Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard for underlay?

• 01-11-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

After many years of disasters modernising an old bungalow I'm in need of some advice. My house flooded due to heating trouble. We dug up trenches all through the house and replaced all the pipes and rads. The downside of this is that we had to take up all of our flooring to do so, it was real timber floor layed onto 2 by 1 batons. Now that I'm back to original floor level and I've decided to go the laminate route as I cant afford to go real again my doors are all now too short. I was going to get a carpenter to splice all of the doors but another idea was put to me, use 15mm plasterboard to build up floor to old level before using under lay and putting down laminate. I can get these boards cheap but would there be any issues with doing it this way. The concrete floor is fairly uneven and I was hoping that by putting boards down this would help even things out plus stop any floor imperfections come up through underlay to the laminate. I have a friend who put sound block plasterboard on his upstairs floor before putting ply on top then laminate down, he didn't seem to have any trouble with this. Advise please.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Breffni,
    without going into any detail, trust me please and on no account take that advise about the plasterboard. It's a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

headmaster wrote: »
    Breffni,
    without going into any detail, trust me please and on no account take that advise about the plasterboard. It's a big no no.
    Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Quite simply, it will disentegrate. You have a computer, just google the make up of plasterboard, or anything else for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Why not use water bonded ply sheeting under your floor. At least it has some insulating properties as well.
    The plasterboard sounds like a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

laminate as a flooring is much less forgiving than solid on 2 by 1 so u need to get the floor leveled initially with leveling compound and then when it had dried out properly build up up on top of good quality and properly lapped and taped dpc

If the floor is leveled in this way I would be happy that the plaster board would work as it will stay flat and the laminate will stop any point loads.

Ply will not either be or stay flat and unless u fix it through the dpc then it will move.

PB is much more dimensionally stable.

However u need to level the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

OP have you made an insurance claim? Just had a leaking central heating pipe repaired that involved lifting a timber floor on battens and digging up a concrete floor. Insurance covered most of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would be surprised if any plasterboard manufacturer would recommend it for flooring use.

My concern with WBP would be that if you put it down on the concrete directly, would it be adequately ventilated?

Advertisement