Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Waterford Lad

dayshah wrote: »
    A few from the Waterford Occupy up at today's march in Dublin.
    I've been down there and they are a group of people who want to bring change to a world that is quickly going down the toilet. These people are raising awarness of what is happening in the world, not just the main stream rubbish we are force fed from the news channells, they are in the hands of the BIG guys and only tell us a load of drivel. We have no idea of whats really going on. Educate yourselves, dig around the big wide net, the real agenda is there if you care to look for it. Its Much bigger than bank bail outs and all of that we're being fed by the news media. that is just the start of it. You (all of us) are being set up for a one world government and if that happens, believe me the austerity measures being put in place will seem like a walk in the park. Wake up, smell the coffee, and STAND up for yourselves the way the Occupy movement is, for you and everyone else on the planet at this time, We are Humanity and the resources of the planet are for ALL of us, to sustain life, not traded for huge profit while 'the 99%' are left to rot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I've been down there and they are a group of people who want to bring change to a world that is quickly going down the toilet. These people are raising awarness of what is happening in the world, not just the main stream rubbish we are force fed from the news channells, they are in the hands of the BIG guys and only tell us a load of drivel. We have no idea of whats really going on. Educate yourselves, dig around the big wide net, the real agenda is there if you care to look for it. Its Much bigger than bank bail outs and all of that we're being fed by the news media. that is just the start of it. You (all of us) are being set up for a one world government and if that happens, believe me the austerity measures being put in place will seem like a walk in the park. Wake up, smell the coffee, and STAND up for yourselves the way the Occupy movement is, for you and everyone else on the planet at this time, We are Humanity and the resources of the planet are for ALL of us, to sustain life, not traded for huge profit while 'the 99%' are left to rot!

so the way to bring change to the big wide world is to put a few guys in a tent down at the clock tower in waterford..... mmmmm I am not convinced....

Max Powers wrote: »
    a lot of people on here are slating the people down at 'occupy Waterford' like they are a band of tree hugging hippies. The movement is more than that, all sectors of society feel very strongly that the economic route we are taking isnt working. Some of the US news channels fell into the trap thinking that this was some collection of lay-abouts in occupy wall street, only when they started interviewing those down there that they realised that a lot of these people are carpenters, teachers and office workers whose company had gone bust and they see the government spending billions to keep the 1% happy. I dont think there is any of the 1% on this forum.
    I want to live in a republic where the country is ran for the public
    where the top level of earners have culpability like the rest of us

I have been down there talking to them, they are all decent normal people who just think, the economic system needs a bit of change, I dont think anyone wants to move to communisim. They are protesting in hope that people will support them and changes can be made. People on here are more than willing to complain about lack of jobs, poor selection of shops, pubs, restaurants here, the council should do this, do that, the government blah blah blah....yet they do F-all about it, dont pressuize their reps, bad-mouth everything, an in general do nothing when somebody attempts to change it.
    As I said I have been at the camp and they're a decent bunch, trying to raise awarnes among the public. The occupy movement is now in more that 2500 cities around the globe, NOT just the camp on the quay. Paying the banks is like paying the gamgling debts of someone who has gambled all they have and the government saying "its ok, we'll take if from the people of the country so you don't have lose out."
    One of the solutions being offered is to withdraw from the EU, that would take them out of our business and we could get producing food here in this country without the EU 'quotas'. We could fish our waters as much as we wish, again without EU quotas making us throw back hundreds of perfectly good fish. We take back our gas and oil, do you know there is billions of euro worth going to the big companies for........... NOTHING! Ireland doesn't get one cent for OUR gas and oil, if we were alllowed to use our own natural resources we would be a rich country, check out how it works in Norway, which by the way gets 25% of our gas and oil. All the people on the occupy camp on the quay are trying to edcate us that another way is possibe. Educate yourselves. you will see that another world is possible.

robtri wrote: »
    so the way to bring change to the big wide world is to put a few guys in a tent down at the clock tower in waterford..... mmmmm I am not convinced....
    Its NOT just a few guys in a tent on the Quay, Occupy is now in over 2500 cities worldwide and growing all the time, if enough people stand up and say "enough" the governments will have no choice but to listen, I doubt that a few lads on the Quay would make any difference at all, but when its part of a movement of hundreds of thousands of people coming together from all walks of life around the globe, IT CANNOTT FAIL!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford Lad, you are doing nothing to help your cause.
    I suggest that you tell the people in the tents that you've come onto boards.ie and started to post as you are a PR liability.

