Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Window

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If we got the player that Saha was at fulham or Utd (when not injured) then I will be delighted, but since he went to everton he has only ever shown fleeting moments of the player he once was...

My guess is that the money offered for Pav was just too good to turn down and rather then be left with no cover, HR moved for Saha and you cant really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

If we got the player that Saha was at fulham or Utd (when not injured) then I will be delighted, but since he went to everton he has only ever shown fleeting moments of the player he once was...

My guess is that the money offered for Pav was just too good to turn down and rather then be left with no cover, HR moved for Saha and you cant really argue with that.

I think he was good for Everton up until last season. And I think that 'Arry would prefer an off form Saha to an in form Pav, simply because 'Arry doesn't see the point in playing a lone striker who won't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Did Nelson join or not? Doesnt look like it, havent seen it conformed anywhere?

EDIT: Just seen blackburn have cancelled his contract so he will join as a free agent.

Ormus wrote: »
    I think he was good for Everton up until last season. And I think that 'Arry would prefer an off form Saha to an in form Pav, simply because 'Arry doesn't see the point in playing a lone striker who won't run.

His goal-to-apperances ratio for Everton is decent ... its the lack of apperances due to injury thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If Saha can stay somewhat fit I think he’ll do really well. Redknapp will bring the best out of him. It’s good business, peanut was excellent for Everton but unfortunately didn’t ignite in his time here.

Pav has been atrocious lately, you’d think he’d be busting a gut when he got game time but his attitude was terrible. Agreed, he did score some important goals along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    The last few transfer windows have been poor, we haven't really spent any money and is this what we have to look forward to for the next 5-10 years whilst we get the stadium in place ?

This was potentially an opportunity to kick on and compete for the title .. i fear that we have settled for 3rd/4th place this season when we could do even better... i'm not normally pessimistic but the lack of ambition in the last few transfer windows has battered my confidence :)

are you saying we are a worse team now then a few transfer windows ago?? no chance, we are a much leaner ,stronger squad now with little or no dead wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I'm saying we could have been an even stronger team than we are now

We still have an awful lot of dead wood at the club ... we also have players that are injured alot
    King
    Gallas
    Nelsen ?

We have no cover for our wingers ! .. if Ade gets injured we are left with Defoe and Saha

As i said i'm not normally pessimistic but come the summer we have got some serious buying and selling to do.

I remember Harry saying that to get the top top players we need champions league football ... we got it and still didn't get those top top players

We seem to have a short term plan from transfer window to transfer window ... where's our long term plan

I want to see the likes of Modric, Bale, Walker etc stay at the club for the next 7-10 years and in order to do that we have to compete domestically and in Europe

I really hope i'm proved wrong and we kick on ...

Robxxx7

I agree with you up to a point, there doesnt seem to be a long term transfer plan. Sure, we are investing in some of the best young prospects both domestically and from europe but we need players who can bring us to the next level NOW when we have the momentum not in 5-6 years time...

We certainly haven't got the 'marque' signing that HR has been talking bout for the last 2 years.

At the same time, if we weren't in the CL (or thereabouts last year) we wouldnt have gooten VDV or Ade and we really would have struggled to keep Bale and Modric.

I'm saying we could have been an even stronger team than we are now

We still have an awful lot of dead wood at the club ... we also have players that are injured alot
    King
    Gallas
    Nelsen ?

We have no cover for our wingers ! .. if Ade gets injured we are left with Defoe and Saha

As i said i'm not normally pessimistic but come the summer we have got some serious buying and selling to do.

I remember Harry saying that to get the top top players we need champions league football ... we got it and still didn't get those top top players

We seem to have a short term plan from transfer window to transfer window ... where's our long term plan

I want to see the likes of Modric, Bale, Walker etc stay at the club for the next 7-10 years and in order to do that we have to compete domestically and in Europe

I really hope i'm proved wrong and we kick on ...

I don't know how you can criticise our lack of a long term plan when we have improved every season very steadily since Levy took charge. More steadily than any other team in the Premiership I think.

I think Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart and Adebayor are all top players for starters.

You're saying we have too much dead wood yet not enough cover?

Cover for our wingers comes in the shape of Dos Santos, Rose and Kranjcar. Modric can do a job there. Walker could excel there. Bentley may show up again some day.

