that is happening.

Don't actually agree with that, personally. I think that if you're not doing something then you're doing nothing, which is the equivalent of watching X Factor. I'm not saying go join occupy Waterford, but if you don't have a better idea, and you're being silently ineffectually unhappy, then you are not far from bending over for the troika. I am really surprised at people's attitudes towards a group that is trying to make a difference. Could people not just say "good on them, not my cup of tea, I'd prefer to do X or Y as a more meaningful protest/productive action, but fair play to them for doing something all the same". Instead you get this sneering sort of attitude from many on here, who ridicule but do nothing. The fact of the matter is that if you had 50 people down there rather 7/8, the protest would start to register big time. 50 is not a lot of people given there's about 75,000 people in a 10km radius. Jesus, if everyone posting to Waterford boards went down there it would probably make an impression.

As to this guff about Freemen, the protest in Waterford has moved on, there's a lot of people down there now who have nothing to do with Freemen. I'd love to see it move on further so that more of the moderate 99% joined the protest.

hearing whats coming in this budget from the daily "leaks" in the media would make anyone want to go out an protest, dame street is been taken to court this week to get an eviction order on the campers , no doubt if they get it the other cities will follow suit , which is'nt too good for demoracy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i bet if it snows soon they wont be occupying nothing...........kind of pointless they wont achieve a thing i somehow doubt the bankers r worried who is camping out when they are in their houses nice and cosy.......i think its time to go home lads....oh and leave your tents for the homeless lord knows at least they deserve some shelter on the quay...if it was some homeless people that pitched up tents there they would be kicked out straight away so the city council should go down get rid of these people...they are people right and not some invading aliens from mars.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Jesus, if everyone posting to Waterford boards went down there it would probably make an impression.
    Because at least half of us would tell em they were arseholes to try and interrupt the christmas lights being turned on, and to grow up and stop annoying everyone around town.

afaih that lights thing was the freemen element and they didnt cause too much of a stir,
    of course its grand to sit in and condem peoples ideals and goals im sure some of the genuine occupiers there would have awful stories to tell ,mabey about loosing their jobs,houses ,security or even family.....

Because at least half of us would tell em they were arseholes to try and interrupt the christmas lights being turned on, and to grow up and stop annoying everyone around town.

Ah yeah, go after the real enemy. I wouldn't say any of ye would make it down there to say it to them anyway. Then again, maybe they'll feel the heat of ye're "boards.ie christmas lights whinge protest".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Ah yeah, go after the real enemy. I wouldn't say any of ye would make it down there to say it to them anyway. Then again, maybe they'll feel the heat of ye're "boards.ie christmas lights whinge protest".
    At least we're not sitting on our arses doing nothing about it!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Hope the Gardai are checking that these tents are being "occupied" each night. Any of them that aren't should be removed immediately as litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Yeah your right no time to visit, it's called a job and a life
    If you don't have one get the other !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

eiresandra wrote: »
    Hope the Gardai are checking that these tents are being "occupied" each night. Any of them that aren't should be removed immediately as litter.
    Good point actually.
    Turns out one of the lads down there used to be neighbor of mine years ago.
    When I knew him growing up he was grand. Dunno what he like since he got out of prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

a lot of people on here are slating the people down at 'occupy Waterford' like they are a band of tree hugging hippies. The movement is more than that, all sectors of society feel very strongly that the economic route we are taking isnt working. Some of the US news channels fell into the trap thinking that this was some collection of lay-abouts in occupy wall street, only when they started interviewing those down there that they realised that a lot of these people are carpenters, teachers and office workers whose company had gone bust and they see the government spending billions to keep the 1% happy. I dont think there is any of the 1% on this forum.
    I want to live in a republic where the country is ran for the public
    where the top level of earners have culpability like the rest of us

I have been down there talking to them, they are all decent normal people who just think, the economic system needs a bit of change, I dont think anyone wants to move to communisim. They are protesting in hope that people will support them and changes can be made. People on here are more than willing to complain about lack of jobs, poor selection of shops, pubs, restaurants here, the council should do this, do that, the government blah blah blah....yet they do F-all about it, dont pressuize their reps, bad-mouth everything, an in general do nothing when somebody attempts to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hoffmans wrote: »
    not sure what the occupy freemen crazies are up to this evening but they seem to be up around the christmas lights cermony, with one dressed as a santa chanting anti capitalist stuff through a megafone, very confusing for the kids around, as some are running over to the anti capitalist nut shaking his hand.. just hope hes vetted....prob not tho..