Of course you appear to be either a troll or simply a zealot for the cause as you believe it just can't fail.....good luck with that :pac:

• Advertisement

Its NOT just a few guys in a tent on the Quay, Occupy is now in over 2500 cities worldwide and growing all the time, if enough people stand up and say "enough" the governments will have no choice but to listen, I doubt that a few lads on the Quay would make any difference at all, but when its part of a movement of hundreds of thousands of people coming together from all walks of life around the globe, IT CANNOTT FAIL!

in the grand scheme of things it is nothing, a few hundred thousand globally is nothing out of a global population of 6billion plus....

and what message should the government listen too and change????

how many living in tents in waterford have full time jobs and families (spouse and kids)???

As I said I have been at the camp and they're a decent bunch, trying to raise awarnes among the public. The occupy movement is now in more that 2500 cities around the globe, NOT just the camp on the quay. Paying the banks is like paying the gamgling debts of someone who has gambled all they have and the government saying "its ok, we'll take if from the people of the country so you don't have lose out."
    One of the solutions being offered is to withdraw from the EU, that would take them out of our business and we could get producing food here in this country without the EU 'quotas'. We could fish our waters as much as we wish, again without EU quotas making us throw back hundreds of perfectly good fish. We take back our gas and oil, do you know there is billions of euro worth going to the big companies for........... NOTHING! Ireland doesn't get one cent for OUR gas and oil, if we were alllowed to use our own natural resources we would be a rich country, check out how it works in Norway, which by the way gets 25% of our gas and oil. All the people on the occupy camp on the quay are trying to edcate us that another way is possibe. Educate yourselves. you will see that another world is possible.

and you tell us to educate ourselves????? seriously do you understand the effects of withdrawing from the EU????

in the grand scheme of things it is nothing, a few hundred thousand globally is nothing out of a global population of 6billion plus....

and what message should the government listen too and change????

how many living in tents in waterford have full time jobs and families (spouse and kids)???
    I'm not part of the camp, but I have been down there a few times, which I think the vast majority of the people here have not. There is a great change sweeping accross this world and WE are all a part of it wether we realize it or not, if the enough people stand up we can make a good world for all of us. sitting at a computer screen slagging off those who will get up and do something and which you havn't bothered to research is a very easy thing to do. There is an agenda to bring in a one world government, with the so called '1%' in charge, while we, the ordinary people will be nothing more than slaves making ever more profit for them. I for one don't want this to happen, so that is why I applaude those who have the courage of their convictions. BTW there are a lot of people at the camp who work and fit in being at the camp around that. Also people with families, who also fit time at the camp around that.

and you tell us to educate ourselves????? seriously do you understand the effects of withdrawing from the EU????
    Do you understand the effects of staying in the EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

That's the sort of talk that makes the Occupy people sound like a bunch of weirdos.

• Advertisement

I'm not part of the camp, but I have been down there a few times, which I think the vast majority of the people here have not. There is a great change sweeping accross this world and WE are all a part of it wether we realize it or not, if the enough people stand up we can make a good world for all of us. sitting at a computer screen slagging off those who will get up and do something and which you havn't bothered to research is a very easy thing to do. There is an agenda to bring in a one world government, with the so called '1%' in charge, while we, the ordinary people will be nothing more than slaves making ever more profit for them. I for one don't want this to happen, so that is why I applaude those who have the courage of their convictions. BTW there are a lot of people at the camp who work and fit in being at the camp around that. Also people with families, who also fit time at the camp around that.

rather radical thinking here, "slaves" so anyone with a job is a "slave" as they are making more profit for someone else?????

one world government... stop thats just crazy talk....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There is an agenda to bring in a one world government,

Oh Oh...now I know who you are!!!!

