Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beardie Shedding

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone with a bit more reptile experience can help me out,

Our male beardie (somewhere between 10 - 12 months old) has started shedding around his head, this I was expecting but i'm not sure if his behavior is normal or not :confused:

He's quite lazy normally and dosnt eat as much as the female in with him (he has more interest in her than eating) but he's only had a few locusts over the past few days.

Then last night he went into his hide to sleep around half 8 (usual behavior) but i'm just in from work and he hasn't moved a whole pile since, normally he'll spend the day under the heat lamp.

Is the lack of appetite & lack of interest in food normal while shedding or should i think about bringing him to the vet? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sounds completely normal during a shed to be honest.Mine was the same--didnt eat anything and was kinda like lethargic.

Make sure you bathe him though in warm water about an inch deep--it makes the shed that bit easier for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sounds completely normal during a shed to be honest.Mine was the same--didnt eat anything and was kinda like lethargic.

Make sure you bathe him though in warm water about an inch deep--it makes the shed that bit easier for them.

Cheers hellrazer,

He's sleeping now so I won't disturb him for the night but its bath time tomorrow, tried 2 give him a bath Sunday but he wasn't having it (normally he'd jump outta ur hand 2 get in the water)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

sounds normal ,
    what ever you do dont pic the shed , he will get it off ,

bathing him will help remove it ,
    also lack of interest in the food , with the cold weather coming in he could also be trying to bruminate (like hybernation but they stay awake )

The form is a lot better today anyway, arrived home from work and he was chasing her around the viv looking for some action :p

Elbow wrote: »
    The form is a lot better today anyway, arrived home from work and he was chasing her around the viv looking for some action :p

all sounds good , when their tempature drops and they kool down they are less active ,

• Advertisement

heres 2 of my dragons messin about

antocann wrote: »
    heres 2 of my dragons messing

Yup that's pretty much the scene in our viv every half an hour

Out of interest how many locusts/crickets do ur beardies eat every day?

Since we got them (about a month ago) she seems 2 eat 10 times as much as he does.
    He'd loose all intrest after 2 or 3 locusts and that'd be him for the day (not a veg fan at all) where as she'd have a few locusts then get stuck in the veg before tapping on the glass for more locusts

well i have 7 beardies to feed , and 2 rescues possibly coming friday lol

i feed them live food every second day , what ever they will eat in about 5 minutes , usualy they get tired of it haha i give them a variety of live food , worms crickets ect , and as a treat i would give them a pinkie each but not too often as they are realy fattening for them
    , and they get fresh fruit and veg every day ,

also if you are having trouble gething one to eat fruit and veg try a vivicator , they are cheap online , moves food like its real and makes sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Probably Brumating... My guy hasnt moved in 4 days

Advertisement