Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm curious to know what happens after the budget comes in.. Will more people join them or still not care?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dazftw wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what happens after the budget comes in.. Will more people join them or still not care?

I think most people look at the protest and see it as completely pointless. Plus, most people understand and knew that there would be cuts and it wasn't going to be an easy budget. They will take a hit and while pissed, will probably understand it simply needs to be done and we were well warned.

Not making savings or cuts, results in our financial aid (remember we are running the country on money from the EU/IMF as we cant pay our own way) runs out. Country cant pay its way which means that any government will need to look at much bigger cuts and hikes in taxes to start getting things on track. Then you will see a proper protest, not a "lets sit down here and do nothing - that will help" "protest".

This is a huge reason why these groups are not getting much support in Ireland. Most people understand the situation we are in and understand that its not going to be easy getting out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    Sweeping? Me? How odd, because if we applied your logic than your previous post would be just the same. You basically implied that the unemployed at this event (not a protest, far from it) had nothing better to do. I pointed out that they do - look for jobs.

There has been a recent invention caused 'newspapers'. In these 'newspapers' are things call job ads. These 'newspapers' are quite useful, are highly portable, and can even be read in a tent!!!

Amazing, eh? I suggest you try read them (and not just the Sindo). That way you would realise that there is huge flexibility within the parameters of the IMF plan, then plan itself can (and has been) renegotiated by the government, and the ECB is unlikely to retaliate to the burning of unguaranteed anglo bondholders.

But stereotyping and following a party line (which both FGers and occupiers are guilty of) saves people the hassle of thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Schmuckupie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

dayshah wrote: »
    There has been a recent invention caused 'newspapers'...I suggest you try read them (and not just the Sindo). That way you would realise that there is huge flexibility within the parameters of the IMF plan, then plan itself can (and has been) renegotiated by the government, and the ECB is unlikely to retaliate to the burning of unguaranteed anglo bondholders.

Tell that to Papandreou. In a last-ditch attempt to resist the Euro-powers-that-be, he offered his people a referendum on the eurozone package. Merkel's threatening response has forced him to resign, and Greece's leaders are now trying to form a new government! Just what they needed in an already serious crisis.

We the people voted in the government that borrowed and wasted money. We voted for Nice (Twice!) and Lisbon! (I say "we", but I voted no, no and no!)
    Do you suggest we can simply say "We're not paying it back, so there." and they'll say, "ah go on then, off with you"?
    You're right in saying the ECB won't retalliate; they take their orders from those who will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Schmuckupie

Such an odd/random reply I think it's class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If I was one of those cupcake places id be delivering hand made occu pies. Great pr for the bakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

one sign there caught my eye today passing "WE DIDNT SHARE THE BIG PROFITS SO WHY SHOULD WE SHARE THE BIG LOSSES" so true..............

SheFiend wrote: »
    Do you suggest we can simply say "We're not paying it back, so there." and they'll say, "ah go on then, off with you"?
    You're right in saying the ECB won't retalliate; they take their orders from those who will.

The ECB are independent, so don't take their orders from anyone.

The ECB want 2 things: stability, and the money they lent to the Irish banks back.

If Ireland burns the unguaranteed anglo bondholders the ECB loses nothing, and to retaliate would cause more instability than the burning of the anglo bondholders. They would be biting their nose to spite their face. (Largely the same for BoI, but it would require more legal preparation).

If Ireland burns the guaranteed bank bondholders then the ECB would lose money. In this case it might be worth their while to retaliate. But then the increased instability could cause the ECB to lose even more money, so they might not retaliate. This would be a gamble. But when asking to burn or not to burn, we can take an option of just partially burning.

If we decide to burn the sovereign bondholder, the ECB will tell us to just go fvck ourselves. I definitely don't think we should do this.

Anyway, there is still over $1bn in unguaranteed Anglo bonds. It might be small in comparison to the overall bill, but better in our pockets than in the vulture funds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

seanybiker wrote: »
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    Schmuckupie

Such an odd/random reply I think it's class.
    ala Mel Brooks the master of one line put downs, my wife taught me!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Live aid it aint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Not even self aid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Dermot is sound. Funny fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

He should be singing Ghost town!

A few from the Waterford Occupy up at today's march in Dublin.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    A few from the Waterford Occupy up at today's march in Dublin.

So who's minding the quay then? hmm free tent anyone?

Most of those tents were probably empty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Massive coup for the Occupy movement there getting Dr. Evil to bang out a tune:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

A few flakes of a hurley wouldnt go astray on these lads, occupy me nutsak at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Saw them in the paper during the week. Nearly drove me palm through my head when I saw the lad in the guy fawkes mask. Pathetic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice storm for them tonight if the wind keeps up, should make it an interesting night to sleep in a tent (if they actually are).

If we had the snow we had last year I'd say they'd have packed up after about a week,

They have a better main tent they all hang out in, but you can no longer see in as much.

Still no sign of any life in those tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Waterford Lad

mike65 wrote: »
    A couple of dole cheat/crusties/lefties are on WLR right now.

;)
    Has anyone actually taken the time to go down to the camp and meet any of the people there? It seems to me that there are a lot of sweeping assumptions made on this forum, without many of you all going to see what its all about!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Has anyone actually taken the time to go down to the camp and meet any of the people there? It seems to me that there are a lot of sweeping assumptions made on this forum, without many of you all going to see what its all about!

Nice one, you have internet access in those tents do you?
    Handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nice one, you have internet access in those tents do you?
    Handy

It's called access with in-tent.....:p

Advertisement