Hello Jim,
    Great to see you here on boards, not the biggest fan of you but sure your sisters seem nice enough.

I have to say and not heard your crap since your last appearance on the telly, so.....do tell, how will leaving the EU affect how the new world order operates?

:rolleyes:

Do you understand the effects of staying in the EU?

actually you raised the suggestion of leaving the EU and having this magical land of wealth....

I would be interested to know how the economics of setting up a new currency would work? interest rates, bond trading, current debt settlments, and so forth????

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh Oh...now I know who you are!!!!

Hello Jim,
    Great to see you here on boards, not the biggest fan of you but sure your sisters seem nice enough.

I have to say and not heard your crap since your last appearance on the telly, so.....do tell, how will leaving the EU affect how the new world order operates?

Ok I've said what I wanted to say, so why not go down and see for yourselves whats its all about instead of sitting at your screens slatting people when you really know nothing about it.

Ok I've said what I wanted to say, so why not go down and see for yourselves whats its all about instead of sitting at your screens slatting people when you really know nothing about it.

err its you that clearly know nothing about what you are talking about.

You were asked a reasonable question by robtri which you are now glossing over, refusing to answer by simply asking him another question instead and now claiming your finished talking.

If you truly believe in something one would assume you know about it and understand it, so logically one could also assume you would be able to explain it to others when asked....its not a unreasonable request I think you'll agree.

I thought you were some sort of zealot for the cause, you still very well may be however you don't appear to be a well educated zealot when it comes to the issues you claim to believe in as you can't even backup you "beliefs".

As I said before so far you've done nothing positive for the cause that you believe in by posting here.

Cabaal wrote: »
    err its you that clearly know nothing about what you are talking about.

You were asked a reasonable question by robtri which you are now glossing over, refusing to answer by simply asking him another question instead and now claiming your finished talking.

If you truly believe in something one would assume you know about it and understand it, so logically one could also assume you would be able to explain it to others when asked....its not a unreasonable request I think you'll agree.

I thought you were some sort of zealot for the cause, you still very well may be however you don't appear to be a well educated zealot when it comes to the issues you claim to believe in as you can't even backup you "beliefs".

As I said before so far you've done nothing positive for the cause that you believe in by posting here.
    I really don't want to get into some of the slagging matches I've seen on here, I simply came on to suggest that instead of sitting at the computer, (you all or some of you) go down and see what it really is all about. you all call the guys 'crazies' without attempting to educate yourselves on what the Occupy Movement is all about. There are many who are far more articulate than me and can explain far better than I can. or there are very many websites dedicated to whats really going on in the world. But trust me, the mainstream media will NOt cover it, so don't watch Sky news or some such and think that you know whats going on, if this is where you get your news, you don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I really don't want to get into some of the slagging matches I've seen on here, I simply came on to suggest that instead of sitting at the computer, (you all or some of you) go down and see what it really is all about. you all call the guys 'crazies' without attempting to educate yourselves on what the Occupy Movement is all about. There are many who are far more articulate than me and can explain far better than I can. or there are very many websites dedicated to whats really going on in the world. But trust me, the mainstream media will NOt cover it, so don't watch Sky news or some such and think that you know whats going on, if this is where you get your news, you don't
    How does one get off the computer and check the internet for answers.
    Shut your mouth and eat your dinner dilemma going on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muck_savage

sad mentality!! sit behind your computers and whinge and moan about a group of people who are tryin to open your eyes to what is goin on, to tell you that you dont have to pay these debts, fines, etc!! over half the debt owed by people in this country can be written off!! did you know you dont have to pay, parking fines, clamping fines, speeding fines etc, also credit cards, mortgages, loans can all be written off legally!!

watch link!! we can write off our entire debt if we had our gas and oil rights back!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76VOnzXQMsU

Ireland needs to wake up and stop been sheep!! make a differance!! ACT!!

did you know you dont have to pay, parking fines, clamping fines, speeding fines etc, also credit cards, mortgages, loans can all be written off legally!!