Was it this guy?

bad-santa-image.jpg

Nypd wrote: »
    Yeah your right no time to visit, it's called a job and a life
    If you don't have one get the other !!

I have both, luckily, but 20+% of the Waterford city workforce are deprived of an at least one, and probably both, of those things, against their will. So your spiritual advice, profound and all though it is, is applicable to a shrinking proportion of the population (which is kind of the point). Now it so happens that a good few unemployed people are joining the occupy protest, do they at least get some respect, since they can't do much else of any use.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now it so happens that a good few unemployed people are joining the occupy protest, do they at least get some respect, since they can't do much else of any use.

Looking for a job would help. Especially if they are claiming any benefits from the state.

This protest is serving absolutely no purpose and having no effect. The other occupy movements created more of a stir anyway, and even that isn't impacting on how the government does its business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 !3theraven

Sully wrote: »
    Looking for a job would help. Especially if they are claiming any benefits from the state.

This protest is serving absolutely no purpose and having no effect. The other occupy movements created more of a stir anyway, and even that isn't impacting on how the government does its business.

Are you seriously suggesting anyone receiving benifits from the state has no right to engage in protest or let their voice be heard? And how would you know if they re looking for a job or not? have you taken the time to go and speak to some of those about their situation? are you aware not everyone there is unemployed? and for those who are unfortunately unemployed have been going into fas daily seeking employment, but guess what thats near zero to nil jobs out there, so its very easy for you to be Judgemental of people unemployed through no fault of their own wanting their voices to heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What if some of those protestors are getting rent allowance and are now living full time in those tents?

How do you know they are not looking for jobs? That's a pretty sweeping insinuation, isn't it? During the boom we had 4.5% unemployment, now we have 14%, doesn't that kind of indicate that most of the people on the dole today would work if they could?

Maybe you feel empowered because you have the 'ear' of such political luminaries as Paudie Coffey, but I wouldn't hold your breath for either him or his party making any greater impression on world affairs than the occupy movement. Far less I would say. The political systems in Europe are in a bind, prime ministers are being toppled by a combination of the markets and the troika and in some cases replaced by technocrats of one sort or another. Regular democracy is on its knees and Merkel and co. will soon be asking us to sign away the whole lot in the treaty to end all treaties sometime soon. And Fine Gael will sign.

The only kind of political action that is possible is grass roots action. The occupy protest is only getting going. If it gets nowhere, it'll just be replaced by something else, because people are not going to put up with this situation forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I cannot believe the attitude of people here. These people are trying to create a movement and change for the betterment of society. If its supported enough, just like in Egypt et al, change will happen.

They are raising awareness on a local scale of the issues/problems with the existing economic system.
    They are part of a global movement to highlight the inequities in society.
    If the movement in Waterford open up peoples eyes to the pathetic way governments have ran the country for the top 1% and have jumped into bed with big business then it will be a success.
    Educating people on these issues is important, people can then get onto their reps and pressurise them to make some change and vote accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

There will be a march in Dublin on Saturday (organised by trade unions). It should be fairly mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How do you know they are not looking for jobs? That's a pretty sweeping insinuation, isn't it? During the boom we had 4.5% unemployment, now we have 14%, doesn't that kind of indicate that most of the people on the dole today would work if they could?

Maybe you feel empowered because you have the 'ear' of such political luminaries as Paudie Coffey, but I wouldn't hold your breath for either him or his party making any greater impression on world affairs than the occupy movement. Far less I would say. The political systems in Europe are in a bind, prime ministers are being toppled by a combination of the markets and the troika and in some cases replaced by technocrats of one sort or another. Regular democracy is on its knees and Merkel and co. will soon be asking us to sign away the whole lot in the treaty to end all treaties sometime soon. And Fine Gael will sign.

The only kind of political action that is possible is grass roots action. The occupy protest is only getting going. If it gets nowhere, it'll just be replaced by something else, because people are not going to put up with this situation forever.

Sweeping? Me? How odd, because if we applied your logic than your previous post would be just the same. You basically implied that the unemployed at this event (not a protest, far from it) had nothing better to do. I pointed out that they do - look for jobs.

I never said that every single unemployed person wasn't looking for a job. I'm assuming that your post didn't mean that every single unemployed person had nothing better to do than join this sit in. Swings both ways.

Advertisement