Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

All gone home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cabaal wrote: »
    We certainly don't want them to get a cold.

They'll be grand, i'm sure they all have medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

All gone home?

Have they? shame,

council have just erected a very large tent for them opposite the granville.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The vagrancy laws should be looked at at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Their will be a few bands down there Saturday in support of the Occupy Waterford action. Good work to all, keep it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Max Powers wrote: »
    Their will be a few bands down there Saturday in support of the Occupy Waterford action. Good work to all, keep it up.

Without sounding like a prick and an argumentative trollix, how exactly is it good work? What exactly has been achieved so far? They are there a while now running this campaign, and I am curious what has changed or what is different as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

They should hang a Waterford on ice sign on their tent and charge a tenner in, that will fund the cause !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Sully wrote: »
    Without sounding like a prick and an argumentative trollix, how exactly is it good work? What exactly has been achieved so far? They are there a while now running this campaign, and I am curious what has changed or what is different as a result?

Ah here now! Rome wasnt built in a day! :D
    I feel I have to back the occupy guy up on one point, we simply gave away a vast natural resouce in that corrib gas field. I dont think anyone realises how much gas is in there and obviously this is the reason why shell are persisting with it even with all the trouble and delays and controversy.
    There is 16,820,206,946.928m³ of recoverable gas in that field, europe as of 2008 paid €370 per 1000 cubic metres of gas, which Im sure has risen significantly since then(but cannot find figures). That means that In the corrib gas field there is 16,820,206.95 units of gas worth €370 each. Or in laymans terms:

€6,223,476,570.36 worth of gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One of the lads down at occupy used to be a neighbour of mine years ago. His brother is a complete prick. Anyways. Yer man I know down at occupy got caught robbing loads of bangers on a certain person I also know who is in Australia probably for a while. The occupy chap used to be sound years ago, dunno what he's like since he got outta prison. Fair play he done his time so that's it. Still a donkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

And what have FG changed over the past 8 months? They still paid off the Anglo bondholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Funny story.
    I walked by their "camp" last weekend and one of them was sitting under a sign. The sign was about poison and/or pollution.
    Thing is, he was sucking on a fag AND had a child sitting on his lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

O Riain wrote: »
    I feel I have to back the occupy guy up on one point, we simply gave away a vast natural resouce in that corrib gas field. I dont think anyone realises how much gas is in there and obviously this is the reason why shell are persisting with it even with all the trouble and delays and controversy.
    There is 16,820,206,946.928m³ of recoverable gas in that field, europe as of 2008 paid €370 per 1000 cubic metres of gas, which Im sure has risen significantly since then(but cannot find figures). That means that In the corrib gas field there is 16,820,206.95 units of gas worth €370 each. Or in laymans terms:

€6,223,476,570.36 worth of gas

Sorry to burst your bubble but 2008 figures for the price of gas are extremely out of date. Since May 2008 the price of gas has fallen by about 68%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

O Riain wrote: »

[SIZE="7"]€6,223,476,570.36 worth of gas[/SIZE]

Sorry to burst your bubble but 2008 figures for the price of gas are extremely out of date. Since May 2008 the price of gas has fallen by about 68%.
    hardly for the domestic user, electricity is a complete rip off & they talkin of collecting this house tax through the esb bills now....

dayshah wrote: »
    And what have FG changed over the past 8 months? They still paid off the Anglo bondholders.

You have not answered my question. This topic isn't discussing Fine Gael and any changes over the past eight months.

I asked what this campaign has achieved so far. They are there trying to get the government to change their approach, I assume, but I want to know what has changed. They were told earlier they were doing a good job. I'm really curious, what good work was achieved so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They could get their dole cut off for not being available for work, if someone reported them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id like to know where everyone gets there information from? How do you know they're ALL on the dole?

The time I went down and I'm presuming 90% of the people posting here about them haven't. They told me they cant stay full time because of other commitments like a job and kids but they still want to give some support.

Waterford people are so cynical its crazy.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

One way is the get a welfare inspector to visit the site to ask for everyone's PPS numbers. Then they can be checked up to see if they're illegally claiming dole payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Nolanger wrote: »
    One way is the get a welfare inspector to visit the site to ask for everyone's PPS numbers. Then they can be checked up to see if they're illegally claiming dole payments.