If Ade gets injured we're left with Saha, Defoe and VdV. Not many teams have more than 4 strikers. Especially teams who play with only one out and out striker.

But i will say looking on the optimistic side of things ...

Next season we will have the following;

Caulker ... been a top player for Swansea this season
    Naughton ... Been consistent for Norwich and hopefully will come back after his loan period a better player just like Walker did
    Adam Smith .. Looked very good for MK Dons and another step up for him joining Leeds

So not all doom and gloom :D

• Advertisement

Robxxx7

I agree with you up to a point, there doesnt seem to be a long term transfer plan. Sure, we are investing in some of the best young prospects both domestically and from europe but we need players who can bring us to the next level NOW when we have the momentum not in 5-6 years time...

We certainly haven't got the 'marque' signing that HR has been talking bout for the last 2 years.

At the same time, if we weren't in the CL (or thereabouts last year) we wouldnt have gooten VDV or Ade and we really would have struggled to keep Bale and Modric.

But that is the long term transfer plan.

We don't get big enough crowds, we haven't had a steady stream of champions league money and we don't have an Abramovich or Al Mubarak owner.

As a result, it isn't financially viable for us to pay 100k+ wages. As a result, we can't make marquee signings. We have to sign young players with potential and old players with experience. That is the plan.

The odd time we get lucky with a VdV or an Adebayor, but that is the exception, not the rule.

It's possible Modric will leave for more money this summer. It's probable Bale will leave when he is 24 or so. If we get Champions League and do well and keep doing well, maybe we can start offering bigger wages. If we get a new stadium, that would become viable in the long term.

Until then, get real!

I don't know how you can criticise our lack of a long term plan when we have improved every season very steadily since Levy took charge. More steadily than any other team in the Premiership I think.

I think Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart and Adebayor are all top players for starters.

You're saying we have too much dead wood yet not enough cover?

Cover for our wingers comes in the shape of Dos Santos, Rose and Kranjcar. Modric can do a job there. Walker could excel there. Bentley may show up again some day.

If Ade gets injured we're left with Saha, Defoe and VdV. Not many teams have more than 4 strikers. Especially teams who play with only one out and out striker.

Dead wood
    Bentley
    Pav (gone now)
    Dos Santos
    Jenas
    Gomes

Long term ?
    Nelsen
    Gallas
    Saha
    Friedl
    Cudicini

Will we actually spend the cash to get Adebayor ?

As i said earlier in order to keep the likes of Modric, Bale etc for the long term we have to show ambition.

We have plenty to be happy about for sure .. jeez i remember us in the 90's when we were shocking and in the mid 70's when we were even worse ...

We have a 1st eleven that can beat anyone on there day and i would like to see us as virtual certs for Champions league place every year.

But no point in selling the likes of Pav for 9m and bringing in Saha as a replacement .. if you have the same replacement there again this time next year.

Harry said last night that we tried to sign Krasic but at 15m we didn't have the money ....
    So where's the money gone then ?

I dunno ... perhaps i'm being overly pessimistic :rolleyes:

Dead wood
    Bentley
    Pav (gone now)
    Dos Santos
    Jenas
    Gomes

Long term ?
    Nelsen
    Gallas
    Saha
    Friedl
    Cudicini

Will we actually spend the cash to get Adebayor ?

As i said earlier in order to keep the likes of Modric, Bale etc for the long term we have to show ambition.

We have plenty to be happy about for sure .. jeez i remember us in the 90's when we were shocking and in the mid 70's when we were even worse ...

We have a 1st eleven that can beat anyone on there day and i would like to see us as virtual certs for Champions league place every year.

But no point in selling the likes of Pav for 9m and bringing in Saha as a replacement .. if you have the same replacement there again this time next year.

Harry said last night that we tried to sign Krasic but at 15m we didn't have the money ....
    So where's the money gone then ?

I dunno ... perhaps i'm being overly pessimistic :rolleyes:

I think Spurs have always shown ambition. I don't want us to spend money we don't have, a la Leeds.

I'd say it's unlikely we will be able to keep Adebayor. I reckon his work rate could drop drastically if he got a fat contract anyway.

I think Spurs have always shown ambition. I don't want us to spend money we don't have, a la Leeds.