Oh I see what your doing,
    Lets take no responsibility for our actions on any level and here was me thinking when people hit 18 you were supposed to act like an adult.

Clearly not in your world....lets take a look shall we?

Your over 18 you get a loan for something stupid (boy racer car for example) and then realise you were too dumb to figure out you could pay it back....no worries you don't have to.

You get a mortgage for a 500k house in a super must have area, finally realise you are living beyond your means and can't pay for it....no worries you don't have to.

You get a credit card and run up debts by buying flat screen tv's, ipods etc...you then realise your an idiot and you can't pay it back....no worries you don't have to.

You do 80km in a 30 or 50km area (lots of children around), you get fined for acting the complete ****en idiot......no worries you don't have to pay it.

You park your car in a wheelchair parking spot, loading pay, double park on a road (Quays in Waterford anyone!), you get clamped or a parking ticket that you don't want to pay......no worries you don't have to.

Yeah, great future I can see us having if we follow your brilliant ideas*....a future where nobody takes responsibility for any of their own actions.

*Not so brilliant after all

Oh do please tell, how does your utopia world work?

- How is healthcare funded
    - How are county councils funded (incl everything they do)
    - How do you encourage employment
    - How would Ireland (& Europe) recover from the loss of the Euro
    - How would you recover Ireland's export market after it has crashed and burned the above happened.
    - How do you make the banks work when you've made all their loan, credit card etc etc books useless and worthless (after all you don't have to pay anything back).

Finally answer me this....how do you propose to completely re-engineer economics on a global scale without setting back the planet decades without causing worldwide infrastructure collapse, deaths, famine..basically you name it.

It seems to be that all this BS about (ACT Now!) without actually any logical, solid properly thought out alternative that fully takes into the local AND worldwide ramifications of any such actions stems from some sort of anarchists wet dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

sad mentality!! sit behind your computers and whinge and moan about a group of people who are tryin to open your eyes to what is goin on, to tell you that you dont have to pay these debts, fines, etc!! over half the debt owed by people in this country can be written off!! did you know you dont have to pay, parking fines, clamping fines, speeding fines etc, also credit cards, mortgages, loans can all be written off legally!!

watch link!! we can write off our entire debt if we had our gas and oil rights back!!

Ireland needs to wake up and stop been sheep!! make a differance!! ACT!![/QUOTE

Gawd, how naive can you get, you probably think you've discovered sex to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

131585348413.Epic_Face_Palm.jpg

You do know your sitting behind your computer whinging at us?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I just wish they would tidy up the place,straighten out the sign´s and tarp that is hanging between the two trees so at least it look´s organised,at the moment is looks very ramshackle.Imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I just wish they would tidy up the place,straighten out the sign´s and tarp that is hanging between the two trees so at least it look´s organised,at the moment is looks very ramshackle.Imho

Maybe they all got blown away during the night? Rough out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

over half the debt owed by people in this country can be written off!!

If that were the case I'd have to write off half my savings too.

The famous freeman stuff.... not my name, no contract stuff??????
    that stuff always makes me laugh....
    especially when the guys spouting this stuff, go down and sign on using their name ... very funny ..

I do like that the majority of these freemen down on the quays.. Ocuuping Waterford... complain about the system, complain about hte government being the big bad guys... yet every week still collect their dole... they are quite happy to live off the big bad government and put more pressure on the working joe in this state... but hey thats all ok its the governments fault ... comical

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bananaface

i might be wrong but i figured that the people staying at the occupy camps would not be allowed to get their job seekers benefit?
    My sister was on job seekers after being made redundant, she had to go to hospital for 8 days and they stopped her payments for those days as she was not available to work.
    Surely the people camped out at the occupy camps are not available to work and are not able to actively look for work if this is what they are doing with their time, so they would probably not be getting paid I assume? I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It looked like they were packing up today at about 17:30 when I passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cocoshovel wrote: »
    It looked like they were packing up today at about 17:30 when I passed?

Its got really cold the last couple of days.

looksee wrote: »
    Its got really cold the last couple of days.

We certainly don't want them to get a cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Advertisement