Lmfao yeah as if they have to give him their pps numbers, What they are doing is useless and probably going to do no good, but ffs I know a few of them and they are employed so assuming they are all on the dole is typical of some posters on this site. They will give it up when the ice is coming in and that will probably be it, but at least they are doing something even tho its stupid.

They are at least trying, you never even know something good might come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Venom Viper

From different people I know who have been Inside the occupy waterford camp, freeman on the land Ideas are very heavily pushed and promoted' Ideas and beliefs as such you don't have to pay parking fines or speeding fines, and you don't have to pay motor tax and how to deregister your birth cert' that is what is really being promoted at occupy waterford'for anyone not aware of what the freeman movement is' check this info on their youtube channel (Learn all about your true rights as a Sovereign on the land of Eire and further afield. Learn why you don't have to pay rates, fines, taxes, mortgages, credit cards, overdrafts, term loans) and check the two videos on how not to pay parking fines and how not to take responsibility for your actions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freemenofwaterford?feature=watch

They are also offering debt free advice to people who come into the camp, there's two concerns I have about that'do those giving debt free advice at occupy waterford have any qualifications and training in that area to giving people advice on debt? and two do they even have any experience in dealing with debt,getting out of debt succesfully, have they ever even in debt in their lives?

My overall thoughts wrong movement by the wrong people going in the wrong direction with the freeman on the land approach'the advice they give does far more harm then good anyone who has ever taken their advice in dealing with fines or not paying motor taxes has gotten even heavier fines and longer jail sentences' if people were take their other advice on board and apply the logic of deregister your birth cert' how not to consent to be goverened' the consequences and implications would be no access to social welfare' no access to medical cards' no access to rent allowance' no access to travel passes' I know times are tough now in the present' if people want to try and do something go and take part in marches like the one last saturday and other ones after the budget' but please don't waste your time and energy getting Involved or listening to any freeman nonesense at occupy waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

From different people I know who have been Inside the occupy waterford camp, freeman on the land Ideas are very heavily pushed and promoted' Ideas and beliefs as such you don't have to pay parking fines or speeding fines, and you don't have to pay motor tax and how to deregister your birth cert' that is what is really being promoted at occupy waterford'for anyone not aware of what the freeman movement is' check this info on their youtube channel (Learn all about your true rights as a Sovereign on the land of Eire and further afield. Learn why you don't have to pay rates, fines, taxes, mortgages, credit cards, overdrafts, term loans) and check the two videos on how not to pay parking fines and how not to take responsibility for your actions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freemenofwaterford?feature=watch

They are also offering debt free advice to people who come into the camp, there's two concerns I have about that'do those giving debt free advice at occupy waterford have any qualifications and training in that area to giving people advice on debt? and two do they even any experience in dealing with debt,getting out of debt succesfully, have they ever even in debt in their lives?

My overall thoughts wrong movement by the wrong people going in the wrong direction with the freeman on the land approach'the advice they give does far more harm then good anyone who has ever taken their advice in dealing with fines or not paying motor taxes has gotten even heavier fines and longer jail sentences' if people were take their other advice on board and apply the logic of deregister your birth cert' how not to consent to be goverened' the consequences and implications would be no access to social welfare' no access to medical cards' no access to rent allowance' no access to travel passes' I know times are tough now in the present' if people want to try and do something go and take part in marches like the one last saturday and other ones after the budget' but please don't waste your time and energy getting Involved or listening to any freeman nonesense at occupy waterford.

You have no full stops in any of that I had to stop reading it.

All that **** though I hate.. De-register your birth cert? You don't have to take responsibility for you own actions? Your basically putting "im a dummy" label on Irish people. Cause you have to be seriously stupid to get a parking ticket or go over on your credit card.

That has got nothing to do with anything the occupy movement is about!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

mrgardener wrote: »
    Funny story.
    I walked by their "camp" last weekend and one of them was sitting under a sign. The sign was about poison and/or pollution.
    Thing is, he was sucking on a fag AND had a child sitting on his lap!

No need for homophobia now.

:pac:

You have not answered my question. This topic isn't discussing Fine Gael and any changes over the past eight months.