I'd say it's unlikely we will be able to keep Adebayor. I reckon his work rate could drop drastically if he got a fat contract anyway.

Think you are right there :)

True ..don't want us to end up like Leeds ... we have done exceptionally well considering the money that City, United and Chelsea has spent .. but we know that each year it will get harder and harder to break into this top 4 ... anyway
    looking forward to seeing the future tonight against Liverpool in the nextGen

What? I thought he paid Brum a few million to take that cnut away from us :D

But that is the long term transfer plan.

We don't get big enough crowds, we haven't had a steady stream of champions league money and we don't have an Abramovich or Al Mubarak owner.

As a result, it isn't financially viable for us to pay 100k+ wages. As a result, we can't make marquee signings. We have to sign young players with potential and old players with experience. That is the plan.

The odd time we get lucky with a VdV or an Adebayor, but that is the exception, not the rule.

It's possible Modric will leave for more money this summer. It's probable Bale will leave when he is 24 or so. If we get Champions League and do well and keep doing well, maybe we can start offering bigger wages. If we get a new stadium, that would become viable in the long term.

Until then, get real!

Well i dunno about you, but I find that utterly depressing.

What? I thought he paid Brum a few million to take that cnut away from us :D

Nope, he is still a Spurs "player". Somehow I doubt we will get our 16m back on him.

Well i dunno about you, but I find that utterly depressing.

Well you could look at it that way. You could also look at the fact that it is liable to get worse. When we eventually start to build a new stadium or redevelop WHL, our finances will be screwed for years with the crippling cost. Redknapp will turn into the new Wenger, saying he doesn't need new signings, while promoting blatantly inferior players from the youth team.

.. which is probably why we are top heavy on 'the next big thing' in our youth teams. Throw enough muck at the wall and eventually some of it will stick.

.. which is probably why we are top heavy on 'the next big thing' in our youth teams. Throw enough muck at the wall and eventually some of it will stick.

Well yeah discovering youth talent is a trial and error process for all clubs. For every success story there will be at least 10 failures.

I hope we are top heavy with the next big things, as the only way a club our size can get top players is where they become top players after joining us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hey, maybe Saha is remy bait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

a fairly drab transfer window for every club in the the top half of the table so its pretty much as you were till may,not a bad thing really because i thought that the gooners and chelski would try and buy their way into the CL places but they didnt thank god.
    as for us i think that levy is adopting a wait and see approach to spurs' future.with harrys court case ongoing and the england job up for grabs in the summer he was never going to sanction big money moves for a player that might not fit into any new managers plans(if there is to be one).
    i belive there is money to spend in the summer for one or two big players,the sales of...
    crouch
    hutton
    keane
    palacios
    pav
    and o'hara
    have brought in well over 30 million and with only parker brought in for 5 million there is a nice nice little pot for the manager to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

We are investing money in the squad, in one sense- tying down our best players to long term contracts. Our problem has often been that we bought a good player, but sold one the same time.
    The core of the team is good- we are getting more consistent all the time, both in our pattern of play and our focus.
    Saha is a clever choice, in that he is as similar as could be to Adebayor when at his best. Playing in the current Everton team meant in many matches he was starved of chances. Remember Sir les, a little past his best i know, utterly wasted in a pretty ordinary spurs team.
    I agree with bradolf (change the name). why would levy chuck money to a manager who might be off inthe summer.
    If levy has been hoarding up the pennies, someone should have 50-60m to spend, next window especially if we flog the players who aren't needed in the summer.
    If it's Harry, he would have earned that chance, if he leaves, that's the kind of fund that would attract a top top manager. I'm good with that. Now let's go and win the title, it's there for us. We've the same squad that put us in contention, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

giancarlo gallifuoco?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

giancarlo gallifuoco?
    Ya he's been at the club a while he plays midfield/defence didn't realise we hadn't signed him until I saw that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Hatch99 wrote: »

Nothing spent, €8m recouped. Daniel keeping the money for the new manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Nothing spent, €8m recouped. Daniel keeping the money for the new manager?

im afraid thats exactley what i was thinking too:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think it's just as likely Daniel and harry wanted remy and and were happy to wait until summer to get him.

Advertisement