Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting up weight after taking up cycling ?

• 01-11-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey lads,
    Has anyone else noticed that theve put up weight since they started cycling ? or is it only me ? :) i started out 2 years ago at 9 stone and now weigh in at over 10 stone and im only 5'9 ! i started to lose weight at first but now seem to put it on, is it just the muscle ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How old are you? If you are young, it could just be that you are growing/filling out anyway, it would be difficult to attribute the weight gain to cycling alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

You are eating more.
    More food = more weight
    Less food = less weight
    A lot of people don't seem to get it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are eating more.
    More food = more weight
    Less food = less weight
    A lot of people don't seem to get it.
    It's certainly not that simple though - energy expended also comes into the equation, and that should increase when taking up cycling (unless at the expense of another physical activity)

The point is that some people over compensate for the additional energy they are burning - effectively the extra energy consumed exceeds the extra energy expended

OP - if you maintain your pre-cycling diet, I would expect you to lose some weight. You will also find you tone up more as body fat turns to "heavier" muscle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm sub-10 stone too. Haven't put on any extra weight, even though I'm definitely a bit more toned. I'm trying to put on some extra pounds, but haven't been able to get over 10 stone despite trying for the last 4 years or so :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

haven't been able to get over 10 stone despite trying for the last 4 years or so :o

Seriously? All you have to do is eat more and create a calorie surplus. You could use eating nuts, a pint of milk with 2 raw eggs mixed in first thing in the morning and other things that will put it on healthily enough. You ll soon put on a few pounds. Do some weights in the evenings too. I think you should pay a visit to the health & fitness forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Or you could get really big breast implants

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

At 5'9 with a weight of 10 stone your BMI is 20.6 which is at the lower end of normal.
    At 9 stone it was 18.6 which is seriously underweight to the point of being dangerous......
    You are healthier now then you were then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

RobFowl wrote: »
    At 5'9 with a weight of 10 stone your BMI is 20.6 which is at the lower end of normal.
    At 9 stone it was 18.6 which is seriously underweight to the point of being dangerous......
    You are healthier now then you were then

ffs I wish I had your problems.........193cm and xxxkg.....too embarrassed to say... in fact I have a talking weighing scales. I stood on it the other morning and it said "1 at a time pls"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Im a Christmas dinner away from 19stone, shite

Advertisement