I asked what this campaign has achieved so far. They are there trying to get the government to change their approach, I assume, but I want to know what has changed. They were told earlier they were doing a good job. I'm really curious, what good work was achieved so far?

They stopped my bike getting robbed when I leave it over night at the clock tower.

More than Deasy ever did for me.

Since when was it prohibited for dole claimants to go camping? And since when did they stop selling newspapers (with job ads) to the Occupiers?

They stopped my bike getting robbed when I leave it over night at the clock tower.

More than Deasy ever did for me.

Had a fair idea you couldn't point me towards anything that they did of use.

Though I am delighted that they kept your bike safe. Some scum around eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

They are also offering debt free advice to people who come into the camp, there's two concerns I have about that'do those giving debt free advice at occupy waterford have any qualifications and training in that area to giving people advice on debt? and two do they even any experience in dealing with debt,getting out of debt succesfully, have they ever even in debt in their lives?

Sure they do.
    I'm fairly sure that the debt free plan goes something like this.

Step 1. don't pay any of your debts.
    Step 2. Have every thing you own repossessed and get evicted.
    Step 3. Live in a tent on the quay.

Had a fair idea you couldn't point me towards anything that they did of use.

Though I am delighted that they kept your bike safe. Some scum around eh?

Yeah some scum bag tried rob my bike. Some scumbags did rob about €20,000 from myself and everyone else in the country.

Occupy are an opposition group. They have kept the fact that people are unhappy with the debt situation in people's minds. As an opposition movement there isn't much they can do, except highlight the issues of debt, which is what they aim to do. They provide an outlet for people's anger.

When Fine Gael were in opposition and occupied the opposition benches they didn't do much more (in fact they went along, and continue to go along, with core FF policies). However FG didn't offer to occupy the opposition benches for dole money, and I doubt the Occupy people are entitled to a gilt edged pension when they end their encampment.

I'm not part of the occupy group, and think a lot of their stuff is silly. But I 100% back their right to protest, and I oppose the lies being put out against them.

Since when was it prohibited for dole claimants to go camping? And since when did they stop selling newspapers (with job ads) to the Occupiers?
    Since they made a claim for jobseekers and signed a form stating that they are available for and actively seeking work. By law a welfare inspector can visit the protest site and check out if anyone there are claiming welfare. Surprised it hasn't already happened?

Since they made a claim for jobseekers and signed a form stating that they are available for and actively seeking work. By law a welfare inspector can visit the protest site and check out if anyone there are claiming welfare. Surprised it hasn't already happened?

You can actively look for work by using an iPhone or checking the ads in the paper. Also a lot of the occupy crowd regularly go home.

• Advertisement

Yeah some scum bag tried rob my bike. Some scumbags did rob about €20,000 from myself and everyone else in the country.

Occupy are an opposition group. They have kept the fact that people are unhappy with the debt situation in people's minds. As an opposition movement there isn't much they can do, except highlight the issues of debt, which is what they aim to do. They provide an outlet for people's anger.

When Fine Gael were in opposition and occupied the opposition benches they didn't do much more (in fact they went along, and continue to go along, with core FF policies). However FG didn't offer to occupy the opposition benches for dole money, and I doubt the Occupy people are entitled to a gilt edged pension when they end their encampment.

I'm not part of the occupy group, and think a lot of their stuff is silly. But I 100% back their right to protest, and I oppose the lies being put out against them.

Thats a no to my question so, thanks! :)
    You can actively look for work by using an iPhone or checking the ads in the paper. Also a lot of the occupy crowd regularly go home.

I would hope that you are joking here. If you think sitting around in a tent all day scanning a newspaper and/or an iPhone for jobs in your area is satisfactory than you are very much mistaken. I'm sure that an inspector would like to see a bit more effort, including handing in CVs to various businesses (which have positions, better than nothing) and going for interviews etc. and not just sitting on your arse all day complaining.

For a movement that has been there sometime now, they have achieved absolutely nothing. The debt / financial crisis is evident to us all and we don't need a group of people sitting in a tent to remind us of that. Many of those who have jobs can see it in their wage slip, their bank statements, their reminder notices for overdue / due payments on stuff like mortgage's, credit cards, household bills etc. Plus the fact its on every single newspaper, even tabloids, and you cant miss it on the TV either.

Advertisement