Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Collection - Greenstar rate increase

Options
  • 01-11-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I see Greenstar are increasing their rates by €4 or €5.

Will the others do the same I wonder? Wiser and Country Clean...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well if it's a charge increase imposed on them by the council for landfill etc then more than likely yes, others will follow suit.
    Did you contact them and ask what the reason was for the increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

well if it's a charge increase imposed on them by the council for landfill etc then more than likely yes, others will follow suit.
    Did you contact them and ask what the reason was for the increase?

Yes and Yes it is.

Others may not necessarily follow suit. Was just wondering if anyone had heard of similar increases from the others anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

I contacted them yesterday, because we paid for our year of service up front and were unsure about whether we should expect a bill to cover the increased charge. This is what they emailed back to me:

The letter you received is not a price increase but a government levy that must be passed onto customers. The €5 is from 1st September 2011 – 31st December 2011.

You will be notified in writing over the coming months of any government charges that may be applied.

This is something that applies to all Waste Management Companies that must be passed onto customers.

So yes, according to what they're saying, all the refuse removal companies will be doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, looks like we'll all be hit, just another way for the Government to shaft us. For an even greater shafting just wait for the December budget :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Tried to do the maths but they didn't really add up nicely.

they say 50 € per 1 tonne.
    http : // verde.ie/news/waste-charges-set-rise

now I wasn't able to weight myself but I already thought that 100KG per bin is pretty much.
    http : //www.davidgray.com.au/files/240_STD_Bin_Specifications_QS26.pdf
    here they say LOAD CAPACITY 96 kg

so lets say 1000 Kg (1 tonne) / 100KG max bin load = 10 max loaded bins
    then
    5 EUR per bin * 10 bin = 50 EUR.

Now lets eliminate any other clarities.
    Do they charge us now 5 EUR more per month which is about 2 bins per month then it might be about ok or do they charge us per bin as per what I believe to understand out of the letter. Per bin definitively will be a nice top-up of profit for greenstar

Lets give them a few days and see what the competition will do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Okay, I know this is a bit random, but I don't want to start a new thread. We've moved into a new flat that's with Greenstar. We've now got 3 bins - a small green one, a small purple one and a big green one with Dry Recyclables written on it. Is the purple one for glass? Also, I can't get the PDF to work from their website for the collection days in the city centre - can anyone help me out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

small green is for glass ,purple is for rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Faith wrote: »
    Okay, I know this is a bit random, but I don't want to start a new thread. We've moved into a new flat that's with Greenstar. We've now got 3 bins - a small green one, a small purple one and a big green one with Dry Recyclables written on it. Is the purple one for glass? Also, I can't get the PDF to work from their website for the collection days in the city centre - can anyone help me out there?

There doesn't appear to be a "city centre" collection in the titles of the PDF for the collection days.
    They only list:

Download CORK (R400) 2011 CALENDAR-COVERING-BALLYPHEANE-DONNYBROOK-MAYFIELD-SHANAKIEL

Download CORK (R410) 2011CALENDAR-COVERING-BALLINCOLLIG-COBH-GLANMIRE-MIDLETON

Download CORK (R420) 2011 CALENDAR-COVERING-BALLYVOLANE-BISHOPSTOWN-BLACKROCK-KNOCKNAHEENY

Download CORK (R430) 2011 CALENDAR-COVERING-BLARNEY-FERMOY-MAHON-PASSAGE

Download CORK (R470) 2011 CALENDAR-COVERING-PARKLANDS-MALLOW-WHITECHURCH

Ring them up and get them to add you to their text alerts. You get a text the night before a collection telling you what bins to put out (it is free). Very handy in case you forget. Of course you still see loads of people with the wrong bins out every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

just called tham today lads and i thought the monthly bin charges were going up by 4 euro but NO its only about 1 euro as the charge 5 euro is actually from sept to dec, told them i was going to shop around and they told me that I was entitled to afair price quote which was actually 24.19 a reduction of almost 3 euro a month as i pay 27 a mon th at the moment !!!! So all you people get on and tell them you want the fair price reduction if you pay monthly!!!!!

sweet, will obviously need to spend some time today to call around.

Maybe its worth to open a list for comparison.

For now from the web pages so unconfirmed of any increases:

Countryclean 25€/month
    Wiser 20€/month (small glass box)
    Greenstar 22.42€ (small plan) or 27€ (big plan) or 24.19€ special call in deal.

Does anyone know the catches or other figures? I recall one of them was trying to force me to buy their bins a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

There's very few waste companies who can afford to take a €20 per ton hit on all the waste they collect (unless they're not disposing of it correctly) so I'd expect them all to pass on the increase. Unfortunately there's another €25 per ton increase due next July so we'll be hit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Country Clean said to me they are not increasing rates at the moment and that if they do it will certainly not be €5 plus vat like greenstar.

Wiser have not come back.

CC do a €20 option for the same as what you get from Greenstar so they seem like the best option for now. If you're nice you'll get one month free for changing over aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

just signed up to wiser 50 euro for jan feb and march then 22 a month after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Greenstar have put up their prices again...they are now adding on a fuel subsidy to their price....do they think they are an airline or something?

28.49 a month now. Wiser appear to be 26.50 a month...anyone else cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Ludo wrote: »

26.50 a month...anyone else cheaper?

€26.50 from Country Clean/Collins too since the VAT increase - (city center service)
    for new customers I think you'd only get the skinny 125l bins

Hmm I got a letter from Greenstar today that they go up from 22.88 € to 23.45€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

Our annual contract with Greenstar was up at the end of March. They wanted around €350 for another year (city center - 3, 240L bins) When we called to cancel our service, telling them we wouldn't be renewing with them because we'd be switching to a cheaper competitor, I was told that the customer service reps were authorized to drop their price to €275 (for the same 3 large bins).

In the end we switched to the competitor anyway, because we'd had problems with Greenstar's customer service, but if a GS customer is interested in renewing with them and pays annually, by all means don't pay the amount they're asking for on the renewal notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ludo wrote: »
    Greenstar have put up their prices again...they are now adding on a fuel subsidy to their price....do they think they are an airline or something?

28.49 a month now. Wiser appear to be 26.50 a month...anyone else cheaper?

I'm self employed - I use diesel - I've reduced my rates to get work !! - Im thinking of switching just on principle to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got a letter from Greenstar yesterday about the Diesel surcharge. I'd a sales rep knock on the door from Country Clean last week, they're offering 3 bins (With a small refuse one) for 12 months for 15 euro a month currently for customers to switch. That's a big enough saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wexboy

got a letter saying being charged 40 cent fuel surcharge, worked it out if they empty approx 300 commercial customers per day per truck multiplied by the surcharge, then the surcharge would practically pay for the days truck fuel usage

• Advertisement
Advertisement